1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

duplicate content

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by LucidNet, Aug 2, 2004.

I have found a forum that has copied some of my website content..

lucid dreaming guide

is this going to cause an issue with search engines seeing my site as duplicate content?

Would anyone recommend me asking for it taken down and a link putting to my page instead? Or is this not a problem at all?

If anyone wants the links to the forum you can PM me, i tried putting them on without linking cos i dont wanna provide a backlink, but it wont let me for some reason

LucidNet, Aug 2, 2004 IP
  2. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't believe that that is identical content. Lot of articles are published on multiple web sites. It isn't duplicate content unless everything else on the site is the same. IMHO.

compar, Aug 2, 2004 IP
  3. LucidNet

LucidNet Peon

Best Answers:
    um.... so i may be getting worried over nothing

LucidNet, Aug 2, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Articles, press releases and news do not trigger the duplicate content filters on Google. Although specifically how they determine that, I have no clue. But that's what a Google rep has said before.

digitalpoint, Aug 2, 2004 IP
  5. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Google's duplicate content filter seems to have changed in the last few months.

To me, it appears super-intelligent all of a sudden.

For example, it seems to have caught What is LUN Masking and What is LUN Masking?

That's four short paragraphs of duplicate text surrounded by a whole lot of non-duplicate filler material.

Of course, if you have higher PR than the web page that copied your content -- you don't have to worry. :D

Will.Spencer, Aug 2, 2004 IP
  6. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've been scrapbooking news articles (about homelessness) on my homeless site for ages and it hasn't triggered anything.

It's actually a good source of content to build out the size of your site.

If you are a commercial site though, be careful of copyright rules and fair use.

Dominic, Aug 2, 2004 IP
  7. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The 'right' thing to do is to make sure you credit with a link to the original site. Doing this ensures that should a dup filter kick in, and your site havin the Higher Page Rank, is the one to get shown, then at least the original site 'should' get some traffic from whoever reads the content.

Old Welsh Guy, Aug 2, 2004 IP
  8. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Copyright laws don't apply to NPO's? :rolleyes:

Will.Spencer, Aug 3, 2004 IP
  9. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They do - but when I contacted a few of the media outlets they basically said 'we don't care your a charity - if you were commercial we would have a problem with you using our content without charge.'

Dominic, Aug 3, 2004 IP
  10. tphyahoo

tphyahoo Peon

Best Answers:
    Since it`s a forum, why don`t you just join it, post the links back to your original site, and ask the forum members in a nice way to credit you with a back link along with copying your material? If they are blatantly stealing, write a letter pretending to be from a really mean, nasty aggressive, greedy lawyer and hope they stop. But that's probably not what it is, they're just sloppy. So yeah, just post the backlinks yourself and don`t worry about it.

tphyahoo, Aug 5, 2004 IP
  11. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    I've mentioned this before in DP, but if it gets ugly (and they copy EVERYTHING), you might be interested in reading my story about how some guy named Graeme "stole" my entire website

hulkster, Aug 5, 2004 IP
  12. LucidNet

LucidNet Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, by the looks of it it isn't intended to be nasty. I just didnt wan't it diminishing my efforts with the SE's. I will post a message underneath mentioning where it came from (didn't even think of that.... yet it seems so simple :p )

Alek... that is the worst type of content theft iv'e seen. Do you use a program to analyse your logs to pick up on it so fast?

LucidNet, Aug 5, 2004 IP
  13. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    For web log analysis, I run Analog, which is getting a bit long on the tooth ... but as with most things, if you are observant, you notice stuff like this ... and it was pretty obvious in this case that something strange was up ... and once I hit their site (which was IDENTICAL to mine), I had to keep looking at the URL bar to see that it wasn't actually www.komar.org ;-)

hulkster, Aug 5, 2004 IP
  14. Neng

Neng Peon

Best Answers:
    I had some problems with contents, so doing some research I found a software ("Synonymizer") that synonymizes content.

I bought it, and now I´m using this software for content. What do you think?? Does it help for not being caught??

Neng, Oct 27, 2004 IP
  15. Las Vegas Homes

Las Vegas Homes Guest

Best Answers:
    You can do this if you like. Report them to their hosting company and the hosting company will make them take down the content or lose their hosting. I have had the same rpoblem with a competitor in the Las vegas real estate industry. I contacted her hosting company last week and they made her take it down and she complied.

I would also suggest you email them first and ask them to remove it if this is what you wish. If they dont remove the identical content then report them to their hosting company. Hope this helps.

Las Vegas Homes, Oct 28, 2004 IP