1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dropped from dmoz after a year and a half.

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by iconrate, May 24, 2005.

I'm seeing big changes in dmoz sitewide including the category I was in. Is anyone else noticing this? Mine isn't the only one dropped there are at least 5 that I know of... and new additions that make hardly any sense to me. :(
    see:
    http://directory.google.com/Top/Com..._Messaging/AOL_Instant_Messenger/Buddy_Icons/
    The funny thing is the #1 result doesn't even have any buddy icons. Could there be an evil editor in here? :eek:

iconrate, May 24, 2005 IP
  2. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    minstrel, May 24, 2005 IP
  3. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    noppid, May 24, 2005 IP
  4. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm checking for you - it does not make sense.

macdesign, May 24, 2005 IP
  5. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    On a side note MacDesign, you haven't updated your Coop code on your Cool Sites Project ;)

yfs1, May 24, 2005 IP
  6. iconrate

iconrate Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It seems like the whole category was changed... which is probably a good thing in the long run I guess. Updates are good :s

7. nfd2005

nfd2005 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is google directory different from dmoz? They seem to be the same, but my site isn't listed on google, but it is on dmoz...

Sorry if this question seems dumb..

nfd2005, May 24, 2005 IP
  8. minstrel

Best Answers:
    The Google Directory is theoretically the same as DMOZ because it ia a DMOZ feed with a few Google feature (PageRank graphs) added.

However, in reality there may well be some differences because Google only updates it's feed from DMOZ periodically and not on any fixed schedule. I'm not sure what the current or recent stats are but if I recall correctly the feed was only updated perhaps 3 times in all of 2004... thus, what's in the "Google Directory" can diverge from the current DMOZ index over time, with newer sites not showing up in the Google Directory and sites deleted by DMOZ remaining in the Google Directory until it next decides to download a feed from DMOZ.

It used to be more regular and frequent. the fact that it is now infrequent and irregular is one of the things that has given rise to speculation that Google is phasing it out.

9. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Was you site down at all recently? If so, the dmoz robots probably may have taken your site off.

ViciousSummer, May 24, 2005 IP
    joeychgo likes this.
  10. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    hmm are they programmed to take a site off for being down once when they spider it?

Blogmaster, May 24, 2005 IP
    joeychgo likes this.
  11. minstrel

Best Answers:
    They are programmed to take a site off just for looking a little too ugly on a Monday morning... or a Friday afternoon...

12. iconrate

Best Answers:
    That'd probably explain it. However it doesn't explain the other 3 or 4 members here who've also been removed from that category. Obviously it's a human edited directory though so anything's possible.
    I got this in my stats a bit ago:
    editors.dmoz .org/editors/addurl.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.iconrate.com%2F&cat=Test
    Not sure what that is but can hope for the best :)

13. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    .......org/editors/addurl.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.iconrate.com%2F&cat=Test

That was me. I'll give you two more hits right now.

14. iconrate

Best Answers:
    I figured as much ;]
    Any idea why this has happened?

15. macdesign

macdesign Peon

Best Answers:
    I've got someone looking at it, but I can't promise anything. It could have been that you were removed for a good reason or you got removed in error as part of an overhaul. There were a lot of dead and useless sites removed.

16. minstrel

Best Answers:
    "Uh-oh... something said... not good... what was it?" - Homer Simpson

17. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Just as some background - the spider that the ODP uses certainly doesn't remove listings based on a single check. That would be pretty harsh.

Also, anything it removes isn't actually deleted - it's moved into an "offline area" for an editor to come by and check up on, to see if the site has returned, or if an alternate URL can be found. The hope is that the number of inactive sites in the directory is kept to a minimum. Sometimes it works better than others :(

While I know you guys have little confidence in the "humans do it better" principle that the ODP works on, I hope you will see that this method fits with the vision, that very little is done on the directory without some sort of human double-checking.

Alucard, May 25, 2005 IP
  18. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    Well, Mcdesign, I am in the same category as Iconrate, and my site was also removed. So were a few other sites I know.

And I have also been listed there for more than a year. Oh, and my site hasn't been offline ever.

fryman, May 25, 2005 IP
  19. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    be interesting to know the outcome of this one.
    After all, there has been quite a bit of dmoz bashing done in here.
    Fryman, Iconrate - have you been flaming the wrong people ?

jlawrence, May 25, 2005 IP
  20. davert

davert Banned

Best Answers:
    Well...I'd probably have more faith if acarplace.com had not been trashed by editor elwoodsharp and then deleted in 2002 because of unnamed "problems," and never restored...it's one of the least advertising-contaminated auto review sites out there... and other sites I've found nearly impossible to get in as well. Of course they're STILL better than Yahoo, but some of the editors are bad apples, and the general attitude is "screw you" if you have a problem oro want more information. Some ombudsmen would not hurt given the money that I'd assume is coming in. Nor would some sort of appeals process even if it was offered at a nominal cost, e.g. $50. Or accepting more junior editors more easily for sites without any editors rather than having "Volunteer to edit this page!" notes at the bottom of every page and then rejecting every applicant and saying "You have to start lower!"

...there are reasons why some people hate DMOZ. there are reasons why some people love DMOZ. It's a mixed bag, but I think there is probably a general consensus that with a few exceptions, present company included in the exceptions list, most of the DMOZ folk have a pretty bad attitude, admittedly shaped by the massive scads of sleazy SOBs mass-submitting crappy sites and pulling other sleazy tricks on 'em.

davert, May 26, 2005 IP