1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Easiest way to transfer Wordpress Site

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by avus276, Jul 4, 2013.

I have an old site that I would like to sell, but being so new to it, I'm not sure what the best way to actually transfer the site is.

I had to do a host migration a few months ago and it took me about 15 hours! I hope that is not the same way to sell my blog.

I can transfer the domain easily, but it is just the MySQL tables and files that I am curious about.

avus276, Jul 4, 2013 IP
  2. themes4all

themes4all Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    themes4all, Jul 4, 2013 IP
  3. (BN)Nolan

(BN)Nolan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you have access to WHM, there's an option to transfer over the entire cPanel account by connecting to the server the site is on. There are also options to change the DNS zone files to direct to the new server too so no downtime is experienced and no dynamic content is lost due to an aged backup file.

Additionally, you can ask your hosting provider to transfer it. I run a host and do this for free for all of my clients if they ask, maybe yours will too.

(BN)Nolan, Jul 4, 2013 IP
  4. softech02

softech02 Banned

Best Answers:
    Its the best way.
    However if you aren't sure, you can backup sql file from phpmyadmin, and all the wp files. upload the files to your server, configure configuration file based on previous setting. then import database and you are done.

softech02, Jul 5, 2013 IP
  5. wendallb

wendallb Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use a plugin called "duplicator" and it works well. You can find it in the wordpress repository

wendallb, Jul 5, 2013 IP
  6. avus276

avus276 Peon

Best Answers:
    My hosting company charges if the buyer has a different host.

Thanks for the wordpress plugins guys. I appreciate it

avus276, Jul 5, 2013 IP
  7. amcg

amcg Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's super easy if you know how to use cPanel and An FTP client...

1) In Wordpress Admin, go to Settings, Permalinks and change it back to default. This stops any problems when moving your site with getting 404 errors etc.
    2) Log In to your cPanel, go to Backups and download a backup of your sites wordpress database.
    3) Login to your FTP software, copy the whole sites folders and files to your harddrive.
    4) While the site is being copied, login to your new hosts cPanel, add the domain name as an Addon domain if your running more than one site on that account.
    5) Go to My SQL Databases in cPanel, create a new database and a user, and assign the user to the database with full privliges. Note down the data base name, user and password.
    6) Go to PHP My Admin in cPanel and find your database name on the left, click it to open it.
    7) At the top click Import, select the database file you down loaded as a back up previously from the old host.
    8) When your site folders are transferred to your hard drive, log on to your FTP on your new host.
    9) Transfer the folders and files from your hard drive into the relevant domain folder on your new host.
    10) When done, open up your config.php file on the new host (I'm using my iPhone at the moment so I can't tell you where it is exactly but I think it's in the main Wordpress folder).
    11) In this file edit the database name, user and password with your new details from the new database you made earlier.
    12) Your site should now be moved!

Don't forget to update your domain with the new nameservers, which may take up to 48 hours to start working with your new host.

Hope this helps!

Andy.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
    amcg, Jul 6, 2013 IP