1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Duplicate Content!

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by San Diego Real Estate, Jan 31, 2005.

Can anyone shed the light on how bad the SE's view duplicate content?

Please advise???

San Diego Real Estate, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  2. fsolm1

fsolm1 Member

Best Answers:
    Duplicate content on the same domain? or a different domain?

I have seen duplicate content, or portions and chunks of content do ok within the same domain. Different domains with duplicate content start to get hairy.

Same or different? That is a big factor I'd say

fsolm1, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  3. SanDiego

SanDiego Active Member

Best Answers:
    plus it depends on the percentage of how much dup content.... :eek:
    I'd suggest very very little if ANY if it's a different domain...

SanDiego, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  4. San Diego Real Estate

San Diego Real Estate Peon

Best Answers:
    What if its on a redirect link that is used for lead tracking and the site is fully duplicated?

5. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    The duplicate content filters have been heavily adjusted recently...

I would be very careful if I were you...

SEbasic, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  6. San Diego Real Estate

Best Answers:
    MSN is still showing us in the top 5 and Yahoo we are number 1 but Google is a whole different story!

Any advise...

7. dfsweb

dfsweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    Same story for a lot of people. I mentioned my new website's case on the MSN forum. Here's the short version of it:

Launched mid-Jan, promoted for last two weeks of Jan, submitted to major directories and search engines (200 BLs so far approx.), #2 in MSN yesterday for "New Zealand Photography". :) The site's the one in my signature.

But, I am expecting (rather hoping) to achieve similar results (or even get to the top 10) by the end of the year in Google. Google is very moody and looks for a lot more in websites than conventional SEs.

My advice to you: Keep getting BLs, build your website bigger with better content, so that you can get repeat traffic (and more BLs even) from the visitors who reach you through MSN, Yahoo et al.

dfsweb, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  8. San Diego Real Estate

Best Answers:
    Do you feel that submitting to Yahoo or DMOZ is worth the time & Money while I concentrate on building BL's?

9. Cyclops

Cyclops sensei

Best Answers:
    I asked this question in another thread a few days ago......from the limited response I got it looks like no one really knows what constitutes duplicate content and what doesn't.

If there is content on one of your pages and someone has the same content on one of their pages do both sites suffer a penalty. It really doesn't make sense as the same information about products can be on many sites.

I want to place articles on my site about products....I am sure many other sites that deal with this product already have these articles....do I have to rewrite all of them ??

I actually rang Google and got to speak to a "real person" about this but he was as useless as girly bits on a bull....all he could do was direct me to this page http://www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.html and all it has on duplicate content is,

>>>Don't create multiple pages, subdomains, or domains with substantially duplicate content.<<<

Cyclops.

Cyclops, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  10. dfsweb

dfsweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    You should definitely submit to DMOZ. For the few minutes it takes for a submission, you could get a PR4 or PR5 link, as most directories are quite highly ranked. But, once you submit it forget about it. Do the submission once, and do it right. 'cos if you submit again, you will end up at the bottom of the queue.

On the other hand, don't keep your hopes up as I have submitted sites in the past to DMOZ. I have waited for several months for a couple, emailed DMOZ as well. But, nothing! Inclusion depends a lot on the editor of your category, but it's worth a shot anyway.

You can do a free submission to Yahoo if you want, and let it find you. It might take a while depending upon the category etc. I set-up a new site two weeks ago and it has already (the home page) been spidered by Yahoo. :)

dfsweb, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  11. San Diego Real Estate

Best Answers:
    Did you use the Yahoo Free submission or Rapid Submission process?

12. dfsweb

dfsweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    Free submission!! :D Not bad, eh??
    Try site:www.newzealandphotography.co.nz on Yahoo search and you will see that my home page has been cached. I suppose the rest of the site would be crawled too, sooner or later.

I have just been submitting the sites to heaps of categories, submitted it to Yahoo's free submission and MSN Beta.

MSN's great too. It's cached 8 pages (all pages 1 level down from the home page) and around 250 BLs. :eek: I think that not many people are using MSN Beta at the moment and so all server resources are being used towards spidering new sites, plus Microsoft are out there 'trying' to make a point. So, this might be the best time to "submit and shine" on MSN. Best of luck!

dfsweb, Jan 31, 2005 IP
  13. Gutsy

Gutsy Peon

Best Answers:
    My site GutFeel did get accepted on the dmoz directory very soon after the submission. Maybe i tried it only once and that helped.

Though i feel that listing in the directories and adding new content to the site helps in increasing page ranking, i am really thinking about how to turn the hits into members of my forum.

Regarding the duplicate content issue, what would you do in such a situation:

Some other site displaying the links to the content from your site. Would you think of it as an offence?

Gutsy, Feb 1, 2005 IP
  14. San Diego Real Estate

Best Answers:
    Are there any other Free Directories worth the effort?

San Diego Real Estate, Feb 1, 2005 IP
  15. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    This real estate directory is not free but it is worth submitting to eured dot com. Also look to get into Joeant as well. Yahoo and Dmoz are also good. Sites requesting to be included into dmoz however for real estate seem to take forever to get in and if you have a editor that is involved in that market , you may be waiting a very long time to get in if at all.

Las Vegas Homes, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  16. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I am currently editing the Commputer section on JoeAnt and applied for the Real Estate section as well.

Will keep you guys posted :)

Mike

Blogmaster, Feb 3, 2005 IP
  17. San Diego Real Estate

Best Answers:
    Well dfsweb you were absolutely right it will take months for DMOZ they are busy folks! Yahoo does seem to move fairly quick any other advice?

San Diego Real Estate, Mar 1, 2005 IP