1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Duplicate Content - Dispel the myth!

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Amsterdam, Nov 19, 2006.

1. antonaf

antonaf Banned

Best Answers:

I am very much an SEO/webmaster, but the only thing that can make SEO efforts a certainty is time & money, but even then there are no guarantees.

antonaf, Nov 27, 2006 IP
  2. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    and then there is resistance to the truth.. I did actually dispell a few things for you and you refused to consider revising the piece? So, editorially, how does that make the article of value if it has KNOWN false facts?

thegypsy, Nov 27, 2006 IP
  3. Phynder

Phynder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What if the data was in table form? The same table format, but different detailed data for each widget. Does that make the content look similar enough to be considered duplicate content?

Phynder, Nov 27, 2006 IP
  4. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Okay :rolleyes: - I like to be cautious but this is plain stupidity. There are things we can trust. There has been money put into research, google has released info and we have studied rankings and discovered info so there is tons of stuff we know about.

Tables, css, hex codes, font sizes etc - none of that will change anything as far as duplicate content filters are concerned.

visio, Nov 27, 2006 IP
  5. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    Page segmentation aspects check more for editorial link evaluation more than it will for dupe content. but it can be implemented.

Yahoo recently mentioned the process is

WHY? resource friendly... it may be wiser to have it heavier in the INDEXING phase rather than the retrival, but hey...that's just me.. I son't have to pay for their servers... but I could argue that it would lessen SPAM and conserve resources.. he he...wandering off topic now

so the boiler plate appearance in the page segmentation can be over come via unique texts. Once again, if they are all ON SITE description NOT found elsewhere (like a manufacturers site) the external DUPE becomes a non issue.

If your site is NOT meeting any other flag items to warrant further concern, I cannot see them being an issue.

6. Phynder

Best Answers:
    Yeah - I was thinking more about the absence of other content - table formatted data VS free text descriptions. For instance:

Widget A Info
    Height 4.55 Inches
    Length 2.33 Inches
    Width 1.87 Inches
    Colors Blue, Green, Piss Yellow

As compared to:

The Widget A is 4.55 by 2.33 by 1.87 inches and comes in a variety of colors like blue, green, and piss yellow.

The problem is - either description is being built from a database - therefore the structure remains exactly the same - only the details change. I was just curious if one may be preferable over the other when trying to avoid duplicate content issues. Also supposing there is no other website with this info.

Phynder, Nov 27, 2006 IP
  7. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll take 3.. Piss Yellow please :D

No -- page segmentation won't circumvent the dupe detection... but I think you'll be fine

Are the page URLs SEO Friendly?
    Page Titles and Meta Descriptions?

8. antonaf

antonaf Banned

Best Answers:
    Because you say so, it makes it false facts! That's funny. I can validate all aspects of my article and I am certain you would dispell all aspects of my article. That's SEO for you. I'll leave it at that!

antonaf, Nov 27, 2006 IP
  9. carjamlangley

carjamlangley Guest

Best Answers:
    Good point. Of course it makes sense that Google would take the authority site and assume the dupe started there. Dates can be changed. Interesting.

I am no SEO expert but I enjoy learning about it so I guess you could say I'm one of the 'masses'. As a representative of such, then, I need to make it known that I like my information as accurate as possible. Even the best SEO expert will make mistakes at times, it doesn't mean all your other knowledge is suddenly swept out from underneath you. :)

By the way, antonaf, I like your webmaster marketplace site. Hopefully it will take off for you since there is certainly a need for a well categorized marketplace such as yours.

carjamlangley, Nov 27, 2006 IP
  10. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not cause I say so??? I SHOWED YOU that multiple page URLs can't hurt you. It is still in my post..try it over and over.. it is not ME doing that.... it is Google ... are you in denial M8?

11. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:

You can't change the date Google first crawled it. Google does not use the date on the document for more than indexing purposes :D

And I learn something new every day (hopefully) the SEs and Searchers are evolving..so must I.. I spent 4 mind numbing hours last nigh reading Google Search Patents from early OCtober... painfull, but necesary :0)

12. carjamlangley

carjamlangley Guest

Best Answers:
    Okay, that makes sense. Sorry if I sound dense, but could you further explain this to me, then?

Thanks!

carjamlangley, Nov 27, 2006 IP
  13. Phynder

Best Answers:
    Oh - sorry - this was a theoretical question. So, let's say - all else being equal, which is better. Sounds like there is no real difference - thanks for the feedback!

Phynder, Nov 27, 2006 IP
  14. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    To me anyone asking reasonable questions never sounds dense... :0)

I believe he is alluding to Authority. A stronger 'authority' site - all things being equal - will usually trump lesser sites. So if they have the content and are a 'trusted' source, they will likely rank high for the piece.

The SE is not really looking for the OWNER of it per se, but the most reliable source to return results based on a users query

15. antonaf

antonaf Banned

Best Answers:
    You proved nothing! I NEVER said that you would be kicked out of the SERPs, but Google and other SE's will choose one content page as primary to be displayed (my article explains this). You will not see your other 2 domains (domain.com or domain.com/home) as #1, #2, or #3... in the same result pages. I NEVER said you would be penalized, but your pages would be filtered to display only one URL as the primary content page. Now, please tell me...how is this wrong?? This is true and Google calls it canonicalization. Stop worrying about disproving my article and read what I write. Don't twist my words.

antonaf, Nov 27, 2006 IP
  16. livingearth

livingearth Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think it depends on the circumstances. There are different situations and thus different effects. Posting duplicate content as other sites is not effective simply because, if there are a couple of hundred ( or thousand) other sites with the same information your chances of showing up at the top are reduced. Google simply has no reason to place you higher than anyone else because your info is not unique. However if you get your original content or articles (with your links) placed on other sites you benefit due to the IBLs though you still may not place on top you could potentially have a greater chance to rank well because your link text is associated with that content.

Another scenario is duplicate content within your own site and/or having two domains with the same content. My experience with this is that one of the sites or pages will rank well and the other dups are buried or not even indexed.

livingearth, Nov 27, 2006 IP
  17. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No problem just tell me what you don't understand.

Ps. Your not dense. Your one of the few webmasters I have seen on DP who is willing to show that they do need help and are willing to learn from others. These type of people become the next generation of revolutionizing seo.
    Randfish(founder of seomoz.com) was a complete nobody a couple yrs ago. It has been just the past yr or so that he has become what he is and it was all because he was willing to listen to others.

visio, Nov 27, 2006 IP
  18. tasari

tasari Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course this is correct.. All search engines will use the tags, but verifying if unique they all just strip of all tags :)

tasari, Nov 29, 2006 IP
  19. Phynder

Best Answers:
    Right - what I was after was the question of content in tabular format vs. free text.

Phynder, Nov 29, 2006 IP
  20. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    Neither would circumvent the Dupe content detection filters really... they can understand page segmentation (layout) as well as semantics (relational value of words)

:D

thegypsy, Nov 29, 2006 IP