1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dreamhost? Any good?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by NewMusicMonthly, Apr 15, 2009.

Just seen the 777 promotional offer from Dreamhost & wondering if they are good? Any recommendations or horror stories?

Thanks!

NewMusicMonthly, Apr 15, 2009 IP
  2. vishenda

vishenda Peon

Best Answers:
    almost all hosting services have issues

vishenda, Apr 16, 2009 IP
  3. micksss

micksss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well if it's free for a year you can try them out and if you don't like it you didn't have to pay anything :) I personally don't like their control panel.

micksss, Apr 16, 2009 IP
  4. CrumX

CrumX Banned

Best Answers:
    Dreamhost is the worst dream you can ever have. If you are looking for a hosting to host ur growing community or web then better dont..

CrumX, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  5. truivia

truivia Active Member

Best Answers:
    I myself have not tried them, but have read some pretty harsh things about them.

truivia, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  6. CrumX

CrumX Banned

Best Answers:
    It's lucky you never use em b4.. It's has been my worse nightmare..

CrumX, Apr 17, 2009 IP
  7. ubuntu2006

ubuntu2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have used Dreamhost shared hosting for about a year and had mixed views on it. Mostly my experience has not been bad, but the times you need support it sucks having to send in a ticket and wait a day or longer for a response. Also the response of their shared hosting server was a tad on the slow side. For shared hosting the most responsive service I have used is Bluehost, but they put low hard cap on your usage and your site will freeze intermittenly throughout the day depending on your usage. Hostgator is similar to Dreamhost but offers better support - can call them 24/7 and reach a live person.

I eventually moved over to Dreamhost PS and so far no complaints except price runs on the high side.

ubuntu2006, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  8. micksss

micksss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Is PS their version of a VPS or dedicated hosting?

micksss, Apr 29, 2009 IP
  9. SSANZ

SSANZ Peon

Best Answers:
    My clients have only had bad experiences with dreamhosts, ive had a few move onto my systems and heard them complaining about dreamhosts lack of support.

SSANZ, Apr 30, 2009 IP
  10. BE-COOL

BE-COOL Peon

Best Answers:
    I was also thinking to move my forum from byethost to dreamhost, since it's now only $9.24 for one year hosting, well I guess we always get what we pay for...

Cheers.

BE-COOL, May 1, 2009 IP
  11. logbob

logbob Peon

Best Answers:
    No, i used to deal with them, and there garbage, I wouldent go with them. There is so many way better hosts, i reccomend cirtex personaly, they are pretty good, reliable service and good support.

logbob, May 1, 2009 IP
  12. WinterWind

WinterWind Peon

Best Answers:
    My site was hosted on Dreamhost for over two years without other hassle that phpMYAdmin being broken over from time to time.

WinterWind, May 1, 2009 IP
  13. micksss

micksss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Did you decide if you are going with them or not because it says on their site regarding the 777 promo (Hurry, sale ends 5/1/2009!)...

micksss, May 1, 2009 IP
    Blogspotter likes this.
  14. Blogspotter

Blogspotter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I currently have two dreamhost account. One one of the account I have a wordpress blog with 8 thousand Uniques and 17 thousand pageviews a day.. I never bothered to move it to my Liquidweb because it is still working and I didn't want to disturb it, having to move registration etc.

I haven't heard good things about their PS and they keep offering discounts but I haven't yet moved because I heard their P breaks with some plugins..

But by far it is the best shared hosting... I am using Hostgator also for their cheaper Unique IPs for creating multiple niche sites.. But nothing beats dreamhost for beginners who wants a shared host.

18 K pageviews every day...

And they will happily move you to another server if you feel ur current server is slow.

BTW this 777 offer is a steal... It is like one year of free hosting since the price you pay is for a domain..

Blogspotter, May 1, 2009 IP
  15. micksss

micksss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I guess it says the deal is expiring at the end of each day because today it says, (Hurry, sale ends 5/2/2009!) It's a bit deceiving but probably works well to get people to sign up as think time is running out on the deal.

micksss, May 2, 2009 IP
  16. Swaggar

Swaggar Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hostgator is my fav

Swaggar, May 3, 2009 IP
  17. jallikatu

jallikatu Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreed. I am a victim.:) Should try moving the domain to some other account.

jallikatu, May 3, 2009 IP
  18. relixx

relixx Active Member

Best Answers:
    If a company will use deceiving tactics like that, then what else are they willing to deceive you with? In short, don't use Dreamhost!

relixx, May 8, 2009 IP
  19. jallikatu

jallikatu Peon

Best Answers:
    But when someone offers domain plus a years hosting for less than 10 dollars it is tempting......Hard to resist.

jallikatu, May 8, 2009 IP
  20. relixx

relixx Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, it is. I'd still want to have full control over the domain though, in case I need to move to another host quicky :/ I've used them before and I do NOT like how they did things.

relixx, May 8, 2009 IP