1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dreaming to sell your domain for millions?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by keral82, Dec 11, 2005.

Each and everyday you hear stories about some name getting thousands of dollars from the buyer. You also jump right into the game of domaining and hope for that lucky day to arrive when someone might get interested in your domain name. Right?

The main problem with newbies over here is that they do very less research and start spending their money on useless names. After 6 months or a year their moral goes down the drain and they are back where they were but with lighter pockets then before.

Some people get into the trademark mess. They get sued by trademark holding company and then they show their temper openly on forums and other message boards.

Some can't even monetize their domains to get the renewal fees for the upcoming period.

If you have 4 or 5 domains then you can surely shed the amount from your own pocket. But when the figure goes around 100's and 1000's it is very hard to renew the domains for the future.

My advice to newbies would be to stick at 25 to 50 domains. They can earn for 10 or 20 renewals per year if your names are below average. Some domain might get you more revenue and it can fill the gap for you. Ultimately the main thing is to not lose a domain for nothing. You should at least get its registration fees from it. This will not start downfall of your domain empire which you want to build. 1 dollar loss is also a big loss if you have more then 100 or 500 domains in your domain portfolio.

So what kind of domains you should buy?

Choose wisely on which name you are putting your money. Three characters .com's are creating a lot of chaos right now in the market. Their prices goes sky high in domain name aftermarkets. Generic dictionary words are also long gone. New TLD's are not so stable right now, dot-com still rules the internet. You might get lucky in some other TLD's but I wouldn't advice you if you are new in the game.

4 letters have 456976 combinations from AAAA to ZZZZ. Of them only around 5000 are left. Which is of course the garbage.

What do we do now if we still want to get out feets wet in this?

Look for some guy who is willing to sell his domain for less. There are plenty of places to find this kind of domains available for sale at lower prices. You can go to forums specially created for this kind of discussions. If you don't know any then here is the one Nameslot.com Go there look for some domains which might fall under our category and then approach the seller. Here also lookout for trademark issues and blacklisting for that particular domain. You can generally get this info from doing a whois search for that domain here http://www.whois.sc

Keep your eyes and ears open for latest news. It might shed some light and you might be the lucky one who grabs that name for just registration fees and sell it for 1000's. Work on them and get every cent out of them. This will keep you in the game. The main thing over here is not to win the game but to be in it and be till the last.

For more tips and info logon to Nameslot.com

© 2005 Nameslot.com

keral82, Dec 11, 2005 IP
  2. amitpatel_3001

amitpatel_3001 Results Follow Patience

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the Good Information.

Joined Your Forum.

Its Just superb no other words Left.

Good information given in your Forum.

amitpatel_3001, Dec 11, 2005 IP
  3. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Great post Nameslot.

Shame I red repped you earlier for that awful 'Cheating Thread' :rolleyes:

mcfox, Dec 11, 2005 IP
  4. keral82

keral82 Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah I know someone red repped me on that pole and someone is red repping me on every post that he or she sees. Thanks.

keral82, Dec 11, 2005 IP
  5. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    I find the whole domain name speculation business amusing. Real value in domains is built not pulled from a dictionary. I continue to be astounded by the prices being banted about for generic phrase/word domain names. A three letter domain is not of any real value if it is not usuable. Yet people will pay for it.

I think a substantial part of the market are domain resellers selling domains to each other. Yet there still has to be a significant enough base of people overpaying for domains to sustain the whole thing.

If I were in the domain speculation business I think I would be working hard to keep my self as liquid as possible. Go in for a quick by and sell. At some point i see the whole market collapsing when people wise up.

Just as I always suggest.. I was around before there ever was a google. I can assure you the domain name google.com had zero value in 1994. How much is it worth now? yet it is not a 4 letter word, a 3 letter word or anything else. Google was not even a word until google made it one.

If DigitalPoint did not exist as it is today, people would say the domain is worth $20.00 Yet it clearly has a significantly greater value than that.

With a little basic creativity you can make your own domain and create your own value. In the scheme of having a succesful website the domain name is a ridiculously small fraction of the equation.

