1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

eBay Affiliate Program Commissions Doubled

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by digitalpoint, Jun 30, 2004.

1. nikolay

nikolay Peon

Best Answers:
    does that mean that active registration is considered to be so only when user buys something? simple bids are not working anymore? if yes, it sucks

nikolay, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No... registrations beocme active even if the user makes a failed bid attempt (that was one of my first questions when I heard about it a few months ago).

digitalpoint, Sep 13, 2005 IP
  3. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    You know, there's a thread about favorite affiliate programs, and I read it. I was suprised to see several that I had signed up for long ago and tried, but decided that they did not work. Some were in their infancy, and I was uncertain they were worth the trouble, or would ever pay. Some I signed up for so long ago that if you said 'SEO' you got a reply of 'HUH?'. And there were no seo tools, data feeds, etc. to help out... lucky if they had any variety of images to use.

I compulsively save the signup emails, I guess I need to go check and see if I ever did register as an affiliate with ebay. Looks tasty.

I could have probably raked in some bucks just sticking it out all this time... SEO or not.:(

NetMidWest, Sep 14, 2005 IP
  4. kirby009

kirby009 Peon

Best Answers:
    I made a couple of .11 cent deals. I guess i should try harder. w/ this ebay:)

kirby009, Jun 26, 2006 IP
  5. Kuraptka

Kuraptka Peon

Best Answers:
    In my opinion, I think the eBay affiliate program is quite mediocre compared to others. The commission you recieve is a fraction of eBay's revenue from the sale, not the actual price the item sold for. eBay's revenue for a sale is very miniscule - it's what 1% of the final bid price? So, essentially, your commission rate for a successful sale is LESS than 1%. That's awful! The norm is 10%. Amazon's is 5-8%. eBay makes money because they have tons and tons of these auctions, and their revenue adds up very quickly.

To make matters worse, selling an eBay item on your website is not easier than selling an Amazon product at all. In fact, it's probably harder since that person has to compete with other bidders , unless it's a BIN.

I've made 2 sales this month in eBay for a pathetic $.10 commission. I've made 10 sales in all so far for $2.50 commission. The only way to make money with eBay is by getting sign-ups, which is difficult now. I mean, who doesn't have an eBay account nowadays?

Dump eBay, and use Adsense or another affiliate program instead. The entire business model of eBay just doesn't translate well into a good affiliate program. There's just not enough profits to go around.

Kuraptka, Jun 26, 2006 IP
  6. dkalweit

dkalweit Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It also depends on what you're selling. If you're trying to sell old/collectors items that aren't available new in stores anymore, Ebay may be one of the only choices available. On my NES site, I'm able to show Ebay auctions for the specific video game they're viewing-- these games were in stores 20 years ago, and aren't even found on the used game shelves most places anymore...

--
    Derek

dkalweit, Jun 26, 2006 IP
  7. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You would be surprised how many people don't have eBay accounts these days... Also, eBay's affiliate program (IMO) is by FAR the best one out there. I know for a fact people are hitting the top payout tiers by a lot (consistently) each month (which works out to a $270,000 check at the minimum payout for top tier).

http://affiliates.ebay.com/program-details/compensation/

eBay's pricing structure is changing next week too... (see this thread)

eBay is all a numbers game. You need to drive a LOT of traffic to make it work... if your end users are low volume, vertical market users, other programs might be better. But if you have a ton of generic users eBay can be quite profitable.

digitalpoint, Jun 26, 2006 IP
  8. stumpyPete

stumpyPete Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with this. I run about 40 eBay sites and do quite well with them. I promote mostly higher ticket items (got a commission on a Ferrari last year ;) www.ferrariz.com ) and I also try to stick to stuff that isn't sold retail anymore. This really cuts down on the competition in Adwords and allows me to pickup cheap clicks - most are under 7 cents.

The best part of promoting eBay is the infinite number of themed sites you can create - there is so much stuff being sold out there, you can always find new niches to promote. Star Wars action figures anyone?:cool:

stumpyPete, Jun 28, 2006 IP
  9. Connections

Connections Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    how do i get affiliated with this one?

I need this kind of affiliation for one of my sites

Connections, Jun 28, 2006 IP
  10. wmburg

wmburg Active Member

Best Answers:
    At CJ.com.

wmburg, Jul 1, 2006 IP
  11. successfirst

successfirst Active Member

Best Answers:
    So can you promote individual auctions that you personally pick to promote? Or do you not have any control over what particular auctions are promoted on your site?

Thanks

successfirst, Jul 8, 2006 IP
  12. wmburg

wmburg Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can add your affiliate ID on to any eBay URL.

wmburg, Jul 8, 2006 IP
  13. successfirst

Best Answers:
    Cool! In addition to promoting any eBay URL, I can also have eBay automatically show a list revelant URLs with my affiliate link in it based on a certain category, correct?

14. wmburg

wmburg Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not 100% what you are asking. Are you asking if you link to a category with your ID then every auction in that category will have your ID too? Probably not, but it doesn't matter. I believe that once you send a visitor to eBay with your ID they will set a cookie that is good for 7 days. That means that you should earn commission on anything the user bids on/buys for 7 days.

http://affiliates.ebay.com/tools/linking/

wmburg, Jul 8, 2006 IP
  15. successfirst

Best Answers:
    Sorry... what I mean is if I want to promote show all auctions selling Dell Computers on my site, is there a way I can have eBay show all of the current auctions for Dell Computers on my site with my affiliate link embedded in the link?

Thanks

16. wmburg

wmburg Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, but it will take some programming on your part. eBay offers RSS. You'll have to parse it. Actually, there are probably scripts out there. You'll just have to look.

wmburg, Jul 8, 2006 IP
  17. successfirst

Best Answers:
    Ok, thank you.

18. BlackTactics

BlackTactics Banned

Best Answers:
    how is the affilate prgram now? i see the thread is old. just curious.

BlackTactics, Feb 25, 2009 IP
  19. itismejoshy2

itismejoshy2 Peon

Best Answers:
    not to bring up old post but eBay no longer is part of CJ, and i have been a long time affiliate but now i can't even get accepted into the eBay program? have tried like 20 times....always get denied!

itismejoshy2, Feb 25, 2009 IP
  20. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    It works better than CJ did, the reporting is accurate, fast, and detailed. And I've yet to see any indication of shady practices or fudging.

Mia, Feb 25, 2009 IP