1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dreamhost outage, 12+ hours now :(

Discussion in 'Outages' started by dshah, Jul 15, 2006.

1. KIG

KIG Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    hey, i thought dreamhost was good at first but now i'm starting to think the opposite direction. Maybe my site is getting larger so it is casuing problems but during the 3 months i'm with dreamhost my site has been down on average once a week. but today was the %@!@ing longest. I'm loosing 50+ bucks in potential income. so i'm not to happy, i guess i will have to look at other plans to offer.

KIG, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  2. dshah

dshah Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just checked their blog at www.dreamhoststatus.com. Since I didn't had much to do (as control panel was not accessible) I took sometime to browse through it.

What is amazing is, they have something or other down almost every (or every other) day! Just browse through their blog and you will see. I didn't go further than last three months. All the time I was thinking may be they had bad week or be two..but no it goes back till all the way back that they are having problem very very fequently!

I have been with them for last few months and I haven't had much complaints so far. In fact I found that their servers response time is fastestI have so far seen.

But it really hurts when one is loosing revenue, I have lost almost upto 100-200$ because of their downtime.

There is always argument that for such a cheap hosting what else can you expect, well I would at least expect that they put this statement on their site so I wouldn't have signed up with them.

I am not going to jump the ship right away, but if that happens again then its concern.

dshah, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  3. KIG

KIG Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    dshah are you with any other host? which would you recommend?

KIG, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  4. dshah

dshah Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am with Site5 and I think I can recommend their services in general. They aren't upto 99% uptime etc either, but I think they are good.

dshah, Jul 17, 2006 IP
  5. rayd8

rayd8 Peon

Best Answers:
    Unbelievable. These guys have some serious problems. I asked for an update since all of my sites hosted with them are down and received a brief reply that they are having filer problems and they're working on it. The same thing they've been saying FOR THREE DAYS.

Stay away from these guys if you have a revenue generating site or want one.

rayd8, Jul 18, 2006 IP
  6. ash1

ash1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i got an outage for about 6 hours on July 17th

ash1, Jul 18, 2006 IP
  7. rayd8

rayd8 Peon

Best Answers:
    I've had several 6 hour outages with them since I opened an account in January. I've opened an account with BlueHost and plan to open one with HostGator as well.

rayd8, Jul 18, 2006 IP
  8. rzoned

rzoned Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    my site was down for almost 12 hour on previous shortage
    any other good hosting company other than dreamhost?

rzoned, Jul 18, 2006 IP
  9. jeremy860

jeremy860 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    my websites were down most of the afternoon, I lost alot of revenue today because of it. I have already started transfering my sites to my VPS at ServINT.

I just cant afford to be loosing money because of them

jeremy860, Jul 18, 2006 IP
  10. ash1

ash1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i heard hostgator is similar to dreamhost, and the other big one i think called site5 is really bad

ash1, Jul 18, 2006 IP
  11. dshah

dshah Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am with site5 (for the exact same period as dreamhost) and they hadn't had any such outage.

Their support system is bit weired, if you reply to your own ticket, it gets pushed back in the queue. I had LONG response time due to this once (they told me later about this thing).

dshah, Jul 18, 2006 IP
  12. Correctus

Correctus Straight Edge

Best Answers:
    I must say Dreamhost support is excellent even when their services arent up to the mark but at least they provide you with a lot of space on VERY cheap rates, probably the cheapest, and always try to keep up with your demands and try to avoid any invconveniences.

IT

Correctus, Jul 19, 2006 IP
  13. rayd8

rayd8 Peon

Best Answers:
    These clowns are unbelievable. My sites were up briefly between 4:30am and 6:00am and they're unreachable again. The Dreamhost status site says that they are still having filer problems and it keeps crashing.

If you have a revenue generating site or plan to start one do not use Dreamhost. New Name: NightmareHost!

rayd8, Jul 19, 2006 IP
  14. dshah

dshah Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, same thing happened to me.

One thing very important I have noticed. When my sites were not reachabe, I waited and waited then finally I submitted a support ticket (replied to previous support ticket email - as their control panel was down) and within minutes my sites were up and running...FAST.

This has happened twice so far, so hint is dont wait if your sites are down...just write to them with your server name, hopefully then can fix up right away.

By the way, meanwhile I signed with Asamllorange on monthly plan, will move revenue sensitive sites till dreamhost recovers and gets stable.

dshah, Jul 19, 2006 IP
  15. Blackbeard

Blackbeard Active Member

Best Answers:
    Luckily the only site that's down is my test ppc affiliate site which I don't really have much traffic on. However, if this contines I'm going to be quite upset.

Blackbeard, Jul 19, 2006 IP
  16. rayd8

rayd8 Peon

Best Answers:
    Forget the support ticket, when my sites have been coming back up I'm backing them up a little a time so I can move them. I am so done with NightmareHost. They've lost me money the past four days.

rayd8, Jul 19, 2006 IP
  17. UnderEstimated

UnderEstimated Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    it was back up in like 6 hours but its kinda slow now servr load is up rite now :(

UnderEstimated, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  18. Namesniper

Namesniper Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Usualy i hear positive things about Dreamhost but what a mess,4 days of downtime could cost anyone abusiness.

Namesniper, Jul 23, 2006 IP
  19. klingerrr

klingerrr Peon

Best Answers:
    can anybody recommend a host w/out problems?

klingerrr, Jul 25, 2006 IP
  20. xboxundone

xboxundone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

*LOL* good luck all hosts have problems... just depends on severity.

xboxundone, Jul 25, 2006 IP