1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

eBay Partner Network

Discussion in 'eBay' started by ross007, May 29, 2012.

I just got approved by eBay Partner Network and I have to say it is very user friendly. The geo targeting allows you to earn from traffic from other countries, for example, I select the geo targeting banner on my site in the UK and if someone from Spain visits my site, they will see eBay Espania. This therefore maximizes your earnings.

This is not the case with all CPA campaigns. I was losing a lot of leads as the traffic was not accepted from other countries.

Has anyone started using EPN? If so, have you too noticed higher commissions? Your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

ross007, May 29, 2012 IP
  2. markowe

markowe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi - yes, geotargetting works quite well for me. I don't use eBay's tools but my own plugin, but the principle is the same. I deliberately don't target any specific country with most of my sites, and this is the breakdown I get in terms of the number of clicks (this is for 2012 so far, those clicks that earned me anything, at least):

eBay US 53%
    eBay UK 33%
    eBay AU 6%
    eBay CA 4%
    eBay ES 0.7%

So you see I get a LOT of extra clicks from countries I didn't specifically target, though most of it is still US and UK.

I would say the only caveat is that Google will have its own ideas about where to rank your site for specific keywords, and for which country. That's something you can't really control, so you can't necessarily rank in all those countries equally. But geotargetting is great for picking up existing traffic from those countries - I would say that's one of the big upsides of the eBay affiliate program.

P.S. Well done for getting accepted in EPN - for some reason a lot of people still have trouble with that (usually it's because their applications are very poorly filled out, and their sites suck, to be honest!)

Last edited: May 29, 2012
    markowe, May 29, 2012 IP
  3. ross007

ross007 Member

Best Answers:

markowe

Your the Man! Many thanks for sharing, especially the Geo Stats. You seem to be an expert.

ross007, May 29, 2012 IP
  4. markowe

Best Answers:
    * BLUSH * I am no guru, I don't even earn the majority of my online earnings with EPN, but I have been with the program long enough now to have been through all the ups and downs and pretty much figured out what needs to be done to earn money from the program. Also, I have had a lot of great suggestions from users of my plugin along the way, who have suggested cool features that I never thought of that help increase earnings. I mentioned a tip in another thread that I implemented in my own plugin: it does seem to be a good idea to try to block visitors from countries that do not have an eBay program, because they will generate junk clicks and reduce your EPC. I am not 100% sure if that actually increases your earnings too - it does seem to - but in any case I have seen my EPC really stabilise after doing that, and make things much more reliable (eliminating those 0.00 EPC days - arghh!). I am not sure if any of the EPN tools will let you do that, but there are 3rd-party scripts that will.

markowe, May 30, 2012 IP
    Kerosene likes this.
  5. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    I 100% agree.
    Also block useless bots from Russia/Amazon etc.

Kerosene, May 30, 2012 IP
  6. mco65

mco65 Member

Best Answers:
    how can you BLOCK bots from Russia/Amazon or visitors from countries not in EPN??? My EPC is typically very low to start the month and gradually climbs by the end of the month but that first week of the month is brutal! :(

mco65, May 30, 2012 IP
  7. Valid SEO

Valid SEO Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    @Markowe : yeah, i'm very interested with blocking software for specific countries. Is there any plugin supported?

Valid SEO, May 30, 2012 IP
  8. markowe

Best Answers:
    What I have used in the past is this plugin - http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/iq-block-country/ although there seem to be some doubts about the IP database it uses (called Maxmind, something like that) - a lot of inacuraccies, apparently... But anyway, you could entirely block those countries from your site, hopefully.

I also built that functionality into my own Wordbay eBay plugin so it only displays eBay listings to people from eBay countries (and also targets listings to their specific country), and shows the rest Adsense, or whatever you want (I use http://ipinfodb.com to identify the visitor by their IP).

Thing is with all of these solutions, there is no 100% accurate register of country IP addresses, so false positives and inaccuracies are always possible, but still, the overall effect in my opinion is hugely positive because you can block most bad bots that way.

What I am still not 100% sure about is although your EPC will improve by taking these measures, your clicks will also be down of course. So is the net gain positive? I think it is, although it is less clicks, the improvement in EPC makes up for that and then some. I will see at the end of this month, and maybe Kerosene, who is another eBay "old hand" can weigh in here with an opinion.

markowe, May 30, 2012 IP
  9. kenmose

kenmose Active Member

Best Answers:
    Which plugin do you use? Will like to have it if you don't mind.

kenmose, Feb 8, 2013 IP
  10. VaultBoss

VaultBoss Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I need serious, solid advice on how to get approved into EPN.

I tried 3 times in the past 5 years w/o success.

YOUR experience and advice would be highly appreciated too, in my case.
    Please advise, either publicly or privately (if you don't want to reveal your tips).

Thanks!

VaultBoss, Jun 3, 2013 IP
  11. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    How beneficial for me would be taking place in this eBay Partner Network?

richardm55, Jul 14, 2013 IP
  12. drewtoby

drewtoby Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Are you using niche sites or authority sites for EPN?

drewtoby, Jul 14, 2013 IP
  13. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    What do you mean authority sites?

richardm55, Jul 14, 2013 IP
  14. mco65

mco65 Member

Best Answers:
    an example of an authority site would be;
    NFL.com
    the nfl.com site contains information about everything nfl related. The teams, the players, the stadiums, etc.
    neworleanssaints.com would also be an authority site but also a niche site..

an example of a niche site might be;
    SaintsFan.com (not a real site, i don't think).
    an even tigher niche site might be;
    drewbreesfan.com (again, not a real site, i don't think.. just something I made up).

You can see how the niche sites would fall under the NFL.com umbrella. NFL.com is an authority site and the others are niche sites and typically contain less information, pages.

similar examples;
    dog.com (authority site)
    pug.com (authority site but also a niche site)
    mypug.com (niche site).

think of it like a pyramid.
    Authority sites are at the top and niche sites are along the bottom.

mco65, Aug 1, 2013 IP