1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

duplicate meta warning in spite of canonical link ok

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by gkyazna, Mar 12, 2018.

I keep getting duplicate meta warnings in Google Search Console for 2 urls of the same page that has canonical link implemented.

Here is a sample duo I get the warning:

/p/158414/Workbook-Caiet-engleza-Auxiliar-pentru-clasa-Raluca-Benta[​IMG]
    /p/158414/workbook-caiet-de-engleza-auxiliar-pentru-clasa-i[​IMG]

Problem is at some point I changed url building pattern (second is actual). I imagine Google has kept old link somehow in (some) google index.

When I changed naming I thought url canonical will help Google but as I can see, in case of the warning it doesn't.

The only thing that keeps me not too much worried about this is that it only reports 78 warnings for a website with over 100k products so this might be some delay in crawling (though I do get usualiy 2-3k at least googlebot hits).

Any similar experiences?

gkyazna, Mar 12, 2018 IP
  2. mrb1129

mrb1129 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you have changed your urls then have you 301 redirected them properly?

mrb1129, Mar 13, 2018 IP
  3. gkyazna

gkyazna Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    nope, both links are still working since it is only url rewrite; a redirect would solve the problem but it is not my intention since it only put useless delays in serving page both for the bot and especially for users; also it would mean more processing for a minor cause; should not canonical rel be enough for google to figure out the correct link?

gkyazna, Mar 15, 2018 IP
  4. Sumit_Singh

Sumit_Singh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You mean, you want to keep both the links, right? And, you want to make one of them a parent, yes you can use a rel="canonical", and get rid of this warning of duplicate meta.

Sumit_Singh, Mar 15, 2018 IP