1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Duplicate Content - resolution required

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by DarrenC, Jan 23, 2005.

Okay I will try and explain my problem without confusing the hell outta you all..

I have a page on my site which is a listing of properties, 10 properties per page i.e.

www.mydomain.com/properties/listing.php

This is spidered and indexed fine by Google, but lately, what I have seen is a lot of these having no title and description, which makes me think duplicate content.

When I looked in the results I have seen www.mydomain.com/propertyies/listing.php?&start=20 basically this is the second page of the listing, and because the title, layout etc is exactly the same it's got no title and description, which is because Google is seeing this as duplicate content.

In some instances the second URL is indexed fine but the main listings.php page, i.e. the first page has no title and description! The pages are dynamic so there's no way to make them unique.. I don't think.

If there is a way to make each listing.php page unique, how would I start to look at that, if not how the hell would I block Google from spidering the pages after the 1st page?

Help! :)

DarrenC, Jan 23, 2005 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I guess you pull them out a database, based on a search keyword or perhaps a location.

That unique identifier makes gives them the possibility to be made unique.

You could create dynamic META tags based on the property location. For instance, when the 1st result is a villa in Marbella and #10 at the bottom is a villae in Llorett then you could create the dynamic title of - Spanish Properties from Marbella to Llorett

And KW meta tag of all the locations exploded into one line, separated with commas. The the description could be similar to the title but expanded upon saying perhaps what your website offers. "Spanish Properties from Marbella to Llorett - book your holidate here on www.mydomain.com".

Just have to do some database tricks and ass some variables to the meta tags. That should help. You could add a whether feed as well as filler content.

T0PS3O, Jan 23, 2005 IP
  3. cgo85

cgo85 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a very similar situation with my real estate directory. I always served dynamic meta tags so just doing that won't help. Originally I had over 15k pages indexed properly over the last couple of weeks I lost approx 3/4 of that. Last week I decided to try making a few different variations of the text and content layout on the pages and then serving them up randomly. This seems to be working cause G had reindexed 410 pages properly that I had lost.

I guess this doesn't really answer your question about how to stop G from indexing... but it may help solve the problem and get all your pages indexed properly.

cgo85, Jan 23, 2005 IP
  4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    If you're not fussed about them being in the index then you might as well use that new link rel nofollow tag for all links from the first page.

T0PS3O, Jan 23, 2005 IP
  5. cgo85

cgo85 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah... that's a good point TOPS30, probably the easiest way. There has been alot of talk about that recently in the forum.

cgo85, Jan 23, 2005 IP
  6. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Does the link rel no follow work the same as robots.txt?

DarrenC, Jan 23, 2005 IP