1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dreamhost? Any good?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by NewMusicMonthly, Apr 15, 2009.

1. micksss

micksss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    They remind me of godaddy in some ways. I don't like their control panel either.

micksss, May 8, 2009 IP
  2. daremkd

daremkd Peon

Best Answers:
    thye arent bad for VPS but not 2 sure about shared shoting cp inst that bad either

daremkd, May 8, 2009 IP
  3. Blogspotter

Blogspotter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Their control panel is really good for newbies who wants to create mini wordpress sites or even bloggers who just want to run a blog and it helps that it can support upto 20K pageviews on a simple wordpress blog with the necessary plugins.. Too many plugins could kill though..

Blogspotter, May 8, 2009 IP
  4. naveenkumar

naveenkumar Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you have lot of websites with very less page views you can use DreamHost, but once they reach higher and started using resources, you will get mail to purchase VPS. I had bad experience with DreamHost with a single site made in Drupal with only 400 page views. They said it is using huge MySQL resources. I don't know how. I had to move it.

naveenkumar, May 9, 2009 IP
  5. relixx

relixx Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, that's the catch, isn't it. It's like saying, "Here, have all the cake you can eat!" but then quickly stopping you when you start to eat because the bakeries have suddenly become very busy, and then pester you to buy part of a bakery at much higher costs. What utter BS.

Once you upgrade to a VPS they'll probably STILL say that you're using too many server resources.

relixx, May 9, 2009 IP
  6. starfall87

starfall87 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with everyone who told you to avoid Dreamhost. They oversell their resources ("Unlimited + 50GB" disk space?!?!, "Unlimited" bandwidth). They seem to be trying to attract the person who just wants a site and knows little about what he needs. Advanced users wanting to make websites with the opportunity to grow should really look elsewhere.

Caveat emptor!

starfall87, May 10, 2009 IP
  7. Ichigo91

Ichigo91 Guest

Best Answers:
    Dreamhost is a joke!

They always have coupons so that you can get hosting for $10 only... its mentioned for example that the end date of this special price is the next day, but guess what? the next day they change the date to the day after...

Pretty pathetic huh?

You might want to check it out for yourself http://dreamhost.com/

Ichigo91, May 11, 2009 IP
  8. korr

korr Peon

Best Answers:
    Its just $50 off now, but they'll also donate $50 to save the Tasmanian Devils :p

I dunno, I run some small sites on Dreamhost and its extremely convenient. Bigger sites need a VPS or heavy optimization, but for dirt cheap, the shared hosting does what I'd expect...

korr, May 11, 2009 IP
  9. micksss

micksss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If it's for the Tasmanian Devils then OK ;)

micksss, May 11, 2009 IP
  10. yah0m

yah0m Peon

Best Answers:
    I've never liked DH. They have poor ethics if anyone has seen their blog.

yah0m, May 11, 2009 IP