1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dreamweaver or Frontpage

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by glasshalffull, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    I remember Yahoo looking like that but never realised Google was so bad LOL

Anyway, I still use DW4, and only remember DW MX and DW MX 2004 coming out... so why we getting DW8 or did I miss something?

Why would anyone wanna u/g to DW8? <start-convincing>... ;)

Lever, Aug 17, 2005 IP
  2. iCreate

iCreate Guest

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver without a second of thought.

I started out on AOL's design thing. Can't remember what it was called but it did the job. I then went to Frontpage Express which was free with Windows. Next was Frontpage. During my time using Frontpage, I tried Dreamweaver. Basically, I started it, looked at the interface and how completley different it was. I couldn't actually comprehend it for some reason (this was YEARS ago) and went back to Frontpage. Then about a year later, I tried Dreamweaver again and I never left it since.

It is by far the better of the two. By FAR!

iCreate, Aug 18, 2005 IP
  3. programmer

programmer Guest

Best Answers:
    dreamweaver is always a perfessional's choice - its much better tool then FP.

programmer, Aug 19, 2005 IP
  4. JamieC

JamieC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver MX is the way to go if you are looking for WYSIWYG. However, it is getting pretty seriously dated now, and I have recently switched to a code editor called TSW Webcoder (google it). This does not have an editor, but you'll soon get used to it. Dreamweaver is great if you want to learn HTML and CSS, since it produces readable code and doesn't complain if you edit it manually.

Whatever you do, do not use Frontpage!!

JamieC, Aug 23, 2005 IP
  5. iCreate

iCreate Guest

Best Answers:
    I think JamieC covered it nicely but dont forget Jamie, Studio 8 out soon :D

iCreate, Aug 23, 2005 IP
  6. JamieC

JamieC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Looking forward to it mate - my student card is primed and ready for the educational discount!

JamieC, Aug 23, 2005 IP
  7. Trippen

Trippen Peon

Best Answers:
    Dremweaver is great for working on multiple sites. And DW8 is going to have zoom, great for tired old eyes. My vote for Dreamweaver.

Trippen, Aug 23, 2005 IP
  8. old1

old1 Guest

Best Answers:
    DW ruLez :D

grr they didnt put a trial yet for dw 8 :mad:

old1, Aug 23, 2005 IP
  9. iShopHQ

iShopHQ Peon

Best Answers:
    EditPlus....

I learned to code with Dreamweaver and now do everything by hand.

iShopHQ, Aug 24, 2005 IP
  10. starmonkey

starmonkey Peon

Best Answers:
    I learned 10 years ago with HotDog
    Then they changed it up and I didn't like it. Thankfully HotDog was a lot like Dreamweaver in the way you could switch from wysiwyg and plain text code. So I learned to hand code. I like Editpad for handcoding and use it everyday. I also use Dreamweaver everyday. I liked DW2, didn't care too much for 3, but have moved along with it since DW4. I use MX 2004 everyday at work.

I can spot a Frontpage site almost everytime I see one, I don't like them at all.

I've worked for many design companies and marketing firms and Dreamweaver is industry standard. Frontpage is more for the cheapo boss that piles things onto the secretary to do. I've always considered Frontpage to be amatuerish at best. Understanding markup language is your best bet, doesn't matter what tool you use as long as you understand what you're doing. The skills are transferrable, you just need to learn where the buttons are in different software packages. When the merger goes through between Adobe and Macromedia there will be one industry standard suite out there for professional design work. So it would be best to start learning Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and Flash if you haven't already. Those programs are mandatory immediate installs on any machine I have to use.

starmonkey, Aug 24, 2005 IP
    SEbasic likes this.
  11. richieg100

richieg100 Peon

Best Answers:
    Before you decide to use a program you must know what it does. I will describe both DreamWeaver and Front Page. I will then answer your question.

Microsoft Front Page
    Front Page is WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) program; meaning that you do not have access to the majority of the raw HTML code. Also, if your going to be using JavaScript, or more advanced languages such as PHP, Front Page is going to make it VERY difficult.

