1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dropshipping startup tips?

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by Arson, Jan 21, 2012.

For the past few weeks I have been looking into dropshipping as a way to bring in some extra income, and more and more I find myself feeling I could and should make a career of e-commerce. I have built my fair share of websites, but am only beginning to scratch the surface when it comes to dropshipping. It is something I feel I could do for a living, and am anxious to get started.

I know the basics of dropshipping, and the kind of work and dedication it requires to be successful, and am prepared to spend as long as it takes in front of a computer screen to be successful...I definitely have plenty of time on my hands. Ultimately I would like this to replace, and eventually surpass my part-time, minimum wage income, and am willing to do whatever it takes to make that happen.

Ive checked out sites like Worldwide Brands and Doba, checked out dobas free trial (wasnt impressed with their selection of overpriced, cheaply made products), ive read lots of posts about dropshipping and have heard many horror stories as well as success stories. I will probably drop the $300 on the worldwide brands membership, but there are still some things Id like to figure out before I dive in head first with no floaties lol

For instance, I see a lot of people saying its all about product research, figure out what you want to sell, then crunch the numbers and give it a whirl..how do I go about crunching the numbers? Say I want to sell a fishing pole on ebay or amazon. What factors do I need to consider? I can venture a guess that I would need to see how many people are already listing the product, how many of the listings are selling, and their prices, but Ive never been good with numbers. How do i come to a conclusion of whether or not i should sell the product?

Im sure some of it comes down to blind faith, quality of service, and how well I market the product, but I just dont feel confident with the little knowledge I have on the subject to take a leap of faith just yet. I am hoping that someone with experience in the industry, good or bad, could shed some light for me and put me on the right path.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Arson, Jan 21, 2012 IP
  2. balkanboy82

balkanboy82 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have read a great ebooks just yesterday and the guy had a great point. If you set up LLC company, phone manufacturers directly and ask them to drop ship. If they don't do that, ask for distributors.

Save $300 for worldwidebrands, I paid it (and salehoo.com). They have decent lists, but lot of people start there so you will have much more competitors in terms of prices.

You will need LLC to do business with anyone, so that must be a first step.

Hope this helps.

balkanboy82, Jan 22, 2012 IP
  3. Arson

Arson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks I will start looking into forming an LLC asap. It looks like legalzoom provides a pretty simple process for $99 plus state fees. Is that reasonable or is the process easy enough to do on my own and save $99 lol

Contacting the manufacturers directly is a great idea, thanks!

Where could I find some good ebook on this subject?

Arson, Jan 22, 2012 IP
  4. balkanboy82

balkanboy82 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Form a company in Dalware. You will get goods from manufactures without sales tax.

I am fairly new to this, doing it for less than a year now.

Everything I said is from ebook from here: http://www.americanbusinesslaunch.com/

The guy wrote his own experience in detail, really good read.

balkanboy82, Jan 22, 2012 IP
  5. Joe Martin

Joe Martin Peon

Best Answers:
    Great info, I was curious too.

Joe Martin, Jan 23, 2012 IP
  6. drunkglitch

drunkglitch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't recommend drop-shipping the company you buy the goods from can send defective goods and you will be the one who will have to refund your customer the drop shipping company will get away with it and to make it worse the drop ship company will more than likely be making a bigger profit than you when you are the one running the risk. You have to be very careful when drop shipping. Worldwide brands is poor The only reason why people say it is amazing is because they are paid 60USD when they sell it. Not because they actually like it or use it. you need to get a stupid bank account and a sales tax id which is ridiculously pointless. If I were you I would just import some products from China or somewhere and then sell them in your country make sure you pay by paypal though so you can get a refund if something goes wrong. When you import goods you don't need a sales ID.

drunkglitch, Jan 29, 2012 IP
  7. Arson

Arson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the warning drunkglitch.
    I decided that dropshipping probably isn't the route I want to take to online riches..

Arson, Jan 29, 2012 IP
  8. nelram

nelram Member

Best Answers:
    Keep us posted on how this works out for you! I tried doing dropshipping once and it turned out to be a horrible experience. My only advice is to make sure you use a dropshipping company that has been around a long time.

nelram, Jan 30, 2012 IP
  9. mrahmeduk

mrahmeduk Peon

Best Answers:
    I think i have to agree. I failed doing dropshipping a few times, you will need a well known dropshipper with good profit margins. So research is important. Also dropshipping can be a risk sometimes as they might mess up some order and can give your site business a bad reputation. Wholesale is good as you get more discount and your incontrol. Just my view. Peace.

Mr Ahmed

mrahmeduk, Feb 6, 2012 IP
  10. Tangible Asset

Tangible Asset Peon

Best Answers:
    Does anyone know of a legit printing/poster dropshipping program? Everything I'm finding is super expensive and takes away all the profits. I have a niche I've done my keyword research on and know I can dominate. You can get prints for like $0.01-0.20 USD when you buy in bulk in China but I don't have the capital for that right now. :\

Tangible Asset, Feb 6, 2012 IP
  11. drunkglitch

Best Answers:
    I don't recommend drop-shipping it isn't worth the risk for the profits you will be getting just go straight to wholesale I would say $100 would be adequate capital to start you up

drunkglitch, Feb 7, 2012 IP
  12. GoldSEO

GoldSEO Member

Best Answers:
    Dropshipping is absolutely legit, if your suppliers are also legitimate.

You would be wise to contact distributors directly, or do intense research on dropshipp networks that have actual goods.

Try to look for your sources yourself, because those that have good suppliers will not give them away.

GoldSEO, Feb 7, 2012 IP
  13. nemis1s9

nemis1s9 Active Member

Best Answers:
    nemis1s9, Feb 7, 2012 IP
  14. drunkglitch

Best Answers:
    Thats exactly what you don't want to do. You need to find something in low demand but people still want it there will be a lot less competition trying to sell at the lowest price so you will make more profit. You can't drop ship things that are in high demand you have to carry your own stock.

drunkglitch, Feb 8, 2012 IP
  15. bannerweaver

bannerweaver Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey, so finally what happened?

bannerweaver, Feb 10, 2012 IP
  16. prettyricky

prettyricky Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey guys been browsing these forums for close to a year now, and finally decided to join this awesome forum. I am a direct manufacturer and reseller of teeth whitening products that could possibly help out in your e-commerce ventures. Although, my main interest would be to have someone JV with me that has a high traffic site, I can dropship as well. If anyone might be interested send me a PM anytime.

Cheers,
    Rick

prettyricky, Feb 12, 2012 IP
  17. mywindowsol

mywindowsol Peon

Best Answers:
    Keep us published on how this performs out for you! I tried doing drop shipping once and it became a awful encounter. My only assistance is to create sure you use a drop shipping organization that has been around a while.

mywindowsol, Feb 18, 2012 IP
  18. KarenHaley

KarenHaley Peon

Best Answers:
    I tried it once and lost a lot of money!

KarenHaley, Feb 18, 2012 IP