1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Duplicate Content?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by johneva, Jul 17, 2012.

Hi

I am in need of some advise, we are soon going to be launching our new website.

The website is for a car leasing business and we list all the different models of vehicles and some of these pages are quite similar in terms of content simply as the vehicles are very similar, just one with air con and one does not ect. Is this a problem?

Further to this and my main concern is we are going to have reviews of the model available, now the reviews will be the same on many pages as its the same vehicle, for example.

The review is about lets say Ford Mondeo Estate, now if our site lists 20 Mondeo estates the review tab of each page will be the same review, as its the same vehicle just different engine or spec.

Would this cause problems?

Cheers
    John

johneva, Jul 17, 2012 IP
  2. andersonsjohn

andersonsjohn Banned

Best Answers:
    I think it may not cause any problems if your website is thrilling....

andersonsjohn, Jul 17, 2012 IP
  3. sameer_max

sameer_max Active Member

Best Answers:
    as your saying that, every page will be having same review with small changes., but in view of google it is consider as a duplicate content (i think), but by placing rel="canonical" tag, there is no duplicate content issues..,

sameer_max, Jul 17, 2012 IP
  4. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Yes it could be a potential problem because you would have different URLs containing very similar content.

You should restructure the site so you display different features for the same car model on the same page.

dcristo, Jul 17, 2012 IP
  5. jasmine219

jasmine219 Peon

Best Answers:
    Due to Penguin's update,google can take your site as a duplicate content.
    You should make different categories for the same car model.

jasmine219, Jul 17, 2012 IP
  6. valen123

valen123 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Duplicate content is content that appears on the Internet in more than one place (URL). This is a problem because when there are more than one piece of identical content on the Internet, it is difficult for search engines to decide which version is more relevant to a given search query. To provide the best search experience, search engines will rarely show multiple, duplicate pieces of content and thus, are forced to choose which version is most likely to be the original (or best)

valen123, Jul 17, 2012 IP
  7. johneva

johneva Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not one answer here actually helps, simply states what duplicate content is.

The idea of rel="canonical", not really an option otherwise it means many of our vehicles will not be indexed on the search engines and ultimately means we wont get traffic to these pages for relevant searches. Which is my concern with leaving it the way it is due to Google selecting just one page to index per model instead of all of them.

The idea of changing the structure again not exactly helpful I don't get how your supposed to have details show for different spec and different engine cars all on one page.

Why am I having to even change my site to keep search engines happy at the expense of usability? I thought Google wanted site that were developed with the user experience the up most importance. Yet if we go ahead with the current design which does exactly that we are going to have a site with duplicate content.

johneva, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  8. NikhilDigitalSocialSEO

NikhilDigitalSocialSEO Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that this would cause a duplicate content problem.

What you could do is diversify the content slightly. If the site has just images you can change the alt tags so that each image is called something different. Or change the text so that each text/description is different this would be the only way to ensure that you don't have duplicate content on your pages and maintain traffic for the site.

This is a tricky situation and it lies with the content you have. You'll have to change it even if you change it the tiniest bit it will be seen as different content.

Hope this helps.

NikhilDigitalSocialSEO, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  9. TonyMarket

TonyMarket Active Member

Best Answers:
    Do let me know if you want contents form my side. I'll be happy to serve you fast TAT with nice work.

TonyMarket, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  10. Aardison

Aardison Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes dont ever think about this. Dont put your website down in a start. Just do white hat techniques. hire some writer and dont do spamming.

Aardison, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  11. andrekhrisna

andrekhrisna Active Member

Best Answers:
    Totally duplicate content.
    Why don't write different reviews for different models?
    It's not expensive to collect the reviews.
    Just contact your customers again and say that you'll give them discount for lease if they give a review about your service.

Success for you!

andrekhrisna, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  12. chillingbreeze

chillingbreeze Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    John, try to have at least 50% unique content. Being in product based website, you actually can't control the content redundancy. Search engines won't hurt the site. Just try to allow user generated reviews on individual pages. This will neutralize the duplicate content issue. I have seen many websites that are ranking well with same approach. Try to allow easy social sharing on each page for even better results and lower down the duplicate issue.

chillingbreeze, Jul 18, 2012 IP
    johneva likes this.
  13. Irfi0009

Irfi0009 Banned

Best Answers:
    duplicontent is not good for site so keep fresh content on site and get good result

Irfi0009, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  14. Euphoria

Euphoria Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't rush into your project and get slapped by Google, take your time and re-write content similar to other pages, you can hire people to post reviews for cheap.

Euphoria, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  15. atomitservices

atomitservices Peon

Best Answers:
    For Duplicate Content search engines will penalize your website. So add only useful & informative content on your website.

atomitservices, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  16. bmoore35

bmoore35 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think as long as all of your pages aren't the same you should be ok. You should probably find a way to maybe reword some of the pages and reviews that have similar content just to be safe. I think Google considers it duplicate content if you own multiple domains with the same exact content on it, or if any of the pages on any one site are the same. There are many different opinions out there as to what constitutes duplicate content. Best of luck to you and your new website!

bmoore35, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  17. priyanka.verma

priyanka.verma Peon

Best Answers:
    Try to place uniqe content................

priyanka.verma, Jul 19, 2012 IP
  18. C.Rebecca

C.Rebecca Active Member

Best Answers:
    I believe, having duplicate content on inner pages of the website won’t harm you. You can have them. There are cases, when homepage and inner pages have appreciable similar content.
    You can have them, just make sure you are not overdoing it. I mean not every second page have same content as any other page of the website.

C.Rebecca, Jul 19, 2012 IP
  19. johneva

johneva Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We will have different content for each model, just not for each engine type and spec of that model, firstly not much to say different as its the same vehicle just different engine and options basically. If we did want a different review for each it would be over 12,000 reviews that need to be written and they would still be very similar as the BMW 520d SE is pretty much the same vehicle as a BMW 520i, and a BMW 520d M Sport.

It would be crazy to have a review for each and every one.

johneva, Jul 23, 2012 IP