1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dual Monitor set up problem, can anybody help?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bangers, Aug 3, 2007.

I have just bought my new PC and am all excited about getting it working but there seems to be a problem with the dual monitor set up.

I've got a xfx card that had one VGA and one DVI connectors. Both my monitors have the VGA connectors. That meant that one could fit and the other one couldn't. I shot back down to the computer shop and bought a VGA to DVI connector so I can plug both monitors into my graphics card.

The problem is that the monitor running through the connector does not work, there's a message on my monitor that says "No Video Input"

If anyone can offer my any advice or suggestions I would very appreciate it ;)

Thanks!

Waiting pateintly :)

bangers, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  2. gerritpoel

gerritpoel Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hmmm are they directly connected to your graphic card?
    I know that my friends dual monitors are hooked up to his gfx card.
    Maybe they have some relation or ask the computer shop you bought the monitors from...

gerritpoel, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  3. sgthayes

sgthayes Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you sure that it supports 2 monitors ? On most cards you have a vga and dvi connector but that just means you can choose which one you want to use. (not both at the same time)

If it does then have you activated it in the screen setup ? You have to choose something like "expand desktop"...

Give us some more info about which specific gfx card it is and maybe we can help a bit more.

sgthayes, Aug 3, 2007 IP
    bangers likes this.
  4. chabbs

chabbs Active Member

Best Answers:
    Here are a few questions for you to help you troublshoot.

Did you uninstall the drivers for the onboard video card or the other video card before installing the new video card?

Did you install the drivers that came with your set up CD for the graphics card?

Did you follow the instructions that came with the card?

If you've done all of these things and it still doesn't work then it's possible that your connector is defective.

Hope this helps.

chabbs, Aug 3, 2007 IP
    bangers likes this.
  5. bangers

bangers Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks both for repying, it really means alot :)

The card is a XFX 8500GT and it says on-line that it's dual monitor compatible.

Both monitors are working correctly as I've changed the plugs around.

Any other ideas?

Again, thanks for the help.

bangers, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  6. bangers

bangers Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Chabbs!

The shop installed all the PC componants for me. I don't really want to have to track down their again as it means a 45min drive!

bangers, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  7. bacanze

bacanze Peon

Best Answers:
    I have dual montiors and their both vga, just get a vga to dvi convertor, its , only cost me around £5 and 100% works.

bacanze, Aug 3, 2007 IP
    bangers likes this.
  8. sgthayes

sgthayes Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you messed around with the nView utility? This is what makes the dual monitor stuff work. Other than that I cannot help you I'm afraid.

Check out the nvidia support site or shoot them an email if you don't get it working.

sgthayes, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  9. bangers

bangers Peon

Best Answers:
    I got it working! I'm not sure how, as I tried 100 different things. Anyway, thanks for all your help!

Rep added for everyone that helped!

bangers, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  10. KingofKings

KingofKings Banned

Best Answers:
    Alright good, I was just going to give you some advice... I had the same problem back then, I just bought more expensive connectors.

KingofKings, Aug 3, 2007 IP
  11. getjimmy

getjimmy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If i'm not wrong you need to enable dual monitor from your display settings to get display on both monitors or plug in only one monitor with that connector cable and go from there.

Or

Get the Nvidia control panel for your system at their website and enable the other monitor in "Display-> Set Up multiple Displays-> Use multiple displays"

getjimmy, Aug 3, 2007 IP