1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

E-mail web clients

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by krampus, Sep 5, 2017.

Is there anyone who have had a situation that your web app is sending cca 10k to 15k transnational e-mails per day and that you need to track all them in your e-mail client?

What web e-mail client did you use? I don't need local e-mail clients like Outlook or Thunderbird or similar, I really need some web online e-mail inbox to track it.

I already have RoundCube and Squirrel mail and Horde on my Cpanel, but they are not able to work with so much e-mails that we have right now. Now we have cca 700k (700 000) e-mails in our inbox and when ever I work with RoundCube, Squirrel or Horde, they stop working and cant open inbox at all.

I have been using Gmail before, but Gmail have a limitation of receiving 800 mails per day (or similar) so I can not use gmail anymore.

Do you have any suggestion what to use?
    Thanks

krampus, Sep 5, 2017 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Do you actually need to read them, or could you have a script reading them and just presenting you with the counts - in which case don't use webmail.

sarahk, Sep 5, 2017 IP
  3. krampus

krampus Active Member

Best Answers:
    interesting question - actually I don't need to read them. I'm using them as a copy of all our e-mails that we are sending to the clients. So in the case that somebody of our clients asks if we have send them some e-mail (like some reservation or voucher) then we can check that there.
    Maybe the whole process that we do - we do wrong - but that is the best that we can do right now.
    Maybe we should do some reading from the server as you have mentioned and then mark them in our database as "sent".
    Does anybody is doing this reading with a script? If yes, for how often (probably with some crone job)?

krampus, Sep 5, 2017 IP
  4. aGig

aGig Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just a quick thought..

If its webmail you need I'd look at setting up your own installation of RoundCube and set it to save user accounts in the database so the load is not on IMAP each time you login. I'm guessing cPanel's install does not build user profiles in the database.

Outlook filters work ok with POP/IMAP, but much better with Exchange servers.

Mark

aGig, Sep 5, 2017 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I have a system that I've written that creates a record when an email is about to be sent and the email system uses that record to query the database and construct the email and then send it. We know exactly when it was sent. We can reconstruct the email if we need to and the record is kept permanently on the recipients file so we can see at a glance what got sent and when.

We do the actual send through Mandrill and for a limited time they store what they sent too.

Avoid using desktop Outlook unless they've fixed their 4gb pst file size problem.

You'll find plenty about using php to read emails. @digitalpoint has a system on outgress.com that must read a phenomenal number of emails every hour - it's very doable however I agree with you about needing to step back and look at the problem you're trying to solve and is there a better strategy.

sarahk, Sep 5, 2017 IP
  6. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Forget about trying to do it in an email client. If you are purely looking for email sending logs, simply log it to a database while you are sending it. Then you have data you can query at any point. Depending on your skillset, you could add some code to the email that calls back to your server and would allow you to then also see when the email was opened/viewed (not 100% accurate because it depends on the mail client the user is using, but you can get decent accuracy with it). If more advanced analytics like the time between sending and the user viewing the email isn't something you need, might not be worth the effort.

digitalpoint, Sep 5, 2017 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    FWIW the webhooks from Mandrill make the collection of the send/open/bounce data per email sendout (particularly for newsletters) really easy. We don't create lists of subscribers in mailchimp so we're on the cheapest package but send loads of emails.

sarahk, Sep 5, 2017 IP
  8. thexyz

thexyz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You may want to check our Webmail app out over at thexyz.com

• No ads
    • No sending limits (just no more than 250 of the same message)
    • 25 GB of storage
    • Secure and encrypted

Use your own domain and just $1.95 per mailbox/per month.

thexyz, Sep 7, 2017 IP