Macromidia DreamWeaver
    DreamWeaver is, in essence, the standard Web Design program. It is capeable of generating anything from basic HTML pages to .Net ASP documents. With it you can easily minipluate code, in both the design and code views. With the design view you can easily position basic elements and save a lot of time. While, with the code view you can focus on the more advanced code, such as CSS, Client Side Scripts (like JavaScript and VB Script), and Server Side Scripts (like PHP, ASP etc...). Dreamweaver also allows you to create Template files. With a Template you can easily change every single page of your site with just a few simple clicks! Dreamweaver MX is the way to go if your going to use it. You can buy it as part of Macromedia Studio MX (includes Flash MX, Fireworks MX, etc). It is expensive, however you can download a free trial, or in certain cases, request a free licence.

For What You Want to Do
    Though you are new to HTML i would suggest you use DreamWeaver MX. For one, you don't need to focus on the code just now, and you can use the design view (which is very similar to Front Page but better) However, as your site grows you will realise that you need to focus more on Dynamic content, which is easily created in DreamWeaver.

Also, you talked about a forum and shopping cart. Most web based programs like these require PHP (PHP Hypertext Preprocessor), a language that cannot be manipulated in Front Page (or any other WYSIWYG program). These programs also need to be executed on a testing server, which DreamWeaver automatically sets up for you.

In conclusion, for what you want to do, you bassically have no choice but to go with DreamWeaver, or a program like it (although DreamWeaver is probably the best.) In short, you can't accomplish what you want on Front Page, period.

Other Things You Will need:
    For your forums, shopping cart, and any other Server Side applications you wish to run, you will need a database. If your going to use PHP (which is the best for you) you are going to need a MySQL database. Your best bet to get all of this is to search for a paying host (you pay them).

Make sure that the host allows you to develope on Windows and host on whatever Operating System they use. NOTE: The only way to develope on Windows and host on another OS (Operating System) is a PHP + MySQL setup. MAKE SURE YOUR WEBHOST SUPPORTS THIS BEFORE YOU BUY A PLAN.

That's bassically it. If you need more info (or if I have confused you) just pm me.
    Hope i helped :)
    -Richie

richieg100, Aug 25, 2005 IP
    YianG likes this.
  12. davert

davert Banned

Best Answers:
    I'd like to point out one more option: nVu. It's free and can do a LOT of WYSIWYG design. nVu can be a great way to get started for FREE.

davert, Aug 29, 2005 IP
  13. iCreate

iCreate Guest

Best Answers:
    Damn you and your student 'educational' discount! Damn you to hades!

ok...i'm jelous! there, now you have it! :p

iCreate, Aug 30, 2005 IP
  14. cristophe@lawyer.com

cristophe@lawyer.com Guest

Best Answers:
    did everyone forget about using notepad? Ahhhh, to think back to the good ol' days.

cristophe@lawyer.com, Aug 30, 2005 IP
  15. starmonkey

starmonkey Peon

Best Answers:
    Did you read the whole thread?

starmonkey, Aug 30, 2005 IP
  16. cristophe@lawyer.com

cristophe@lawyer.com Guest

Best Answers:
    lol. yeah, I was like tornado of mouse clicks and keystrokes there :) duh on me.

cristophe@lawyer.com, Aug 30, 2005 IP
  17. wizardofx

wizardofx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Are there real alternatives to FP and DW? I am still
    using Hotmetal Pro 6, which I love, but they were
    bought out by Corel and died of atrophy.

What else is out there?

wizardofx, Sep 2, 2005 IP
  18. SixDeep

SixDeep Peon

Best Answers:
    dreamweaver. no question about it. anything that comes out of redmond washington doesnt really work for me imho...

SixDeep, Sep 3, 2005 IP
  19. digitx

digitx Guest

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver is the only option.

Front page adds nasty things to your code that you may not want

digitx, Sep 3, 2005 IP
  20. devAngel

devAngel Banned

Best Answers:
    dreamweaver all the way

devAngel, Sep 6, 2005 IP