1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Easy way to check you current PR

Discussion in 'Google' started by freaky andy, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    Here is my silly newbie thoughts:

THE HINTS

1. Goog via M Cutts etc stepped up the ante about "paid links"
    2. Circumstantial encouragement of blogs = encourage honest new content
    3. BL update end of July
    4. The (much less reported) related: update happened at the same time
    5. The related: update is very important - if your are "related" now to relevant sites this is good.
    6. Then Goog started updating their directory for the first time in nearly 2 years (why do that without a VERY good reason- resource hungry)
    7. Then they rolled it back (today)
    8. Still no PR update (yep - pants for SERPS) - but see above for reasons why the delay is happening

CONCLUSIONS

These are all clues to the biggest algo update ever IMO.

But heck - I'm a newbie - what do I know :eek:

Wealdie, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  2. bomberman

bomberman Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe that's for you but majority of us suffers while waiting for that PR.

bomberman, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  3. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    Newbie wasting time here?

I did worry so

Wealdie, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  4. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    It consists of 2 elements, pos.gif and neg.gif, unless there is no PR, and then it is a single gif - cleardot.gif. The image you see is a total of 40 pixels, and the pos.gif comes in the following sizes:
    5, 11, 16, 22, 27, 32, and 38 pixels. The first position is the cleardot.gif, which is no PR. (Could be white or gray in the toolbar.)

Right-click on the green part of the PR shown in the directory, select properties, and you can see this for yourself...

It is the same formula, the directory is simply using a different scale. No telling what scale is actually used in the algorithm, but the directory and the toolbar do use 2 different scales. I can only speculate as to why, but it would probably be most logical that they do not wish to show the exact same scale... what might show as 6/8 on the directory is likely to be a 7, but may also be a 6 or 8 on the toolbar... The top ranking shows pos.gif 38 pixels wide, and 2 pixels for neg.gif. It could be a 9 or a 10...
    I think they wish to confuse the issue a bit, to keep the exact PR that is due out shortly from being available.
    http://gfe-mu.google.com/Top/ is still showing 2007 and the updated data for me... but the others listed in the first post of this thread:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=443803
    have rolled back.

Anyone have other urls to directory listings showing updated data?

NetMidWest, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  5. gropius

gropius Peon

Best Answers:
    Great info!

gropius, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  6. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    But the big question that you all seem to be missing is "WHY" is the directory updating after all this time?

Shit like this takes resource - why has Goog allocated this resource, why now?

Open your minds :rolleyes:

Wealdie, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  7. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think it takes actual resources to calculate the directory PR, it is the same PR, simply shown with a different scale. The resources to update the directory are not very heavy, it is the DMOZ with PR pulled and added by a script and sorted... one could do the same thing, similar to a pagerank checking site, easily enough.

Why now? I think they ignored it, tried to de-emphasize the importance of getting a listing in DMOZ. DMOZ has had alot of problems over the past couple of years, and Google was probably trying to remove some of the heat while things were sorted out... DMOZ now has a proper redirect, for one...

Another reason that they may have done so finally is that there were alot of problems with Google as well, including the return of 302 hijacks. Updating the directory, and seeing how the PR of known quality sites fared with the new PR data could give them clues to the status of the canonicalization within the Google index.
    Which, if you think about it, could also be why we are seeing rollbacks...

They may have updated now because some of the directory was showing up under google.us for some strange reason...
    If all things are fair, they got a dupe penalty for that. :cool:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=site:google.us+directory
    shows some of the broken links that have not disappeared yet.

8. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi NetMidWest,

Good logical post. But the real question is: Why has Goog chosen to update the directory at all (as opposed to just leaving it alone or dumping it)

Wealdie, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  9. freaky andy

freaky andy Peon

Best Answers:
    A few months ago dmoz was undergoing some sort of maintenance. It was shut down for three or four months with no new listing being added. if I were to speculate, I would say that dmoz did that on the request from Google. After all, dmoz has been an authority for a number of years and Google has been using its resources. Unfortunately, as it is often the case, editors started to list a lot of garbage in that directory (for a number of reasons - yes, sometimes money changed hands). Probably, Google asked dmoz to clean up the place, so that they could start relying on dmoz resources again. (sort of a conspiracy theory :D )
    This might answer the question why directory was finally updated

