1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Drupal Vs Wordpress-Which one do you like more?

Discussion in 'Drupal' started by Davey Crocket, Aug 20, 2005.

1. ksrpraneeth

ksrpraneeth Active Member

Best Answers:
    i my view drupal is best

ksrpraneeth, Jun 22, 2010 IP
  2. theemerchant

theemerchant Guest

Best Answers:
    wordpress will do. more plugins are available compare to drupal

theemerchant, Jun 29, 2010 IP
  3. hefe

hefe Member

Best Answers:
    Depends on what I'm doing. The setup time for Drupal is higher, so I tend to use it only for content-intensive sites where I plan on doing some heavy customization.

hefe, Jul 5, 2010 IP
  4. Alexandros1

Alexandros1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Wordpress is more of a single user tool, where as Drupal is for multiple users.
    With drupal is much easier to create a social networking site.
    Wordpress is also more of a blogging tool, whereas Drupal can be used to create any type of site.
    Drupal is more of a CMF rather then a CMS

Alexandros1, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  5. wissam

wissam Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi I'm 22 and I like wordpress ;)

wissam, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  6. bapatnmintri

bapatnmintri Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, the decision making of wordpress or drupal. That is actually tough! You will need to know yourself first, are you new to whatever you wish to start? If you're not, then are you good at full blown content management? If you say you know 'enough', then the next question to ask is - how quick can you learn when shifting to a different platform?

Both Drupal and Wordpress are very popular content publishing platforms. I’ve dorked around with Wordpress and Drupal long time back.Keep in mind that both are very powerful and very robust web publishing platforms that can do a variety of different things.

First thing is simple, want to get ahead with SEO and have a simple content management system with a blog - then definitely WORDPRESS
    But if that's not what you are looking for then, consider few other things:

Wordpress -
    Cant beat its simplicity, just amazing and simple. Newbie or shifting to wordpress platform, you'll be fine :) They provide social networking service as well and many other things like eCommerce. You can see that you can publish basic information and extend the look and feel of the site with themes and plugins. There are a lot of plugins out there to choose from but the bottom line is that Wordpress is EASY!

Drupal -
    As soon as you start, that would be the worst day of your 'web professional' life! It's hectic, hard to manage and maintain. Just like wordpress, make blogs, social networking site and more than what wordpress offers can be made with Drupal but it has it’s own language and intricacies that take a while to get used to. It has plug-ins and themes like WP (ofcoz not as many as WP). Also as anonymously1 above mentioned -
    So, drupal can do things wordpress doesn't. Drupal is more of an API or framework than a high-level publishing platform. It’s probably meant more for the develop-type who doesn’t mind getting their hands dirty to learn what is going on. Drupal is based on a series of “nodes” which are actually just pages. There is also a complex but very powerful taxonomy mechanism built in that allows the user to categorize the content.
    It also has much more navigation structure control and web-based customizations of themes are great. The downsides is that there is no native WYSIWYG editor, and it's a complex array or modules, dependencies and configurations to get one working for typical non-technical users. It gives you the ability to create your own content types using the Content Construction Kit (CCK). It has one great strength and a clever one at that - Running multiple setups!

But that being said - Wordpress has an "MU" edition that makes it easier to multisite, and in their next major release will combine the core of Wordpress and Wordpress MU into a single product, which will bring Wordpress into line with Drupal in those terms.

At present how is Drupal better in multiple setups? Eventhough I like the single screen interface Wordpress has to add, move and configure widgets, but it lacks the ability to assign a single widget configuration to multiple available spaces, instead it has to be manually added to each space and configured independently. Drupals "block" interface makes it a multiple page affair to add and configure it's little "widgets" however, they can be placed in a very granular fashion and have one assigned to one or many pages.

BOTTOM LINE-
    Both Drupal and Wordpress are excellent applications. Wordpress is for very entry level users who have something to say while Drupal is a full blown Content Management System. Both have communities full of developers who contribute to making the project better but it looks like Wordpress is a bit ahead of the curve. I suspect that it’s because Wordpress is Caveman easy and even though the plugins may be complicated to develop, the user footprint is huge which is incentive to develop that most ego-starved programmer can’t pass up. Drupal is not any better or any worse…it’s just different. There is also definitely a learning curve so if you’re familiar with Wordpress and want to dive in to Drupal and expect to get it right away, you’re in for a real treat :rolleyes:

So basically it comes down to you, as I asked in the beginning of this post - what is it that you want or looking for? And how much do you know about Drupal's style of management?

bapatnmintri, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  7. LittleWing

LittleWing Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Drupal is hard to beginner. WP is so easy and has user friendly interface.

