1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dropdown or no dropdown menus for ecommerce site

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Anveto, Mar 1, 2015.

I have been working a bit with ecommerce websites recently and was trying to figure out if it is better to use dropdown menus or stay away from them entirely and show any subcategories on the next page. Personally I think I would prefer to not have any dropdowns but I have an investor who insists on using them.

What do you guys think is better and why?

Anveto, Mar 1, 2015 IP
  2. hdewantara

hdewantara Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Markus.
    Just a guess. If that also targets audience with mobiles, just make sure that all dropdowns are accessible with some clicks (instead of hovering).

Also, how do you plan to show subOfsubOf Categories with subOfsubOf Menus? I've seen 1 or two sites with that and... really hate them. They're just too confusing to look at... and to be coded :eek:

Hendra

hdewantara, Mar 1, 2015 IP
  3. Anveto

Anveto Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well I just want to go two categories deep in this case. As an example the first category might be cars, sub categories would be SUV, sedan, etc. and then no more sub categories. The user is of course free to not have to navigate to further sub categories but can filter by price, manufacturer and other things and the category of just cars.

Anveto, Mar 1, 2015 IP
  4. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I'll be honest with you, I've not just soured on dropdown/flyout menus, they piss me off now -- not just as a developer, but also as someone who actually uses websites. It gets WORSE when you start dealing with the goofy "Let's hide the menu" game many people developing for mobile seem bound and determined to piss off users with.

STICK with conventional drill-down through the site by category, your users will likely thank you for it by actually buying stuff, instead of getting annoyed and/or bailing out of frustration on dealing with "Link Overload".

Large menus are only useful for people looking for VERY specific items; and to be frank that's search's job, not a menu's.

deathshadow, Mar 2, 2015 IP