1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Drop down list not fully displaying...

Discussion in 'CSS' started by bellcom, Jun 20, 2014.

I installed a mod that shows images in the drop down list when you choose options and maybe there is a conflict with one of my other mods or the journal template I am using with opencart.

The dropdown select list seems to be behind the add to cart button below so some of the options in my list are not visible. There should be 3 options visible. I already contacted the developer for help but thought maybe someone would be able to see a quick css fix that I am missing? Maybe I need a z-index somewhere?

If I put more options down below making the option area taller/larger then it displays everything fine.

Here is the product with the options: http://racemeshtrucks.com/test-products
    If you click the "Test Option" option you will see what I mean.

thanks!
    -George

bellcom, Jun 20, 2014 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest firing you developer and pitching that entire buggy, broken inaccessible MESS in the trash. There is so much broken and unusable on that page that you're looking at more time to clean up the problems than it would be to throw it away and start over from scratch.

Since thanks to developer ineptitude like this idiocy:
    <div class="journal-cart j-min xs-100 sm-100 md-33 lg-25 xl-25">
    Code (markup):
    or this bekaptah nonsense:
    <html dir="ltr" lang="en" class="opera opera9 win journal-desktop product-page product-page-86 layout-2 boxed-header backface one-column product-grid-second-image product-list-second-image" data-j2v="2.1.2">
    Code (markup):
    or this halfwit garbage:
    link rel="stylesheet" href="//fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Oswald:regular&amp;subset=latin"/>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="catalog/view/javascript/jquery/ui/themes/ui-lightness/jquery-ui-1.8.16.custom.css?j2v=2.1.2"/>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="catalog/view/theme/journal2/lib/owl-carousel/owl.carousel.css?j2v=2.1.2"/>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="catalog/view/theme/journal2/lib/magnific-popup/magnific-popup.css?j2v=2.1.2"/>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="catalog/view/javascript/jquery/colorbox/colorbox.css?j2v=2.1.2"/>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="catalog/view/theme/journal2/css/hint.min.css?j2v=2.1.2"/>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="catalog/view/theme/journal2/css/journal.css?j2v=2.1.2"/>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="catalog/view/theme/journal2/css/features.css?j2v=2.1.2"/>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="catalog/view/theme/journal2/css/header.css?j2v=2.1.2"/>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="catalog/view/theme/journal2/css/module.css?j2v=2.1.2"/>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="catalog/view/theme/journal2/css/pages.css?j2v=2.1.2"/>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="catalog/view/theme/journal2/css/account.css?j2v=2.1.2"/>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="catalog/view/theme/journal2/css/blog-manager.css?j2v=2.1.2"/>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="catalog/view/theme/journal2/css/side-column.css?j2v=2.1.2"/>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="catalog/view/theme/journal2/css/product.css?j2v=2.1.2"/>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="catalog/view/theme/journal2/css/category.css?j2v=2.1.2"/>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="catalog/view/theme/journal2/css/footer.css?j2v=2.1.2"/>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="catalog/view/theme/journal2/css/icons.css?j2v=2.1.2"/>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="index.php?route=journal2/assets/css&amp;j2v=2.1.2" />
    Code (markup):
    The 59k of markup and ungodly endless scripting for NOTHING to deliver 1.2k of plaintext and ONE content image being proof enough that whoever developed that site has NO business making websites! 2.3 megabytes in 100 separate files for THAT? Time to take that one 'round back o' the woodshed to be put down like Old Yeller.

Good luck fixing anything. It's a laundry list of how not to build a website, and throwing silver bullet fixes at it isn't going to help matters one lick. That's like putting a band-aid on a wound caused by a 30mm beehive round.

Sorry if that's harsh, but that's the truth of the matter; this train wreck of developer ineptitude is some of the worst development practices I've seen in quite some time. This isn't a laundry list of how not to build a website, it's a Billboard top 100.

deathshadow, Jun 25, 2014 IP
    COBOLdinosaur likes this.
  3. bellcom

bellcom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Forgot to update thread, problem solved, except for the ungodly endless scripting.
    Man I paid $45 for that OpenCart template :)

bellcom, Jun 25, 2014 IP
  4. COBOLdinosaur

COBOLdinosaur Active Member

Best Answers:
    You paid for a mess like that? :eek:

P. T. Barnum was right.

COBOLdinosaur, Jun 25, 2014 IP
  5. bellcom

Best Answers:
    Yeah and then I resold it for a heck of a lot more and they loved it :) Its the 4th site that person bought from me. Its what I do all day and its fun and what I would be doing in my spare time if I had a real job LOL. Until I can put in the time to learn to code correctly I modify pre-made opencart or magento templates and the clients keep coming so I guess there is still a niche market for overpriced crappy sites as long as the clients are making money.

Guess I could sell them for more if they were coded correctly... Everytime I find a good programmer to work with they seem to disappear after a while or move on to something else.

I look at other peoples sites that are good at coding but the sites look like they are from the 90's and the graphics suck. In my experience people will buy something poorly coded that looks cool over something correctly coded that is plain & boring.

bellcom, Jun 25, 2014 IP
  6. COBOLdinosaur

Best Answers:
    Only at the low end of the market. If you want bid on big money RFPs you need to be able to deliver security, support and tech quality, or you don't even get short-listed.

7. bellcom

Best Answers:
    That is true, I get a lot of local clients wanting to only spend 1000-1500 and thats what I do.

So is there a forum section here for "low end" people like me or can we just share and only post on topics where you actually have something valuable to contribute?

bellcom, Jun 25, 2014 IP
  8. COBOLdinosaur

Best Answers:
    For the most part the tech forums are "low end". They are also a place where untrained and undisciplined; but talented developers look for assistance so they can move up to higher paying work.

Everything I post has value for anyone looking to move ahead and get better at what they do. For those who are happy to remain where they are I guess they will find little value just as I see very little value in opinions from the margins where technical quality and reliability are unknown

9. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    So you took something you didn't understand, flipped it on someone to exploit their ignorance... wow, I really pity the people who you're duping into using this crap. Can you get any more sleazy in this industry than that?

Graphics doesnt == success. Look at the top ten websites on the Internet; they're not well coded either, but you look at e-bay, amazon, facebook, twitter -- not exactly graphics heavy tour-de-force. They have content of value, and nothing else matters.

Most graphic heavy fancy bull being nothing more than sweeping a lack of content or developer ineptitude under the rug.

In other words, to be brutally frank, ripping off people who don't know any better. Way to go.

Gah, I'd probably be a billionaire by now if I could throw my ethics in the trash.

deathshadow, Jun 25, 2014 IP
  10. COBOLdinosaur

Best Answers:
    Yeah but would you be able to sleep at night and look at yourself in the mirror?