1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Easy way to check you current PR

Discussion in 'Google' started by freaky andy, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freaky andy

freaky andy Peon

Best Answers:
    There might be a simple explanation for it, though it's only speculation on my part. When Google updates directory it takes a snapshot of dmoz at a specific time (just like a regular pr update). Your site might have been added after the snapshot was taken and hence the difference. Your site will certainly be listed in Google directory at the next update (provided that Google will still continue updating it)
    Perhaps someone else has a different take on this one?

freaky andy, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  2. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    Most easy way is to use Google toolbar.

Or any good reliable tool.

I can offer mine for you ;)

:D:D

Mong, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  3. dynn

dynn Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I also have the same problem whereby one of my site listed in dmoz but not in google directory.

dynn, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  4. kirby009

kirby009 Peon

Best Answers:
    cool info, but i wonder why they are taking to long at updating the toolbar.

kirby009, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  5. freaky andy

freaky andy Peon

Best Answers:
    Mong, your tool is great but frankly, it's useful only in the time of crisis (read PR Update). Normally, it's easier to look at the toolbar and see the actual PR. If you want to check if the pr is real or fake, here comes good uncle Google offering services. All you have to do is to type the name of the domain and see the result - you know all that so I will not teach you :D
    You're talking about Google directory here. It displays PR ahead of the toolbar PR export - in a way you can say that it is a "pr prediction tool".

Pr update has already taken place and we're waiting for the pr export. Who knows why it is taking so long. My prediction is that Google is doing some serious clean up, making Jagger look like an innocent baby. I see a lot of sites disappearing from index or heading for potential troubles. I think in a few days or weeks we'll see a lot of changes and hopefully a new toolbar pr.

@Dynn
    I think the directory did not catch your site because the site was added after the update. This a wild guess. But if I'm wrong, then you might face some serious problems in the near future.

freaky andy, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  6. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    Proof you can lead a jackass to info, but you can't make him think...
    Try right clicking on the green part, or the gray part, and looking at the properties of the image. Same old scale... of 8. No matter what you see, or speculate upon.

Those of you who are expecting to see your site in the Google directory should bear in mind you may not be seeing an updated version...
    some may, served to them based on their own location.
    Try checking here:
    http://gfe-mu.google.com/Top/
    and checking for the 2007 copyright at the bottom of the page, no matter which server you are using...

NetMidWest, Aug 28, 2007 IP
  7. freaky andy

freaky andy Peon

Best Answers:
    You're focusing on the image properties but I'm interested in what's behind it. The image is just a graphical representation that you can create in a variety of ways. Whether it consists of 8 or 10 pieces it doesn't matter. What matters is the final product of the image. To see that directory uses scale from 1 to 8 means that Google has two different scales of ranking each page in its index. What for?
    What you seem to be saying is that in toolbar my page is ranked at 4, which is below the toolbar center but in the directory it is exactly in the middle. Some seo analyzed a stupid image, which can be a single piece as far as I care. Would you then say that Google uses a scale from 0 to 1?

I believe that all pages displaying the 2007 copywrite statement are updated with the most current data. Do you believe that Google would use an old data to update its directory? What would be the point of updating it then? I didn't bother checking a lot of pages in the address you quoted but those that I've seen have been updated.

freaky andy, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  8. nataliafabisz

nataliafabisz Banned

Best Answers:
    I wonder how accurate Goggle directory will be for pagerank prediction?

nataliafabisz, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  9. freaky andy

freaky andy Peon

Best Answers:
  10. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a proven fact, not a debate. You are unwilling to accept the proof or to analyze the data available for yourself...

And yes, http://gfe-mu.google.com/Top/ is showing new data. That was the whole point of posting the url, AFAIK this server is showing 2007 for everyone.
    You keep speaking of the directory under the www as updated - but from where I am located, I am not being served the new data. The copyright is 2005 on those pages for me.

NetMidWest, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  11. freaky andy

freaky andy Peon

Best Answers:
    What is so proven? The fact that the image consists of 8 elements? The directory shows a pagrank. Pagerank is a register trademark of Google. Are there two different numbers under the very same name? Do you think they would calculate to different pageranks to confuse everyone? What's the purpose of that? Do you also think that they have nothing better to do than running two different pr formulas?

Try a different data center.

12. sebie

sebie Banned

Best Answers:
    I tend to agree that it doesn't make any sense to have two different pr scales

sebie, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  13. freaky andy

freaky andy Peon

Best Answers:
  14. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi all, first post but have been lurking for a while

Freaky Andy,

I have been looking at the G Directory update with interest - but today all seems to have rolled back to 2005 data - are you seeing the same?

Wealdie, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  15. freaky andy

freaky andy Peon

Best Answers:
    I think some of the data centers might be behind. Check a different one, and you'll find an updated version.

16. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:
    I did that - but all seem to be rolled back to 2005 - even the one that was stable that you posted

Wealdie, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  17. freaky andy

freaky andy Peon

Best Answers:
    You're right. I guess Google doesn't want people to know what's going on. They must have been reading this thread :D
    I think you will see it back soon. gotta check it on regular basis.

18. Wealdie

Wealdie Guest

Best Answers:

FWIW - I think this is one cog of an indication of a major algo update, perhaps the biggest yet.

But what do I know - silly newbie :)

Wealdie, Aug 29, 2007 IP
  19. freaky andy

freaky andy Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe that you're 100% right. It's gonna shake the web in the foundation.

20. NeoGen

NeoGen Writer

Best Answers:
    Nice Tip: Three of my sites listed in the google directory are seeing improvement in their respective PR wherein one site seems to have lost its PR

NeoGen, Aug 29, 2007 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.