Updated Google directory is back :D

freaky andy, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  10. freaky andy

freaky andy Peon

Best Answers:
    Directory shows some strange results and that's what worries me. I see sites that clearly have a pr but in the directory they don't (zid, zilch, no pr0 even). That's not a mistake on the part of Google. I think they onto something here. If I was a webmaster of one of those sites, I would start thinking now how to please Google in the future. You may not be banned right away but the clues are there and you might be on the right track to disaster. It's already too late because the update has already taken place, but I think placing some non-controversial content on the site, rebuilding some pages could convince Google that you're changing, which could prevent a potential ban.
    I think you're right. The update will disappoint a lot of people. I've seen some site (government sites) that lost pr. This is gonna be a big change in the way Google sees your pages.
    Again, Just a speculation, We'll have to wait and see

The whole paid links debate is simply ridiculous. Google sells links but tells you not to do that, because that may affect their serps. I think that's their problem. They should design their algo in such a way that you could link to anyone you please - after all, what's wrong with linking to a cell phone site from your home improvement site? When you write a book you are the author of the whole story. Google knows that it is No1 in the search engine market and without being listed there, any website will become invisible. But it should not use that market advantage to tell you that from no on you can link only to related sites or use their nofollow tag.

11. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's a good article on DMOZ:
    http://www.seo-news.com/archives/2006/dec/21.html
    The last section discusses the editing and submission being down - an AOL server crashed.
    There were some redirect problems, here is a blog entry that discusses the redirect problems:
    http://www.seo-scoop.com/2006/12/13/trickle-down-effect-of-a-dying-dmoz/
    302 hijacks will cause a PR0 problem, as can canonical errors - such as bad redirects and linking to the domain with and without the www prefix. But you are right, it could be a ban in the works as well and the Google Directory makes for an excellent early warning system for any number of problems.

12. freaky andy

freaky andy Peon

Best Answers:
    Good read, though I looked at that time from a different perspective. I wanted to get one of my sites listed in dmoz and waited for submission form to be active again. When it became active, I filled it out and waited, checking the category i submitted my website to on daily basis. What I noticed was that a few sites simply disappeared from that category. They also changed the description of some sites. In the end it turned out that all the submission forms or most of them got lost. I found that out when I contacted the editor for that category. I was a bit pissed off that I had been waiting for two months or so. He said that the forms were gone and asked me to resubmit my site, informing him about it by mail too. I did that the same day and was listed within minutes. Looking at that from the time perspective, I think they did more than just resolving some server issues.

13. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    Fascinating articles - thanks for sharing

Wealdie, Aug 30, 2007 IP
  14. Batista

Batista Guest

Best Answers:
    i dont have any information about so
    what can i say if you have pls post me as soon as possible

Batista, Aug 30, 2007 IP
  15. mrcrowley

mrcrowley Peon

Best Answers:
    A link in google directory would be nice... just wish the update would hurry up :p

mrcrowley, Aug 30, 2007 IP
  16. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    It looks to me like the directory update is stable now, after yesterdays roll back, accessed from:

dir.google.com/top/
    directory.google.com/top/
    google.com/top/

These "2007" pages are not cached in the search index yet though :)

Wealdie, Aug 30, 2007 IP
  17. americantruckbuyer

americantruckbuyer Banned

Best Answers:

hey frd .... u said that my site http://www.premierug.com is there in google directory (as i had said that its in dmoz and not in google dir ) am not able to see it in that category as well...

may i know how did u got it ????

Puneet M

americantruckbuyer, Aug 30, 2007 IP
  18. ron21

ron21 Banned

Best Answers:
    what directory you are pointing too?

ron21, Aug 30, 2007 IP
  19. freaky andy

freaky andy Peon

Best Answers:
    We're taking about Google directory and dmoz (hard to say if they're not the same)

freaky andy, Aug 30, 2007 IP
  20. freaky andy

freaky andy Peon

Best Answers:
    you are listed at http://www.google.com/Top/Regional/Africa/Uganda/Business_and_Economy/?il=1
    sixth from the top
    under Premier Engineering Works Ltd pr3
    I typed the address in and got the result - I guess that's all that there is to it.

freaky andy, Aug 30, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.