Look at all the hype for business.com. 7.5 million dollars? I think business.com is a stupid domain name. What does it mean? People say hmm. I want to know about business! and they type in business.com? Maybe some extremely dumb people, but most people are not going to do that.

Just to be clear, I hold no grudge or ill-will to domain speculators. Clearly there is significant money to be made. Just to count on that train lasting forever, because the true value of the letters that make up a domain are fairly limited. With that underlying real value not being there, it can't last forever.

aeiouy, Dec 11, 2005 IP
    iskandar and Dio like this.
  6. keral82

keral82 Banned

Best Answers:
    Nice response aeiouy Thanks for it.

keral82, Dec 12, 2005 IP
  7. mark1

mark1 Peon

Best Answers:
    In the end - the value of a domain name is whatever the company/individual makes of it...

other examples:
    and a whole host of other top ranking websites...

On that line of thinking - it's all about creating a brand - an effective internet brand that appeals to the masses.

mark1, Dec 12, 2005 IP
  8. keral82

keral82 Banned

Best Answers:
    He He He. It requires money to create a brand. And who will invest millions and then sell the name. We are talking about selling a $5 name for millions not investing in it and then selling it. Please don't spoil this thread.

keral82, Dec 12, 2005 IP
  9. naqiboy

naqiboy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    how true nameslot.....great content.

naqiboy, Dec 12, 2005 IP
  10. ManXP

ManXP Peon

Best Answers:
    Hm, this guy got banned?

Anyways, nice reading!

ManXP, Dec 14, 2005 IP
  11. amitpatel_3001

amitpatel_3001 Results Follow Patience

Best Answers:
    HE WAS BANNED,

NOW HE IS BACK AGAIN.

WITH ID- nameslot.

amitpatel_3001, Dec 14, 2005 IP
  12. Raiko

Raiko Member

Best Answers:
    The Google argument is baseless. The name itself has zero intrinsic value. If you took away Google's business and the traffic the domain would be essentially worthless. I think you are missing the point with regard to monetization of domains. Sure, a person can spend a lot of time and money branding a wacky domain (yahoo, ebay etc.) to add value but that value is contingent upon both the underlying business and the traffic and not really the domain. However, you used the example of Business.com and it makes sense that most people would not type that into their address bar on a whim so that domain is one that really does need branded. However, Furniture.com, Trucks.com, Mexico.com, Travel.com etc. all have intrinsic value and probably receive large amounts of traffic just from address bar type-ins. Those that own these domains don't make "a little" money with them - they make SERIOUS money with them. Even a very small niche type-in domain can make very good money. Sure, Loans.com is obviously valuable but what about MortgageLoans.com or VALoans.com. These domains more than likely receive type in traffic as well, and at $6-$12 a click from a link page set up on the domain, quite a significant amount of money can be made with very little effort.

Also, with regard to the large amounts of money being spent on some domains, it makes financial sense many times. I may have a domain that gets some type-ins each day, but, as a small player I may only get 25% of the total click value each time someone clicks a link on my domains landing page. That's because I have to split the click revenue with a middleman and Google. When I look at buying a domain I may willingly pay 3 years revenue for that domain. If it makes $50 a month then I will pay up to $1800 for that domain. However, a big player may have enough traffic to go straight to Google and work out a deal with them where they get 60-80% of the total click revenue. Obviously that person can outbid me for most any domain on the market because he can recoup his investment far quicker that I can. So, many people feel that some buyers are paying way more than a domain is worth - maybe 10 years revenue. Sure, that's ten years of MY revenue that they will give me for my domain. I make $50 a month so they'll give me $1800. Then they laugh all the way to the bank because with their Google deal they can make 3-4 times that or more. It doesn't take them 10 years to pay off the domain even though it appears that that is the case and that they are overpaying. If I were in their position I would be "overpaying" for every quality domain I could get my hands on as well.

Raiko, Dec 15, 2005 IP
  13. Fahd

Fahd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nope, I passed on it! ;)

To be honest, I didn't think the article was particularly enlightening. Glad to know there are others who found it useful. :)

Fahd, Dec 17, 2005 IP