1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dreamweaver or FrontPage?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by scylla, Feb 22, 2006.

?

Dreamweaver or FrontPage?

1. Dreamweaver

87.5%
  2. FrontPage

12.5%
  1. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    What utter BS!

Yes it is. So is FrontPage.

Yeah, right. And I bet you do all your own dental work and brain surgery, too :rolleyes:

minstrel, Mar 8, 2006 IP
  2. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I agree. I mostly work in "split-screen view" whether I'm using Dreamweaver (most of the time) or FrontPage (some of the time). And I think if you don't have at least a minimal knowledge of HTML you're probably not going to be entirely happy with the results of any WYSIWYG editor, I don't care what it is.

minstrel, Mar 8, 2006 IP
  3. Vrindavan

Vrindavan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    a bit off topic,
    but i am curious to know if there is any freeware
    comparable to DW ?

Vrindavan, Mar 8, 2006 IP
  4. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Nvu - Complete Web Authoring System
    Nvu is a WYSIWYG editor that is designed to make the creation of web sites as easy for novices as it is using commercial web editors like FrontPage and DreamWeaver. It is based on the Mozilla Composer web editor (see elsewhere on this page) and includes new features that will eventually make its way back into Mozilla Composer. This open source editor is available for Linux and Windows.

Mozilla Composer
    Mozilla, the web browser, comes with a WYSIWYG web editor that allows you to quickly code web pages using a wordprocessor-like interface. For more information, please read the detailed review of the Mozilla Composer on thesitewizard.com. You can also find a comprehensive tutorial on How to Design and Publish Your Website with Mozilla Composer there.

Trellian WebPAGE
    Trellian WebPAGE is a free WYSIWYG web editor with a drag and drop interface, a preview screen that allows you to see your page under three common screen widths (640, 800 and 1024), built-in FTP uploader, table creation wizard, form creation tool, etc. It also has a syntax highlighting HTML editor for people who may want to switch to the HTML mode for some fine tuning.

Amaya Web Browsing and Authoring
    Amaya is an open source browser and WYSIWYG web authoring environment that purports to allow its users to develop web pages without knowing anything about HTML or CSS. You can create your pages, view them, and upload them to your website using this software. It supports CSS (including CSS 2), HTML, XHTML, MathML 2.0 (which allows you to browse and write web pages containing mathematical symbols), etc. There are versions for Windows (a separate one for NT/2000/XP and 95/98/98SE/ME), Linux and Sparc Solaris.

Netscape Composer
    Netscape (yes, the browser) comes with an easy WYSIWYG web editor that allows you to get started with your own web page quickly and easily. It supports the usual text and graphics and is generally adequate for the beginning webmaster. To get it, simply download the full Netscape package. Note that Netscape Composer is probably just a version of Mozilla Composer (also listed on this page). For more information about Netscape Composer see the detailed review of the Mozilla Composer on thesitewizard.com. You can also find a comprehensive tutorial on How to Design and Publish Your Website with Mozilla Composer there.

minstrel, Mar 8, 2006 IP
  5. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This poll is missing options.

I hate both FrontPage and Dreamweaver because they leave tons of junk in your pages by opening non-sense spaces and breaklines, adding <font> tags to images which don't require them, useless tabs, etc. etc. etc.

The more junk and spaces your page has the more loading time.

I edit my files with raw Araneae www.araneae.com
    requires html knowlege though

Mystique, Mar 9, 2006 IP
  6. Vrindavan

Vrindavan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    >> The more junk and spaces your page has the more loading time.

- how much longer for broadband connection ?
    - Can Araneae support WYSIWYG mode ?

Vrindavan, Mar 9, 2006 IP
  7. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Don't worry, Vrindavan. Threads like this one always get silly in a hurry.

Even on dialup any additional load time created by spaces or a few extra tags won't be noticeable. What DOES add to load time are features like image-swapping rollovers, images where plain text will do, Flash anything, etc.

minstrel, Mar 9, 2006 IP
  8. plmerlin

plmerlin Guest

Best Answers:
    I use notepad++ my engineer make 'emergency fixes' directly on the server using vi...

plmerlin, Mar 9, 2006 IP
  9. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Yah, the extra code written by either DW or FP is pretty minimal and likely won't have any impact on load time. However this MAY be terribly troubling to perfectionist coders :D.

I guess my point is if you hate them both then DON'T USE EM ;).

Homer, Mar 9, 2006 IP
    SiteExpress likes this.
  10. SiteExpress

SiteExpress Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. years ago, when most people were on 9400 baud, extra code may have had a big impact, but these days, I think it is minimal at best. Whatever you are comfortable using is the best option for you. Just dont let your comfort level prevent you from learning something new as well, such as css.

SiteExpress, Mar 9, 2006 IP
  11. ginostylz

ginostylz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Both are basically the same.
    Whether I use DW or FP2003 I still find myself editing the code sometimes and work in design/code veiw.

I do notice that FP more often shows wysiwyg more acurately than DW. If you bring in a site it sometimes looks jumbled up in DW, but in FP it usually looks the same or more similar as it will in internet explorer.

Microsoft is supposed to come out with some kind of new proffesional design suite soon anyway, so their web design tool may change anyway.

I do agree with golive being terrible to work with, but that might be because I found it difficult to work with because I was set on the other two.

ginostylz, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  12. Notting

Notting Notable Member

Best Answers:
    DW every time

Notting, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  13. TAshkar18

TAshkar18 Peon

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver owns :D way better than anything.

TAshkar18, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  14. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    how much depends on the total lenght of your page, but made with FrontPage or Dreamweaver pages usually end with 25k being nice... generally are around or over 50k taken 1-3 minutes to load on average.

Araneae is a raw html editor so you always will see the coding, whether HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, CGI, ASP ,etc.

to test how the page you are working on will look like you simply press F4 and the page is displayed in your browser automatically, but the editor has not WYSYWYG facilities, except this function.

Mystique, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  15. minstrel

Best Answers:
    That is such utter nonsense I'll do my best to ignore it. :rolleyes:

In split view, you can do the same or Dreamweaver and Frontpage. They too are "raw HTML editors".

In DW or FP, you have both "design view" and option to display in the browsers of your choice.

minstrel, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  16. Oak Aged

Oak Aged Peon

Best Answers:
    Mystique, sounds like you need a new ISP.

Minstrel, off topic for a sec, do you feel it's still important to make sure your pages look right at 640? I do test my pages down to 800, and I know that some of them get pretty nasty at 640. Do you think I should consider redoing my site's basic structure to make sure it resizes well at that res.?

I welcome any opinions on this side topic but I don't want to hijack the thread.

Oak Aged, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  17. minstrel

Best Answers:
    I don't. I'm sure there are those who would argue that you should design your site to display the same at any resolution, including on cell phone browsers, but I think you reach a point of diminishing returns where the extra work for <0.1% of visitors can be better directed to other things. I target 800 x 600 as the lowest resolution.

minstrel, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  18. Scott Botkins

Scott Botkins Peon

Best Answers:
    Frontpage is much better than Dreamweaver, but Frontpage has its flaws because of the extra junk it puts in. Especially the famous border color 111111 lol.

Scott Botkins, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  19. infonote

infonote Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    At the moment i am using Netbeans, webprogramming in Java.

infonote, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  20. Gaffer Sports

Gaffer Sports Guest

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver is streets ahead of frontpage in my opinion, and if you can start with this you will be laughing.

Gaffer Sports, Mar 14, 2006 IP