1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Drupal + Forum

Discussion in 'Drupal' started by Cancel, Apr 21, 2011.

Hi all,

Which forum CMS is best for work with drupal?

I used vBulletin before with drupal. It has a good users bridge.

But vBulletin is paid and I'm looking for open source solution.

Please suggest a good free forum CMS with drupal user integration.

thnx

Cancel, Apr 21, 2011 IP
  2. kiramanic

kiramanic Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you ruled out just using the Advanced Forum module? It's not the most feature-rich forum in the world but it's got most of what you'd ever need and is built specifically for Drupal so there are no hassles with integration or bridging.

kiramanic, Apr 21, 2011 IP
  3. viplav3

viplav3 Peon

Best Answers:
    But if I'm getting 1000's of visitors then which one will be better to manage, Advanced Forum or phpBB/vBulletin?

viplav3, Apr 24, 2011 IP
  4. kiramanic

kiramanic Peon

Best Answers:
    I've honestly never had to worry about running such a large forum, so this is purely speculation, however...

When I think about all the things you'd need to do, lock/edit/move posts, ban users, sticky post, see forum stats Advanced Forum should be fine. You'd also get the advantage of having things like the userpoints and user badges modules already integrated into the author bit on forum posts.

On the other hand, last I heard version 2 had some problems with unread posts in subforums not being included in the unread post count, or something along those lines. Might be worth a quick trawl through the issue queue to see if there are any dealbreakers outstanding. I've used vBulletin too and that came with it's own share of bugs so if the choice is between free bugs or paid bugs I'd go with free :p

kiramanic, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  5. Cancel

Cancel Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I tried the Advanced Forum and looking for more powerful forum solution.

Cancel, Apr 26, 2011 IP
  6. viplav3

viplav3 Peon

Best Answers:
    kiramanic, that's very nice eloboration. I'm looking anything which has least maintenace( AF vs Free Forums) since I don't have support personnel except for myself. I was thinking may be phpBB should be good one, because if my forum becomes popular, I can move to vBulletin or IP, as migration is simple. I fear that may be quite difficult for AF or Drupal Form. What do you say?

viplav3, Apr 26, 2011 IP
  7. viplav3

viplav3 Peon

Best Answers:
    Could you please elaborate?

viplav3, Apr 26, 2011 IP
  8. bojanvuk

bojanvuk Active Member

Best Answers:
    Advanced Forum is a drupal module developed mainly by one person and it will never as feature rich as dedicated forum software.
    If you have 1000s of visitors you should be able to monetize your traffic and pay for the vBulletin (or other) license easily. If you really want free software phpBB is ok, just upgrade it often!

bojanvuk, Apr 29, 2011 IP
  9. syphon777

syphon777 Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't had any problems with advanced forum yet, but I don't have too many users. Do you know if it would be possible to port advanced forum/drupal users to phpbb once a site is already up and running? I would have to wait for the phpbb integration to come out for drupal 7 though.

syphon777, May 11, 2011 IP