1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Drupal vs. Mambo

Discussion in 'Drupal' started by Ian, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ok So without taking it off topic, what are the thoughts on xoops?

Old Welsh Guy, Jul 30, 2005 IP
  2. aboyd

aboyd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In a topic about Drupal and Mambo, isn't xoops off-topic by definition?

(Talk all about xoops, no problem. It just seems like you have to file that under OT.)

-Tony

aboyd, Jul 30, 2005 IP
  3. webwright

webwright Peon

Best Answers:
    Drupal for Community and Mambo for Content seems to be oversimplifying a bit.

I have a Drupal stravel ite that has zero community aspect, but has relatively complex taxonomy-- i.e. there is a multi-level heirarchy of content and pages can have multiple parents/categories...

Mambo definately seems a little more pretty (out of the box) but if you have a web designer with some artistic skills handy, you can make a Drupal site awful pretty.

My site is http://www.craftytraveler.com , by the way.

webwright, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  4. longroad

longroad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe the original poster hasn't heard of xoops, so its not really off topic.
    I was going to mention it too, I use it and although a little confusing at first, its powerful and full of features. I dont like mambo, but really like xoops.

longroad, Aug 1, 2005 IP
  5. Jiraiya

Jiraiya Peon

Best Answers:
    I want to add my opinion about the support you get from the community since no one often talks about this. Both are open source CMS and much of the support are dependent on the community who uses it.

When just comparing Drupal and Mambo, Drupal has a much weaker community of helpers than Mambo. Almost half the questions on the Drupal forum topics relating to operating Drupal does not even get a reply. Even more do not get solved.

Jiraiya, Aug 7, 2005 IP
  6. a3196

a3196 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with Jiraiya...

I use mambo for several sites and I like them.....

If you want to make contents driven site, Mambo works great.. and Their forum is also great.. I got reply within a minute....just like DP...

And they also have many 3rd party developers and making template is also easy....

a3196, Aug 10, 2005 IP
  7. programmer

programmer Guest

Best Answers:
    i have used both - Mambo is an advance CMS which needs lots of efforts to use it whereas durpal has less options but easy to use - now the choice is urs

programmer, Aug 19, 2005 IP
  8. revenow

revenow Peon

Best Answers:
    One nice thing about Drupal is it's code is clean and lightweight. Between the two, I prefer Drupal

revenow, Aug 19, 2005 IP
  9. 802networks

802networks Guest

Best Answers:
    I've tried a ton of different CMS systems and i've stuck with Mambo. I think what got me was once I actually figured out how to use it. I had installed it in the past, and gave up quickly as I didn't really know how to setup the sections and cateogories and content etc. But after playing with a few others CMS systems, I decided to go back and try it again. After about 3 days of fooling around (and 2 re-installations), I was amazed at how easy it was to configure, customize, and design.

The ability to add new components and modules by simply submitting a zipfile from an admin page was great.

Now that I've added 404 SEF it looks like I have everything the way I want it.

802networks, Aug 19, 2005 IP
  10. SirNot

SirNot Peon

Best Answers:
    Drupal by far. I've tried both out and found Mambo like a maze; there's just so many things on it it took me something like three whole minute to figure out where on earth one would blog, let alone changing content around. I also dislike sites which overdo on the 3D graphics, something which Mambo and its admin panel is really big on.

SirNot, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  11. 802networks

802networks Guest

Best Answers:
    Does Drupal have decent SEO options? When I was searching around most people said to stay away for that reason. Similar to PHPNuke.

802networks, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  12. swd

swd Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, if I were to choose between thouse two I would go with Mambo

swd, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  13. programmer

programmer Guest

Best Answers:
    yeah i ^agree^ with you - durpal has much neat and clean code when one can understand simply.

programmer, Aug 22, 2005 IP
  14. Abilnet

Abilnet Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, Drupal is superior in SEO (our Development Team recently changed our future development(s) from Mambo to Drupal - and SEO was just one of the reasons for that)

For those who're interested, there's some fresh "Drupal vs. Mambo" -information available at Xaneon Development:
    http://xaneon.com/

Abilnet, Aug 23, 2005 IP
  15. Imran

Imran Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have used many different types of CMS, Recently strted using Mambo as well as drupal, I like mambo for its simplsity where as drupal wins by alrge margin just becuase of its eas of use and good urls!
    It has forum/blog/story/static pages.... and so onnnnnnnnnnnnn
    My vote is for Drupal for time being...

Imran, Aug 25, 2005 IP
  16. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    My only complaint with drupal is its forums and because of that no real integration with other forums. I had a project I was going to use Drupal for, but had to scrap it because the forums just didn't give me what I needed.

I am going to be using it on another project soon, and I really like a lot of things about it.. I just wish it had a more robust forum system or integration for other packages.. I would use it for everything.

aeiouy, Aug 25, 2005 IP
  17. mark1

mark1 Peon

Best Answers:
    DRUPAL is so easy to pick up!

Like others in previous posts, I installed mambo first, as when I tested and saw the power behind the system I just loved it...

But once installed, I tried to figure it out... it was taking too long so gave up on that attempt.

Drupal was not as easy to install as mambo - slightly technical... but once I figured it out and after ironing out the errors (about 2-3 hours of work), the modules, the themes and the overall simplicity of the whole CMS is it's strength. I see mambo as a bloated giant - it think mambo is a drain on system resources.

mark1, Sep 10, 2005 IP
  18. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    I have found Drupal very easy to install manually, no errors at all, and I'm not any php nor server guru, just followed the procedure. Of course, installing it over CPanel is much easier, but they deliver important security updates weeks late, so after CPanel install, you have to settle on manual updates anyway. What takes some time, though, is to setup all options to change Drupal from the community/news/blog site preset into seo friendly content site (if you don't want to have community or news site of course).

I wish there was an automatic update feature, like Simple Machines forum script for example has. Complete agreement with aeiouy, Drupal forums are rather useless for something serious.

subseo, Sep 10, 2005 IP
  19. Zapita

Zapita Active Member

Best Answers:
    what phpbb mod are you using for that?? i want to do this for a game board, basically the board community is more important but still want to have some news and add games stats and stuff (or if someone can recommends something better))

Zapita, Oct 19, 2005 IP
  20. danzarrella

danzarrella Peon

Best Answers:
    I've used drupal on a few sites and found it is simpler and it feels a bit more flexible, Mambo on the other hand I'm using on one site right now and it feels more robust and high end, but of course therefore a bit more tricky to modify.

Drupal's SEO seems fair, clean urls and such, nothing super-fantastic-great

I'll post more about mambo as I work with it more.

danzarrella, Oct 19, 2005 IP