1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

duplicate content by a subdomain

Discussion in 'Google' started by SEO Guy, Jun 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Google Showing subfolder instead of subdomain

I have a new forum www.realestatewebmasters.com and its getting picked up really well by G, however it is hosted as a virtual subdomain of seo-guy.com with the path being http://www.seo-guy.com/realestate/ and for some reason Google is listing but www.realestatewebmasters.com and www.seo-guy.com/realestate/ This is really causing me grief as I can figure out why the www.seo-guy.com/realestate/ is getting picked up and listed, I dont want it to be and its causing a duplicate content issue (Hasnt been picked up yet but I dont want to chance it)

Whats worse is that the wrong path is getting picked up for serps

Check out this search for Minneapolis lofts

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Minneapolis+lofts

Anyone with experience in the whole virtual hosting/subdomain field wanna help me out here, I want to get www.seo-guy.com/realestate/ to stop showing up in google but I dont think I can just block it or I will be blocking www.realestatewebmasters.com which I want in the serps and is the same thing.

HELP!

Thanks Guys

SEO Guy, Jun 13, 2004 IP
  2. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm pretty sure that blocking it via robots.txt only blocks by the url, and nothing more.

but just a side-note... the "good" url (the real one) has a PR6, the subdomain one has a PR0..

it's been mentioned a ton of times in the past, but simply "not linking" to a certain part of your site doesn't assure that it won't be found by google. the toolbar, apache index directories, and stat reports can all give them away.

disgust, Jun 13, 2004 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Putting the links in here won't have helped.

Add the following to your .htaccess file and Google will see it as a permanent move and not penalise, plus your visitors will also get pointed to the right domain

redirect 301 /realestate/(.*) [url="http://bots.pcpropertymanager.com/$1"]http://[/url][url="http://www.realestatewebmasters.com/"]www.realestatewebmasters.com[/url][url="http://bots.pcpropertymanager.com/$1"]/$1[/url]  
    Code (markup):
    Plus this should take the visitor to the page they have requested, not just the index page.

Sarah

sarahk, Jun 13, 2004 IP
  4. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    The first thing that comes to mind is necessarily the .htaccess file for the main seo-guy.com site.

But that would not explain the listing under both forms, unless that file was changed. Looking at G's caches, I see that the wrong form is showing 2:32PM, while the right form's cache is showing 3:24 PM (of course, we don't know that those are from the same day). Is there any chance that some typo in the .htaccess file was fixed during that span of time?

Owlcroft, Jun 13, 2004 IP
  5. Nicky21

Nicky21 Guest

Best Answers:
    Duplicate content issue.
    1st of all: i'm nowhere near a seo expert.

but my idea:
    1)
    ...../realestate/ - rename it!
    ex: -> ..../realestate_notlinkedbyanybody/

2)
    using .htaccess host the virtual site on the renamed link.

Results:
    1) google comes and gets a dead url on ..../realestate/ ; maybe you should use a permanent redirect;
    2) ...../realestate_notlinkedbyanybody/ will be nowhere to be found on the net (as long as you dont post stuff that gives it away, like links to it) so it wont exist in google's cache in a couple of days (hopefully).

I know that because i just did it 2-3 days ago for my site (www.)crea-soft(.com)
    check out the nice almost 2000 html pages.... they are actually made using mod_rewrite...

I dunno if this will work though, still waiting to see if i'm gonna get penalized by google for uplicate content... but i see no reason to do that if it's linked and turn out to be 404

just my idea.:rolleyes:

AGAIN: im no seo expert.....

Nicky21, Jun 13, 2004 IP
  6. Nicky21

Nicky21 Guest

Best Answers:
    PS: does this forum has the feature to notify me trough mail when somebody posts a message ? :rolleyes:

Nicky21, Jun 13, 2004 IP
  7. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    just "not linking to something" does NOT guarantee that google (or other SE's) won't pick it up. I really don't advice just doing that, because the same problem is just likely to spring up again.

Nicky: try the usercp? :)

disgust, Jun 13, 2004 IP
  8. john_loch

john_loch Rodent Slayer

Best Answers:
    Hi SEO Guy,

What SarahK said is good. A 301 redirect (moved permanently) is the best way to go here. Just keep in mind that some older clients (browsers) convert from a post to a get when encountering this, so you may need to watch the forum a little.

If you're really worried about duplicate content, you could put that domain on an alternate c class (IP). I wouldn't be too worried about this though. The 301 is the formal way to indicate moving house and GBot knows this.

Just do it **quickly** before volume duplication screws things up - your index frequency is pretty good on seo-guy.com as I recall.

Cheers,

John Loch

john_loch, Jun 13, 2004 IP
  9. mushroom

mushroom Peon

Best Answers:
    The robots.txt file will do it for you.
    Ask for the folowing file to be modified http://www.seo-guy.com/robots.txt

add the lines;

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /realestate/

Then www.seo-guy.com/realestate/ will not be read by the good bots.
    You should all so have a www.realestatewebmasters.com/robots.txt file

with the line,

User-agent: *

to alow all bots or add lines to restrict them but that's a different subject.

mushroom, Jun 14, 2004 IP
  10. ZanderXML

ZanderXML Guest

Best Answers:
    It's really easy. If you are using Apache Web Server then place it in VirtualHost of your www.seo-guy.com server

RedirectMatch permanent ^/realestate/(.*) http://www.realestatewebmasters.com/$1

ZanderXML, Jun 14, 2004 IP
  11. DarrenC

DarrenC Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting..

Domain 1 is hosted in the UK www.mydomain1.co.uk and I have Domain 2 which does not have any webspace www.mydomain2.co.uk could I do a 301 redirect so that Domain 2 is the main URL on Domain 1's webspace?

i.e. redirect 301 www.mydomain1.co.uk (.*) http://www.mydomain2.co.uk/$1

Would this work, or is it easier just to drop Domain 1 and get my host to use Domain 2 instead?

I hope I haven't confused anyone :D

DarrenC, Jun 17, 2004 IP
  12. Owlcroft

Owlcroft Peon

Best Answers:
    You can pretty much redirect anything anywhere, but two questions occur to me:

1. If Domain #2 has no webspace (which I take to mean no existtance on a server), you can't redirect #1 to it--there's nothing there. Unless that was a typo, and you mean redirect calls to #2 on to #1, which does exist.

2. You may run some risk of appearing to Google to have duplicate sites. But I am not clear just how that works, since people do legitimately change domains from time to time (as from a subdomain to a new, full domain name).

Owlcroft, Jun 17, 2004 IP
  13. SEO Guy

SEO Guy Peon

Best Answers:
    I have fixed the problem VIA htacess and a 301, thanks for your suggestions guys! :) I guess I could have come here and said that lol but look at all the helpful info I got out of it hehe

SEO Guy, Jun 17, 2004 IP
  14. flawebworks

flawebworks Tech Services

Best Answers:
    =========
    1. If Domain #2 has no webspace (which I take to mean no existtance on a server), you can't redirect #1 to it--there's nothing there. Unless that was a typo, and you mean redirect calls to #2 on to #1, which does exist.

2. You may run some risk of appearing to Google to have duplicate sites. But I am not clear just how that works, since people do legitimately change domains from time to time (as from a subdomain to a new, full domain name).
    ===========

Using a 301 redirect is how you do it. Check out these 2 articles:

www.bruceclay.com/SEO-tech-tips/techtips.htm
    www.highrankings.com/issue060.htm

Pointing one domain to another is apparently considered spam without the 301 redirect.

Regards;

Joann

flawebworks, Jun 21, 2004 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.