1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

eBay pulls Google Adwords campaign

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by speda1, Jun 13, 2007.

1. LinkSales

LinkSales Active Member

Best Answers:
    So basically we wont get the 1/5 of a cent we normally get on abstract phrases. Oh well.

LinkSales, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  2. deedeedum

deedeedum Peon

Best Answers:
    Ebay is the biggest advertiser on Google in terms of revenue. So it's hard to say how this would affect Adsense users. Adwords users might benefit with less competition.

deedeedum, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  3. CriminalOrigins

CriminalOrigins Peon

Best Answers:
    eBay doesn't really need advertising anyway :p

It's good to see Google make a little less money :)

CriminalOrigins, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  4. KingNomar

KingNomar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yup, saw it, hope it wont effect any earnings

KingNomar, Jun 14, 2007 IP
  5. Epica

Epica Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow - thanks for linking the article - I must be living in a box this is the first I had heard of this

I think someone at Google is probably updating their resume right now - whoever championed the tactic of going head to head with eBay/PayPal compelling their userbase to defect should be looking for a job they can handle - one with a paper hat might be more their level.

PayPal has a well fortified position as a pioneer, leader and veteran provider and is deeply, deeply entrenched in the market place. Google is a well-known brand but has no credibility in this vertical and is already percieved as having far too much access to far too much information - coupling that personal inforamation with financial transaction information just becomes unignorably unsettling...

Ebay has been the 'bigger man' for most of the posturing stage - they realized that while a bit threatening, competition is also both healthy and necesarry - they reluctantly integrated Google CheckOut as a payment options into their auction listings/system - that was a huge deal

Google ignored friendly coexistance and brought a gun to the arm wrestling match - eBay retuned the volley by dropping a nuke.

Escalation - oneupmanship is yesterday, these guys are working on a whole new level of 'over-reactions'.

While I agree that it's nice to see someone stirring the Google kettle a bit, I worry about stability in the marketplace - changes in big players strategies and relationships make big waves in the pool.

EDIT:
    Curiousity pricked I started looking around for the latests info - looks like google Checkout team is already reworking their strategy in light of the effects - I hope no one gets whiplash from all the backpeddling...

http://www.e-consultancy.com/news-blog/363561/ebay-spoils-google-s-checkout-party--literally.html

EDIT 2:
    I also realize I was wrong about Google Checkout in Ebay listings etc - it was banned some time ago - I really do live under a rock... :(

Epica, Jun 14, 2007 IP