1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dreamhost security problems: Wordpress sites hacked

Discussion in 'Security' started by minstrel, Jun 6, 2007.

Unsettling
    Dave Shea's Mezzoblue
    Wed, Jun 6 2007

minstrel, Jun 6, 2007 IP
  2. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    OUCH. Sucks for them, I know wordpress had some vulns in older versions, I hope this isn't a wordpress problem. (Although it sounds like a DH problem, more likely.)

nddb, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  3. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Dreamhost is also having problems with other scripts being hacked, e.g., phpLD. There's another thread about this in the Directories forum here at DP.

minstrel, Jun 11, 2007 IP
  4. InFloW

InFloW Peon

Best Answers:
    Well this was a compromise of a bunch of accounts. Now dreamhost cannot protect people from poorly made scripts getting exploited. There are tools to block some exploits on scripts but generally it's the persons responsibility to keep things secure on their site script wise. So basically any web host can have trouble with customer scripts like wordpress phpld being exploited.

InFloW, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  5. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Would you care to explain what's insecure about Wordpress? And why only Dreamhost seems to be having this problem with Wordpress?

minstrel, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  6. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    The fact that FTP passwords were taken, preeeetty much proves it wasn't a wordpress problem.

nddb, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  7. InFloW

InFloW Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep it does

My point was the comment about phpLD having problems to about being exploited. If you do not update your scripts your host cannot save you from being exploited.

So this dreamhost problem has nothing to do with wordpress, phpld or any script at all. I could have a generic index.html and have the code inserted to when the bad guy has access to my ftp.

So your site gets exploited you're on dream host it may very well not have anything to do with the ftp hacking but your scripts being exploited.

InFloW, Jun 13, 2007 IP
  8. minstrel

Best Answers:
    Whuch brings us full circle: It's not a Wordpress problem and it's not a phpLD problem. It's a Dreamhost problem.

Call a spade a spade.

And this is on top of them asking cutomers to bar search engine bots from spidering their websites because they oversold their bandwidth.

This is NOT a professional hosting service, any way you slice it.

minstrel, Jun 13, 2007 IP