LittleWing, Jul 14, 2010 IP
  8. dennisb

dennisb Member

Best Answers:
    For me personally:

Wordpress, for the basic small websites with a blog (not required). It has good SEO, a simple backend and enough modules to run a basic website.
    Drupal, for the more bigger and complex websites. It has good SEO (in my opinion the best of these three) the backend how it works is and enough modules.
    Joomla, I wouldnt recommend to use. The backend is maybe nice but the SEO is poor. Also the most good modules are commercial beside that I have the idea that you need for every small feature an other module. Comparing the security (and bugs) with Drupal and Wordpress gives me the idea that the security of Joomla is (very) bad.

Beside the points about SEO, backend, modules and security I also can say that Drupal is used by several major companies and organizations like the Whitehouse, MTV, Sony and so on. Wordpress is used by several celebrities and smaller companies. Joomla isnt used by big companies as far as I know.

However Joomla is as well Drupal coming with a new (major) version so who knows what the future brings till now Wordpress and Drupal are my favorite!

dennisb, Jul 22, 2010 IP
  9. cyberq

cyberq Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends on how to configure.

cyberq, Aug 1, 2010 IP
  10. xtek

xtek Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress since I don't have time to learn a new cms.

xtek, Aug 5, 2010 IP
  11. panagiotis

panagiotis Peon

Best Answers:
    wordpress is absolutely perfect for blog-like websites.
    Drupal has infinite possibilities.
    So it is a question with no answer. Depends on what you want to do.

panagiotis, Aug 11, 2010 IP
  12. soerosentiqoe

soerosentiqoe Member

Best Answers:
    I'd like wordpress..it is easy to use ..

soerosentiqoe, Aug 16, 2010 IP
  13. kiramanic

kiramanic Peon

Best Answers:
    Whichever is best suited to the site you're building, of course ;)

kiramanic, Aug 19, 2010 IP
  14. DCrux334

DCrux334 Guest

Best Answers:
    Both are great tools for the right job.

WordPress is great for blogging and simple content management. If you try to go beyond that, it's no longer the right tool for the job.

Drupal is a community script. It can handle users and access better than WordPress. And Drupal can do social networking.

Drupal is a content script. With 'content types' and views, just about anything is possible.

Drupal is not for the faint of heart. There is a learning curve and a lot of the functionality may be hard to grasp.

WordPress has really good documentation. Their Codex, back in my WP days, was pretty decent. Drupal's is, too, but a bit hard to navigate sometimes.

DCrux334, Aug 21, 2010 IP
  15. superwordpressthemes

superwordpressthemes Peon

Best Answers:
    For Simple website, I use WP. And for complex site like portal, I use Drupal

superwordpressthemes, Aug 23, 2010 IP
  16. efikra

efikra Guest

Best Answers:
    I prefer wordpress

efikra, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  17. stonebolt

stonebolt Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Both are good - it's a case of tailoring either one to best suit your needs.

Drupal is a powerful system but my limited knowledge allows me to proper c*ck it up from time to time - not fun.

Wordpress is good to get yourself going and learning.

stonebolt, Sep 1, 2010 IP
  18. boscha

boscha Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    i think wp is easier

boscha, Sep 1, 2010 IP
  19. HTMwrestling.com

HTMwrestling.com Peon

Best Answers:
    You pretty much need to be a programmer if you want to do anything complex or e-commerce related with Drupal. I really wanted to use it for my site but could not get around the bugs and issues in Ubercart, and many of the gallery plugins gunk up when you use the private download method. Then there's modules that you *think* exist but they were for version 5 and not 6. That said, it's permissions/user control system looked really nice.

HTMwrestling.com, Sep 2, 2010 IP
  20. Maximus325

Maximus325 Active Member

Best Answers:
    WP for beginners.
    Drupal for profies)

Maximus325, Sep 12, 2010 IP