1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Drupal....or Not?

Discussion in 'Drupal' started by acw, May 12, 2011.

Can anyone think of a Reason Not to do a Website using a CMS?

In what situation would you not want to design a Website using a CMS?

For example, I heard that Drupal and other CMS are weak in building forums....

What else is Drupal not appropriate for?

acw, May 12, 2011 IP
  2. kawal24

kawal24 Peon

Best Answers:
    I totally disagree .Drupal has an inbuilt forum module. If you dont like that then there s advanced forum module available at drupal website which adds more features to it.

Moreover.if you are not satisfied with any of the above then you can embedd and integrate SMF forum,PHpbb forum with the drupal login system.

kawal24, May 13, 2011 IP
  3. syphon777

syphon777 Peon

Best Answers:
    It does have it's own built in forum, but its not the best. Ideally there will be a phpbb to drupal 7 module soon.

Drupal is amazing for building a site however. It makes it so easy to get what you want, and then its just a matter of adding content. It is more complicated than something like wordpress. So if you are just looking for a super basic blog then wordpress may be your best choice.

syphon777, May 13, 2011 IP
  4. acw

acw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys...

Not looking for something necessarily simple...but a program that i can use in the long run effectively.

WHAT ARE THE WEAKNESSES with "Drupal, Joomla or Wordpress?"

acw, May 14, 2011 IP
  5. Nirude

Nirude Member

Best Answers:
    I find doing small simple websites in Drupal a drag.. so I use WordPress for those ones. Everything else I do in Drupal. As for forums I just use vBulletin regardless, it really is the best..

Nirude, May 25, 2011 IP
  6. dennisb

dennisb Member

Best Answers:
    Well with the forum example, check out: http://www.webmaster-forums.net/ it completely build in Drupal.

I use Drupal or Wordpress, Wordpress for the 100% blog or basic websites Drupal for the rest ;)

dennisb, May 27, 2011 IP
  7. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    Such a misleading statement.

I myself used to build sites with Mambo/Joomla (a fair competitor of Drupal) until I came accross WordPress. It was meant to serve as a blogging platform back in the years but with the huge database of plugins you can build pretty much anything with WordPress these days. Of course, if you need a forum or an ecommerce site, better use a dedicated kit like vbulletin for a forum or opencart for an eshop.

Clive, May 27, 2011 IP
  8. kajol

kajol Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you need a medium level user management system, content management system use Drupal. If you need only a forum go with phpBB, vB or any other forum script. If you need both use Drupal with forum module.

kajol, May 30, 2011 IP
  9. cjscully

cjscully Active Member

Best Answers:
    IMHO their biggest strengths can be their biggest weaknesses if you need a highly specialized custom site (in terms of functionality, not appearance). All of them have a core code base, all of them can be extended with addons (plugins, modules, etc). These things are big advantages to non-programmers or relatively new programmers. If you're a programmer and you're capable of developing your own code for the specialized functions you need, you have to take the extra steps of hooking your functions into the core code by setting them up as valid extensions to the CMS you're using. Personally I don't think that's too big a deal, but I know others who just didn't want to be bothered learning the API and so on.

cjscully, Jun 7, 2011 IP
  10. moosegal

moosegal Peon

Best Answers:
    I was using drupal for an online book .... and it crashed. There seems to be a limit with the amount of content you put on it. I do like mambo, however I only use it as a toy to fool around with. I have been playing around with Elxis .. it seems to be a lot like mambo ... nice to work with.

moosegal, Aug 31, 2011 IP
  11. sambling

sambling Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    CMS are weak at forums, but you just use SMF and connect it to drupal or joomla.

sambling, Sep 16, 2011 IP
  12. wicasso

wicasso Peon

Best Answers:
    Drupal works best for me for many reasons :

1) It has an excellent, flexible theming and templating system. I can take my existing HTML/CSS design and port it easily to a Drupal theme with NO change. Instead of creating a theme from scratch or changing other themes, Drupal has many base/starter themes that allow designers to create, customize, adapt, port a theme without coding.

My favorite base/starter theme is AdaptiveTheme: drupal.org\project\adaptivetheme .

Adaptivetheme is a MOBILE theme, so my Drupal site now works on mobile devices!

2) Drupal has a huge, friendly community actively developing more than 10,000 modules and 1,000 themes for all types of sites.

3) Flexibility: Create my own CONTENT TYPE and create my own fields for the content type. Flexible theming system. Flexible API for creating own functionalities and integrating with other applications.

4) Commitment and active support for open Web standards, W3C standard compliance, accessibility, usability, etc...

5) Multilanguage and internationalization: I develop site for clients who want international languages along with English. Multilingual site is easy in Drupal. Multilanguage is built-in.

These are just a few reasons why I like Drupal.

wicasso, Sep 21, 2011 IP
  13. dennisb

dennisb Member

Best Answers:
    Well I wonder how many nodes (pages) you had created then. Because there are several Drupal websites with millions of pages on the net. I never heard anyone complaining about the limitations of the amount of content on a Drupal website. So can you please share some details if you have them?

dennisb, Sep 26, 2011 IP
  14. dennisb

dennisb Member

Best Answers:
    Don't forget scalability, Drupal can handle every kind of website, small or large ones.

dennisb, Sep 26, 2011 IP
  15. duckz

duckz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Kindly check victheme(dot)com and maybe or hopefully you can find something useful or things to compare:)

duckz, Oct 11, 2011 IP
  16. traffikmen

traffikmen Member

Best Answers:
    On cms drupal can do any site. joomla is much weaker than drupal
    email me to advise

traffikmen, Oct 25, 2011 IP
  17. clockwood

clockwood Peon

Best Answers:
    Drupal forums take a fair amount of setup to get working well. If you are using D6, Advanced Forum module makes things look and function a bit more like traditional forums. It's all about what modules you use.

clockwood, Nov 1, 2011 IP