1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Duplicate content and ways around it

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by sharpweb, Jul 13, 2008.

I have a client that runs a small hotel. They have just opened a second hotel and I've done a new website for that hotel. The first website has a whole bunch of local info (such as activities, must see places, ways to get to town, etc) each with their own webpage. The new hotel is in the same town and they want to use all this information on the new site. I cautioned them that this may cause problems with SEs and duplicate content, especially since they want to link the two websites to each other on every page.

So my question is should we:
    1) rewrite all the pages (there are about 20 of them)

2) make some changes so the content isn't exactly the same on both sites

3) just leave the content the same because th SEs won't care

Any thoughts???

Thanks,
    Chris

sharpweb, Jul 13, 2008 IP
  2. Hersheys

Hersheys Peon

Best Answers:
    It' better if they would rewrite each content so that they won't see as duplicate content.

Hersheys, Jul 13, 2008 IP
  3. homebizseo

homebizseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Change the title tags and put in different metatag descriptions. This should help with being Google Slapped.

homebizseo, Jul 13, 2008 IP
  4. peroon

peroon Peon

Best Answers:
    I think they should rewrite the content.

peroon, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  5. my_misyel

my_misyel Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes rewrite everything or at least create a unique specifications like in description. Don't attempt to copy everything.

my_misyel, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  6. manish.chauhan

manish.chauhan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The main problem is duplicate content, so it will be better if you run your other website with differ content...:)

manish.chauhan, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  7. lightlysalted

lightlysalted Active Member

Best Answers:
    You will need to re write the content, but just base it around the same structure.

lightlysalted, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  8. sharpweb

sharpweb Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all your replies. I will strongly suggest that they rewrite the content, but should it be a full rewrite or is just reworking the text enough?

ie.
    CHANGE
    "The Yangshuo Mountain Retreat is happy to arrange or change your air travel in China. We do not charge for this service and will do our best to get you the lowest price and minimal service fees for itinerary changes. For more information on Guilin flights, please see the table below."

TO
    "The Yangshuo Village Inn is able to arrange or change your flights in China. We don't charge for doing this service and always do our best to find you the lowest price with the least service fees for itinerary changes. For more details on Guilin flights, please see the table below."

sharpweb, Jul 14, 2008 IP
  9. atticus1

atticus1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Rewriting the content would be the best option, however keep in mind that the first site will not get hurt because another site duplicates its content. Google can usually tell which site has the original content. Make sure the original site is indexed well before duplicating the content. If they do not want to rewrite all the content, I would just make a landing page for the original site that would lead into the second site so people can find it on Google.

atticus1, Jul 14, 2008 IP