1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Drupal Themes

Discussion in 'Drupal' started by paulhudson, Feb 13, 2008.

Hello,

Before I start wrapping my head around the legal issues of starting a Drupal theme business, I want to gauge the interest.

How many people here think they would be interested in using Drupal as a CMS if commercial themes (pay per download) were as readily available as they are for CMS's such as Joomla! and WordPress?

I am proposing to potentially sell themes here: www.drupalsnippets.com

Paul

paulhudson, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  2. mizaks

mizaks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What legal issues are you wrapping your head around?

Drupal is a popular CMS, so I'm sure there is a market for themes...

mizaks, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  3. paulhudson

paulhudson Active Member

Best Answers:
    Issues with the GPL that Drupal is released on. So far as I can tell I would need to distribute the .tpl files freely and only charge for the code.

I'm just curious to see how much interest this post generates, before I go steaming off, spending hours on development.

paulhudson, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  4. archard

archard Peon

Best Answers:
    I encourage you to go on with this. The biggest problem with Drupal right now is its inability to entice with great themes. There definitely is a need for a site like that.

archard, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  5. ravi_9793

ravi_9793 Banned

Best Answers:
    Start with some free themes..and than go ahead for paid themes. Drupal really lacks good themes. Although they are best CMS in my opinion.

ravi_9793, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  6. dpQuint

dpQuint Active Member

Best Answers:
    'Free' is extremely popular, but I bet some people would pay if you could come up with some nice themes.

As for the GPL thing ... not really sure if you could charge or not, you probably can.

dpQuint, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  7. Suri.CMS

Suri.CMS Peon

Best Answers:
    I will be interested if you can really build some professional & good-looking templates and keep them up compatible whenever latest version of Drupal is released.

I am sure lot other people will also be interested.

I feel the only thing lacking for Drupal is the good themes.

Suri.CMS, Feb 13, 2008 IP
  8. paulhudson

paulhudson Active Member

Best Answers:
    Some of the sites we have created with Drupal are below:

www.realworksmedia.com
    www.drupalsnippets.com
    www.baxxt.com - nearly finished
    www.lime-blue.co.uk

Hopefully that gives you an idea of the sort of work we can produce.

When we have a couple of our current projects out of the way I will make some time to start producing themes.

I would be interested to hear your ideas on the sort of designs (colours, layout, navigation, etc) you would like.

Cheers,

Paul

paulhudson, Feb 20, 2008 IP
  9. patataur

patataur Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Paul. Such a site would be great. I might pay for a couple of drupal themes.

Any idea of how much you'd charge for a custom theme (rather simple)?

Anyway, i also encourage you to go into such a business, as drupal is great but unfortunately unless one does it by oneself it is very difficult to get new themes (maybe easier with drupal 6).

patataur, Feb 21, 2008 IP
  10. nontemplates

nontemplates Peon

Best Answers:
    Drupal is popular but learning curve rumors have scared alot of people away. Won't be as popular as selling Joomla and Wordpress themes. I think the reason you don't see as much themes for sale is that drupal is used by much more serious companies. You can charge a lot more for a custom drupal job than say the average Wordpress or Joomla user would be accustomed to spending.

nontemplates, Feb 22, 2008 IP
  11. Da Nag

Da Nag Peon

Best Answers:
    I think this is spot on.

Developing a Drupal site takes quite a bit of time, and yes - there is a significant learning curve compared to other options.

Given the commitment level it takes to do Drupal "right", I think most Drupal developers won't have any problem expending a little more time/energy to build their own themes, or modify those provided at Drupal.org.

I'm not saying there would be no demand - I just think your target audience is much larger elsewhere.

Da Nag, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  12. Funk-13

Funk-13 Member

Best Answers:
    Drupal is a great cms. But I don't use because of the lack of quality themes. I'm sure many people feel the same way I do. I think you should carry on with this project, I'm pretty sure it would be successful.

Funk-13, Feb 23, 2008 IP
  13. Juanzo

Juanzo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Paul, I've seen several threads discussing this at Drupal's forum and saw many people that agree with me. An equivalent of rocketheme or joomlart for Drupal would be awesome and I'd be a customer for sure.

As Suri.CMS said, the only bad thing about Drupal is the lack of good loocking themes and I'm sure the first one that makes a decent website with some themes on it will make good money.

By the way, would you mind PM'ing me the appoximate price of a Drupal theme port? For instance, the cost of porting our current theme or doing one fresh new like this one?

Juanzo, Feb 28, 2008 IP
  14. paulhudson

paulhudson Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello,

Thanks for all your comments and feedback.

Drupal does have a fairly steep learning curve (about 3 months for us), but once you master it nothing comes close to bettering it IMHO.

We have a couple of designs that we would like to offer as themes but they are still in Photoshop at the moment so there is some work to do yet!

Based on the interest above we will be offering themes for download at www.drupalsnippets.com. I will post here as soon as we have a couple of themes available.

Thanks again for your feedback,

Paul

paulhudson, Mar 1, 2008 IP
  15. Bohol

Bohol Peon

Best Answers:
    I've seen more Joomla themes than Drupal. Let me encourage you to pursue your dreams.

Bohol, Mar 1, 2008 IP
  16. toytown

toytown Peon

Best Answers:
    if drupal got good themes I would convert from Joomla.

toytown, Mar 19, 2008 IP
  17. Dominion

Dominion Peon

Best Answers:
    I suggest start free and than go commercial. It will be good to build a foundation of loyal users as well as see if your themes are actually up to par. Start off like RoopleTheme by making a few really good free templates.

Dominion, Mar 22, 2008 IP
  18. paulhudson

paulhudson Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello,

We have decided that we will be going ahead with this project, we love the Drupal content management system and we love designing great sites.

By developing themes and not whole sites, we will be able to concentrate on what we enjoy the most.

We welcome your suggestions for new Drupal themes here: http://www.drupalthememachine.com/forums/drupal-theme-requests

Happy Drupaling,

Paul

paulhudson, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  19. Juanzo

Juanzo Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is awesome news Paul! I've registered myself there but I'm still unable to post anything. Check control access to at least enable forum posting for authenticated users.

I don't have many ideas but would love to support you guys all I can!

Juanzo, Apr 16, 2008 IP
  20. Hon Daddy Dad

Hon Daddy Dad Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll take a look.

Hon Daddy Dad, Apr 16, 2008 IP