1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Duplicate index page problem

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Rich@vtws, Jan 3, 2005.

Hello everyone,

I'm a long time lurker here that some may know from other forums finally saying hello. Anyway, we have a site that started bouncing all over the place a few weeks back. I found a duplicate page of the homepage had been indexed by g (w)ww.c21selectgroup.net/?CFID=2778887&CFTOKEN=27075801

We don't use CF and never have so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how this occured and whether simply using a disallow in the robots.txt file would remedy. Thanks in advance :)

Rich@vtws, Jan 3, 2005 IP
  2. mcdar

mcdar Peon

Best Answers:
    Rich@vtws,

This url, (w)ww.c21selectgroup.net/?CFID=2778887&CFTOKEN=27075801, looks like it is a result of a link from another website!

Is you site listed in any of the large directories?

I have seen cases where large directory sites literally copy the main page of another site and store it on their site. So when you click on the link in the directory your main page (or what looks like your main page opens on their site first then quickly redirects to the real site. The additional code (/?CFID=2778887&CFTOKEN=27075801) is a call to the stored version of the site linked to and a counter for the directory.

When big sites do this they can effectively displace your site in the serps because the original site/page (usually a much smaller site) is counted as the the duplicate by Google.

Could this possibly be what is happening?

Caryl

mcdar, Jan 3, 2005 IP
  3. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    You to contact the company and get them to remove the link in their robots.txt file and then visit the removal page in Google. Basically, they sign up, and enter the URL of your robots.txt page - within 24 hours they will then remove this URL from the index.

I don't know how long it will take to get your rankings back or if you have being penalised when this will be lifted but it's the quickest way of getting rid of a page in the Google index.

DarrenC, Jan 3, 2005 IP
  4. TechEvangelist

TechEvangelist Guest

Best Answers:
    I agree with Caryl (mcdar). My first take on this was that Google picked the link up from another site. It should not be hard to find the source of the link. You do need to get them to correct it.

You should be able to find it by doing a search for that exact URL (with the CF parameters) in Google. If you cannot find the source in Google, try searching for the URL in Yahoo and MSN.

TechEvangelist, Jan 3, 2005 IP
  5. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    That page isn't indexed in any search engine.

DarrenC, Jan 3, 2005 IP
  6. Rich@vtws

Rich@vtws Guest

Best Answers:
    Makes some sense now but how am I going to find the site that glommed the page??? Copyscape doesn't show it. I know we've listed in a few directories but there are many more that probably picked it up on there own.

7. Rich@vtws

Rich@vtws Guest

Best Answers:
    Now I'm in the twighlight zone...LOL google had it indexed yesterday and the page still showing up but it's nowhere to be found on the server.

here's the cached version on Yahoo: link not live
    http://216.109.117.135/search/cache?p=www.c21selectgroup.net%2F%3FCFID%3D2778887%26CFTOKEN%3D27075801&toggle=1&ei=UTF-8&vst=0&vs=www.c21selectgroup.net&u=www.c21selectgroup.net/%3FCFID%3D2778887%26CFTOKEN%3D27075801&d=5C89FD4243&icp=1&.intl=us]cached

8. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure what's going on here but I just did a whois on the site with the "duplicate page": http://www.whois.sc/www.c21selectgroup.net

It shows this:

Isn't "Richard" you?

minstrel, Jan 3, 2005 IP
  9. minstrel

Best Answers:
    And the other IP you mentioned is a company, not a host:

minstrel, Jan 3, 2005 IP
  10. Rich@vtws

Rich@vtws Guest

Best Answers:
    Minstrel,

The duplicate page is bringing up the correct whois data??? What could be causing that. The domain c21selectgroup.net is registered to me but could the whois search using the dupe page url simply be calling up the main domain info or is there something else terribly wrong going on here?
    Thanks for the help.

11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    minstrel, Jan 3, 2005 IP
  12. minstrel

Best Answers:
    No, I did the whois.

I don't think it's a duplicate page: it's a Yahoo portal which points to your site -- they have a funny way of constructing links from their portals which uses Yahoo as a prefix.

minstrel, Jan 3, 2005 IP
  13. Rich@vtws

Rich@vtws Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks Minstrel :)

I greatly appreciate the help. Guess I'll cross this off the list of reasons why this site has been bouncincing from page 1 to page 4 for weeks now ;)

All our other sites have been very stable and improved through the last shakeup but this one is giving me fits :rolleyes:

Hope I can return the favor some time :cool: