1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Drupal site randomly hangs

Discussion in 'Drupal' started by geomark, Oct 23, 2009.

Drupal site hangs for long periods of time at seemingly random intervals. Server isn't down - I can execute phpinfo.php or other things outside of Drupal. Hours later Druapl suddenly start working again.

Checking the mysql server with phpmyadmin I see a sleeping process appear each time I refresh the browser. mysql server is running and responding to the phpmyadmin queries. What is hanging? How to id the script or whatever that is going to sleep?

geomark, Oct 23, 2009 IP
  2. Tearabite

Tearabite Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    are you on a shared host, or a dedicated box ?

Tearabite, Oct 23, 2009 IP
  3. geomark

geomark Peon

Best Answers:
    Shared.

The site is live at another host and never had this problem. Moved it to the new host and it keeps hanging. New hosting service says there is nothing wrong with the server, must be some "custom coding" we did. Unlikely since nothing is "custom", just core Drupal plus some commonly used contributed modules.

I suspect that php is running out of resources on the new host but I don't know how to determine that. It hangs and sometimes throws a 500 internal server error.

geomark, Oct 23, 2009 IP
  4. Tearabite

Best Answers:
    So when you say it "hangs" - do you mean you just get a WSOD, or something else?
    Might just be something as simple as allocating more memory to PHP .

Tearabite, Oct 23, 2009 IP
  5. geomark

geomark Peon

Best Answers:
    Not exactly wsod. The browser just sits waiting. Sometimes after a long period of time the internal server error is thrown. I suspect it is php memory. It's set at 16M. Can't change it either, no access to php.ini

geomark, Oct 23, 2009 IP
  6. Tearabite

Best Answers:
    You might have to go shopping for another host.. Do you know if you're running a PHP cache like eAccelerator? I have a similar problem, which i'm pretty sure is due do eAccelerator, but it only happens once a month or so.

Tearabite, Oct 24, 2009 IP
  7. aap

aap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    can you install another Drupal site on same hosting and use default Drupal themes and modules.
    If the new drupal site with all default also hangs, than its a hosting related problem.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
    aap, Oct 25, 2009 IP
  8. geomark

geomark Peon

Best Answers:
    That's an interesting idea aap. But I have already followed Tearabite's advice and moved to another host. The hanging problem revealed how terrible the tech support is with the old host. So I'm sure I would not want to stay with them anyway.

I'm not aware of eAccelerator. Is that something I would install or the hosting service?

geomark, Oct 25, 2009 IP
  9. aap

aap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    eAccelerator is a open-source PHP accelerator, optimizer, and dynamic content cache.
    http://eaccelerator.net/

It can be installed by your web hosting provider or you can install if you have root access of server. If you are not facing any problem on new host, just leave it.

aap, Oct 25, 2009 IP
  10. geomark

geomark Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm up on the new host and no hanging problems so far. I should try to find out if the old host has eAccelerator installed.

geomark, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  11. Tearabite

Best Answers:
    i installed eAccelerator when I was starting to hit some performance issues. so unless you have a real busy site, or things are real slow, i wouldnt bother - so can read about how/why i did i here: Speed up your blog

Tearabite, Oct 26, 2009 IP
  12. Javed iqbal

Javed iqbal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    can you give detail and link of your site i will help you

Javed iqbal, Apr 6, 2010 IP