1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DRM protecting PDF-files, best solution?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by tomten, Dec 3, 2007.

Hi,

I want to have a solution where I can DRM protect PDF-files.

Have anyone got experience from Lizard Safeguard PDF Security
    http://www.locklizard.com

Or, Armjisoft PDF Ownerguard
    http://www.armjisoft.com/

Both solutions are kinda expensive, but I would like to know which one is best for automated situation.

Thanks!

tomten, Dec 3, 2007 IP
  2. Tarmac

Tarmac Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Tomten,

I've been looking at using a DRM solution for secure distribution of some of my companys documentation. I had a look at all the complete protection systems: Adobe, Locklizard, Armjisoft. They all offer free trials so you can see what they each offer.

Adobe still have not got their act together and are still using passwords or linking to your adobe website account. Even if the document is secure you can just send the password to someone else and they can open it... Not really very well thought out, not to mention your paying 12,000 for the pleasure

Locklizard was the easiest of them to use once you see how it fits together. Keeping a database for customer records and document records helps with management. It also offers an eCommerce Integration to link in with a online payment system. I didn't need it for what i'm doing so i'm not sure about the details.

Armjisoft software locks down your system a little too much for my liking. To view the documents their software acts a bit too intrusively. Not sure having to copy/paste long keys isn't much fun either. I don't see exactly what some of the functionality they offer is for either.

If you want automation i think locklizard would be the best choice. You can see a couple of online bookstore in their customer testimonials. It must work or they wouldn't be using it

Tarmac, May 1, 2008 IP
    esther.paul likes this.
  3. samina

samina Peon

Best Answers:
    I've used LockLizard SafeGuard before, to secure my company documents, but due to the restrictions and my user hassles I've switched to PDF OwnerGuard.

Here is some of the differences which makes me change my DRM provider

1 ) Users want to access their protected PDFs using standard Adobe Reader not a custom Viewer like SafeGaurd Secure Viewer.

2 ) SafeGuard secure viewer did not support all PDF features. Like 3D PDFs, using videos. Flash , Forms, Attachments and ...

3 ) SafeGuard secure viewer did not support all features of Adobe Reader like Text commenting, Voice commenting, Saving comments, Java scripts ...

PDF OwnerGuard License Manager is a transparent DRM layer for users and users are able to access the protected PDFs like normal PDFs using standard Adobe Reader.

samina, May 1, 2008 IP
  4. Tarmac

Tarmac Peon

Best Answers:
    We paid an independent security consultant to evaluate Armjisoft for us and the report they came back with was bad news. It does not use plug-ins to Adobe but 'plug-outs' and the security consultant showed us a quick work-around to bypass all the security. So you may get more features with OwnerGuard but if you are purchasing a security product it should at least provide some security... You might as well password protect with Adobe and save yourself a lot of money.

Tarmac, May 1, 2008 IP
  5. samina

samina Peon

Best Answers:
    We've not faced any security problems using this system. But There is only one work-around :
    If you give your users the printing rights, then they can use virtual printers, but we've not give printing rights to our users, so we've not faced any security issues till now.

By the way LockLizard security systems has been bypassed very easily by our users in the first 2 months

here are the un protected files from locklizard website

Protceted PDFs from LockLizard website
    locklizard.com/Safeguard_demo/A_History_of_Rights_Management.pdc
    locklizard.com/Safeguard_demo/LockLizard_Secure_PDF_Viewer_v25.pdc

Web Page : locklizard.com/pdf_security_demo.htm

Unprotected Ones
    rapidshare.com/files/111801589/A_History_of_Rights_Management.pdf.html
    rapidshare.com/files/111802032/LockLizard_Secure_PDF_Viewer_v25.pdf.html

samina, May 1, 2008 IP
  6. Tarmac

Tarmac Peon

Best Answers:
    I went to the locklizard web site and that file is available in pdf format from their education center - so not sure what you are claiming here? See locklizard.com/A_History_of_Rights_Management.pdf. Just like the other document you refer to which is available here in PDF format - locklizard.com/LockLizard_Secure_PDF_Viewer_v25.pdf. It must have taken great skill for your users to manage to download these files from their web site!

Tarmac, May 1, 2008 IP
  7. samina

samina Peon

Best Answers:
    Very Fast Response. ;) But I can send you another evidences on request...

samina, May 1, 2008 IP
  8. esther.paul

esther.paul Active Member

Best Answers:
    Informative, however I still prefer Adobe over others for now :)

esther.paul, Sep 28, 2017 IP