1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dreamweaver or FrontPage?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by scylla, Feb 22, 2006.

?

Dreamweaver or FrontPage?

1. Dreamweaver

87.5%
  2. FrontPage

12.5%
  1. johneva

johneva Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You dont listen well either do you how many time do I need to say I no it was not made with front page.

But it just shows you code excessivly anyways.

And yes total agree this is a pointless argument it is upto you how you make your pages.

Yes the best feature of using CSS is the way it makes editing so easy.

My point was though front page does code pages with excessive amounts of code.

johneva, Feb 24, 2006 IP
  2. jkomp

jkomp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver is better but notepad is even betterer ;)

jkomp, Feb 24, 2006 IP
  3. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Then if you really DO understand this, what do my pages have to do with the pros and cons of FrontPage? You're just going around in circles blowing smoke... :rolleyes:

minstrel, Feb 24, 2006 IP
  4. johneva

Best Answers:
    Just that the site you have made is code excessivly.

Now if the your code your pages are excessivly coded you cant hardley say Front Page does not use excessive code cos you do the same.

But looking at some of your other posts you do know CSS quite well and so you do know what I mean about code bloating.

So the only thing I can now think of is you like playing games with people.

johneva, Feb 24, 2006 IP
    kk5st likes this.
  5. L146705

L146705 Peon

Best Answers:
    dreamweaver is by far the best.

Frontpage has the advantage that it is similar to microsoft word or excell in layout so it is easier to learn if you have used microsoft products beforehand.

L146705, Feb 24, 2006 IP
  6. johneva

Best Answers:

Thats very true and a good point about ease of use for Microsoft users.

johneva, Feb 24, 2006 IP
  7. Oak Aged

Oak Aged Peon

Best Answers:
    The originator of this thread, Scylla, asked:

Scylla already has free access to FP, so the question of whether it's better to use freeware will be moot until school is done and it's time to buy a copy. But on that point, I'd argue that there are more reasons than cost and convenience to use a dedicated web development package rather than an individual tool for each function. For one, how about moving a bunch of files? For example, I've got four SHTML files that each call a separate PHP file, all in the same directory. I've decided to move the PHP files to a /script/ directory.

Using separate tools, I'd have to move the files, then manually edit each of them to update any references to other files, then manually find and manually edit every file that references the PHP files. That's anywhere from nine to dozens of steps just to move four files, potentially a lot of work and time, and a very high chance for error.

Using DW, I click one PHP file, hold CTRL and click the other three, and drag them to the new directory. DW asks me if I want to update the links, so it's one more click to confirm, and I'm done. Zero errors. Next to zero time.

FP's biggest advantage is that it's by Micropuffed. Which means it looks & feels like Word etc. and is just as trustworthy as any MS product (which is a topic in itself). That makes it an easy choice for beginners, schools, anyone who doesn't want to spend time investigating the options and their individual pros & cons, anyone who doesn't want to learn a new interface. This feeds into its upward popularity spiral. Not that there isn't value in a shorter start-up time; quick familiarity is a strong selling point.

Is DW better? Better enough to warrant spending the time getting to know it? There are arguments (some even persuasive) either way. But it's still up to the individual. Being a student, Scylla can probably afford the time to D/L the DW demo and get to know it, and then be in the best possible position to make a comparison and a decision (and Scylla, if you do that, please come back and let us know what you think!).

Oak Aged, Feb 24, 2006 IP
  8. cms

cms Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you should use Dreamweaver because it will use code so the page will look the same in all browsers. Frontpage makes pages mainly for Internet Explorer.

cms, Feb 24, 2006 IP
  9. Mitch

Mitch Guest

Best Answers:
    Depending on what you are doing, either would get the job done. Given the choices, I'd vote for dreamweaver, but you might also consider the eclipse platform, they have some neat things going on.

Mitch, Feb 24, 2006 IP
  10. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    FrontPage will also do that. As with DW, it will also keep track of which files need updating and any depndent files that may also need updating, and the files can be uploaded automatically from the same programs. That site management capability is why some people like DW and FP and similar programs.

minstrel, Feb 24, 2006 IP
  11. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Personally I have tried them all. DW is the best, IMO...BUT to maximize your functionality you MUST install FW (Fireworks) they work in harmony for many tasks like 'create web album', 'batch processing' or editing images directly from DW (right mouse>edit with FW).

Oh ya and also I absolutely love DW split screen (code and display view) which I highly recommend, always set your screen to split view.

DW rules for plug 'n play code writing but still p$ss#s me off sometimes with redundant tags and problems with proper code placement for <H1> tags...IMO.

Homer, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  12. kk22bbme

kk22bbme Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Frontpage....
    i used it as my learning guide///....in web world...
    i haven't yet used the Dreamweaver though.....

kk22bbme, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  13. SiteExpress

SiteExpress Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    FrontPage is a great way to start, if you dont know any html. It really does have an easy interface, and despite any additional stuff it places in html code, it still builds solid web sites, and makes it very easy for people just starting out to use.

Like others have netioned. If you are familiar with Microsoft Office, then Frontpage is simple to learn.

SiteExpress, Feb 25, 2006 IP
  14. DRA

DRA Peon

Best Answers:
    I love dreamweaver if i could...i would probably marry it lol

DRA, Feb 28, 2006 IP
  15. dfsweb

dfsweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver is slightly tougher to learn how to use (for most, impossible without a proper introduction from a pro), but once you figure out how to use it, you will see that it has many advanced features that make it worth the initial training. Dreamweaver rocks! (imo)

dfsweb, Feb 28, 2006 IP
  16. slickricky

slickricky Active Member

Best Answers:
    Forget both of them and use Homesite.

slickricky, Feb 28, 2006 IP
  17. Skaidon

Skaidon Peon

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver, easily.

Skaidon, Mar 5, 2006 IP
  18. TheException

TheException Banned

Best Answers:
    I've never liked Frontpage, but I've always loved Dreamweaver!

TheException, Mar 5, 2006 IP
  19. frankcow

frankcow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    FrontPage is garbage. Working on a site (in code) created by FrontPage is a nightmare

Dreamweaver is a solid tool, plenty of great features. I on'y use it along with notepad

frankcow, Mar 8, 2006 IP
  20. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    This is true! That's why I say you should use split screen view and have a basic understanding of html, that way you can trim the fat....redundant tags I find most irritating ;).

Despite the minor pitfalls of DW I will challenge any coder to keep up with me for basic html and Php :D.

Don't get me wrong, coders will always be needed and commissioned for more complexed coding, but I am shocked how much of this code DW can actually read/ understand :eek:.

Homer, Mar 8, 2006 IP