1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

-dsa -dsa yada yada

Discussion in 'Google' started by leeds1, Jun 29, 2004.

Remember when we could add 8x -dsa to our 2 KW phrase search and it gave different results ?

Well, different results still prevail.

Any ideas as to what these results are these days ?

leeds1, Jun 29, 2004 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Too much time on your hands.. heh

Even if you knew, does it help you? :)

Probably some weighting algorithm where it puts a certain amount of weight on each word in your query. Sticking in a bunch of negative words devalues the weight of the words you actually care about. So it yields different results.

That of course is not fact, just one of about a billion different possibilities.

digitalpoint, Jun 29, 2004 IP
  3. leeds1

leeds1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Shaun

Yes - a little bit more time (because my site climbed from 5th to 4th today :D )

I just wondered if the "sandbox" was still around just to see if I had some more links to be credited - I remember ages ago this brought my site to #1 - now I'm kept in 4th but others shift.

I vaguely remember someone saying it does nothing now, but because I diffferent results I thought I'd see if there was a reason for it

leeds1, Jun 29, 2004 IP
  4. compar

compar Peon

Best Answers:
    And I thought that I was impatient and sarcastic. That busts me up Shawn. I take it that you don't think this question has much merit? :D

Leeds, Nobody knows. It use to be considered that it might defeat the sandbox filter and predict the position of the site when, and if, it ever came out of the sandbox. But then the results changed dramatically and it was felt that either Google compensated for it, or simple decided to handle it in such a way that the results were unfathomable or meaningless.

So when you find out what the current results mean please let us all know.

compar, Jun 29, 2004 IP
  5. leeds1

leeds1 Peon

Best Answers:

You know it's always good to experience British humour from your side of the pond :D

Leeds

ps - I havent a clue what they mean :cool:

leeds1, Jun 29, 2004 IP
  6. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    I read a pretty decent hypothesis for why it happens, but I seem to have lost the link...

basically it was along these lines: pagerank is combined with localrank/the hilltop algo to give the serps. localrank isn't done on the fly, so they're guessing google gets a query, sends it to check if there is a localrank for that particular keyphrase, and if there is, it sends it back with the localrank affecting the serps.

if you send a query with a "junk filter" you could convince it that it was a term that didn't have a localrank to factor into the algo.

whatever the original case was, the junk filters don't appear to work like they were working before.

disgust, Jun 29, 2004 IP