1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

eBay charges a fee on shipping now... wtf!?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by dcristo, Apr 21, 2016.

This has to be criminal! I think they have been doing this for some time, but I've just realized they now charge a final value fee on shipping costs.

I know why they have done this, it's to discourage sellers from inflating shipping costs to pay less in fees. But it still doesn't justify the change.

If you charge the actual shipping costs, it's now actually costing the seller money to ship the item themselves, which is just ridiculous.

dcristo, Apr 21, 2016 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Geez, I have not been selling on eBay for years, but I believe that they had been doing that way back then. They do it because sellers have tried to embed some of the cost of the product into the shipping fees (both to reduce eBay fees and to make their products come up higher in search results sorted by price) and because they can. I left eBay due to their absolute arrogance and favoring of buyers over sellers, even in the most egregious circumstances.

jrbiz, Apr 22, 2016 IP
  3. Shahzad Jameel

Shahzad Jameel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    eBay and PayPal are though different companies not origin is same. They always discourage seller and give priority to buyer over seller. I am not against buyer protection but there should be something for sellers as well. It might be the part of their business plan.

Shahzad Jameel, Apr 25, 2016 IP
  4. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I remember selling walnut boards on ebay back in 2003-5 (bought them from the Amish dirt cheap, resold on ebay.) Can't even imagine doing the same today with all the fees and whatnot. I'd probably be losing money majorly on the shipping. Those boards were not light.

qwikad.com, Apr 25, 2016 IP
  5. China_girl

China_girl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Haha, I love your first sentence, has to be criminal!!! Yes it was there for quite a while now. Infact that is how they are making money other than taking percentages on each sale. There was a big down fall in 2007-08 where ebay didnot have much sales, I guess that is when they started this new venture of stealing money from the sellers, without much of a hype.

China_girl, Apr 29, 2016 IP
    dcristo likes this.
  6. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I quit ebay when they started taking HALF of my sales, so don't know when this occurred.

What I do know is that IF knowledge of these fees was readily available AT THE TIME SELLERS POST THEIR ADS, ebay is NOT stealing money from sellers. It is the SELLER'S responsibility to know costs in ADVANCE of a sale, whether the sale is on eBay, in a brick-and-mortar store, or even out of the back of a truck. If the seller does not know his costs BEFORE the sale, there is no way he can remain in business for very long.

mmerlinn, Apr 30, 2016 IP
  7. mike30

mike30 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think Ebay owns Paypal. (different companies but same owners)

mike30, May 4, 2016 IP
  8. Mkcoy

Mkcoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's why it's AKA "feebay".

Mkcoy, May 4, 2016 IP
  9. Zirkon Kalti

Zirkon Kalti Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They also charge $0.30 if you refund the buyer.

Zirkon Kalti, May 13, 2016 IP