1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Duplicate content - how bad is it?

Discussion in 'Google' started by justPlugIn, May 16, 2010.

1. Excel 8

Excel 8 Guest

Best Answers:
    Its a serious thing, there should no duplicate content it should be all original so that google will love your site and get good result for a long time.

Excel 8, May 17, 2010 IP
  2. Ganceann

Ganceann Peon

Best Answers:
    That is what I was going to say about the duplicate content myth. The same article appearing on multiple sites is not duplicate content - it is syndicated content and has its own value for sites that host syndicated content. Duplicate content can only exist on sites owned by the same person or company. Syndicated content can get indexed on several sites and can drive direct traffic from those sites - not necessarily from search engines, but from within the site the content is hosted on.

If an article is extremely high quality, it will not need to be spun - it will just need great syndication to generate targeted traffic to a site. However, properly spun articles can mean multiple versions of an article dominate search results and still doesn't guarantee that your site will outrank any of the sites hosting your content (whether spun or not spun).

Google will not penalize you for syndicating content as if they did, it would be too easy to destroy your competition with posting junk articles. However, they may de-index or not index all copies of the syndicated content or ignore links from specific sites they suspect as link farms or bad sources. Overall, if you do smart syndication you can perform just as well as you could do with using spun content. Just remember to link to the original source/first publication (i.e. that is why many sites prefer original content as they can claim first publication and therefore hope to gain the authority search engine result ranking).

Ganceann, May 17, 2010 IP
  3. ronancarr

ronancarr Peon

Best Answers:
    So let's use other sites articles and link back to them......don't forget to use rel=nofollow .haha :D

ronancarr, May 17, 2010 IP
  4. AirForce1

AirForce1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Google might omit the duplicate posts and thus would not pick up links inside the duplicate ones but this would not be a issue relative to content duplication and penalty. Original, niche relative and high quality articles are loved by Google and thus would help more for your PR purpose.

Have a nice day,

AirForce1, May 17, 2010 IP
  5. sadrikdomnik

sadrikdomnik Peon

Best Answers:
    It is really a bad thing that having a duplicate content on the site, as may be search engine can not indexed duplicate congtent. Also it is possible that sigte may be banned by the search engines, so be aware of the duplicate content. For getting good traffic you need to have good content on the web site.

sadrikdomnik, May 17, 2010 IP
  6. John2010

John2010 Guest

Best Answers:
    IMO, Duplicate content could get you penalized on Search Engines and affect your rankings.

John2010, May 17, 2010 IP
  7. buzinessware

buzinessware Peon

Best Answers:
    Not sure, it is effect with duplicate content .

buzinessware, May 17, 2010 IP
  8. cryingjoker

cryingjoker Peon

Best Answers:
    Duplicate content will not help to make your website on the top of google. If you copy content from other site you are promoting it and this is an advantage for that site not yours. Also when you copy a content you should include the source where did you get it. But better for you to have your own version of the content. :)

cryingjoker, May 18, 2010 IP
  9. justPlugIn

justPlugIn Peon

Best Answers:
    Very informative, thanks!

I found this text taken from the Google article very useful:
    Google tries hard to index and show pages with distinct information. This filtering means, for instance, that if your site has a "regular" and "printer" version of each article, and neither of these is blocked with a noindex meta tag, we'll choose one of them to list. In the rare cases in which Google perceives that duplicate content may be shown with intent to manipulate our rankings and deceive our users, we'll also make appropriate adjustments in the indexing and ranking of the sites involved. As a result, the ranking of the site may suffer, or the site might be removed entirely from the Google index, in which case it will no longer appear in search results.

justPlugIn, May 18, 2010 IP
  10. saching1

saching1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    duplicate content is not allow in Google's rule.
    It is like spamming so just try not to do it again.
    and what ever you have published if that is not cached then there is no prob.

saching1, May 18, 2010 IP
  11. adspub

adspub Member

Best Answers:
    You can use rel="canonical" tag to tell google which is the original or you can link back to the original content, it will credit to the original content.

adspub, May 19, 2010 IP
  12. shpyo

shpyo Peon

Best Answers:
    There is no "duplicated content". I've ran a lot of test. Every site with duplicated content were indexed.

shpyo, May 19, 2010 IP
  13. supernal

supernal Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure, but I try to avoid it on my website

supernal, May 19, 2010 IP
  14. JHybrid

JHybrid Peon

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately you need unique content for each site.

JHybrid, May 20, 2010 IP
  15. east

east Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well guys, depending of the website strategy and the business strategy, you can make money also with duplicate content or with unique content. Yes it is ăreferable to have unique content.

east, May 24, 2010 IP
  16. abundantliving

abundantliving Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been marketing on the internet since 1998, and can confidently state that DUPLICATE CONTENT IS A MYTH!

Think about all the high PR news sites that ONLY post content that has been posted elsewhere.

With that said, google likes unique content the best. So, this is how I handle content for my sites:

- I DO submit the exact same article to multiple directories (no spinning involved).

- I DO post the exact same article on my website... however, I add an intro paragraph and a closing paragraph for my regular readers.

And google LOVES my sites.
    :)

abundantliving, May 24, 2010 IP
  17. DoDo Me

DoDo Me Peon

Best Answers:
    How good is it? Not very good.

How bad is it? Not bad at all.

DoDo Me, May 24, 2010 IP