1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Drawing With Word????? Is our teacher stupid?

Discussion in 'Photoshop' started by odin93, May 31, 2007.

Our teacher is making us draw a truck with ms word. So ofcourse i am complaining to him, that why doesnt he get tools like photoshop or something like that. So then he says to me " what would you do if someone hired you to design a poster", so ofcourse i told him the reasonable thing " I would not use word i would use an adobe product." Then he seemed stumbled by that, so then he answered to me " Lines are lines and it doesnt matter what program you use." And tehn he briskly walked away, so yes our teacher is stupid to when it comes to graphics.

odin93, May 31, 2007 IP
  2. Mirage

Mirage Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, he is either stupid or a genius...

A classic teaching technique to develop superior skills is to take away the normal tools and force you to have to reach way beyond your normal way of thinking and creating. The idea being that when you return to the tools you are used to you will not be so "confined" by the tools themselves. You have the ability to think "out of the box" (I am beginning to hate that phrase).

Of course...he might just be a pompous fool as well...I cannot say since I do not know him...

Mirage, May 31, 2007 IP
  3. darrens

darrens Peon

Best Answers:
    tell your teacher that if you took a file of a 'poster' to a printing company in the format of word they would laugh at you ... word is a 'word processor' and used to type letters etc ... word also work in RGB format ... any design should always be created in CMYK ... This is a color profile that all printing presses all over the word use !

Use photoshop or illistrator to draw images/color ... then use quark express to create the document ... there are other softwares you can use but photoshot, illistrator and quark are like the industry standard !

tell your teacher he needs to take a course in graphic design !

darrens, May 31, 2007 IP
  4. odin93

odin93 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes thnx i am not the only one that thinks that this is stupid, because instead of drawing in word and wasting my time, i could be learning photoshop and illustrator skills that would get me farther.

odin93, May 31, 2007 IP
  5. Mooseman

Mooseman Peon

Best Answers:
    lol how old is he? from 19th century? :eek:

Mooseman, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  6. Tiggi

Tiggi Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is hard for me to believe that might be true :eek:

Word is a text editor. Period.
    Adobe graphic software is a graphics editor. Period.
    This teacher is insane. Period.:D

Tiggi, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  7. shuttle

shuttle Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, you can use word to draw plain sketches and stuff but it's definitely not the right tool for that. Maybe the teacher has a bigger idea in mind by asking you to use word. If not he's a complete retard.

shuttle, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  8. mac_crazy

mac_crazy Peon

Best Answers:
    If the teacher was really a genius, he would have given the answer that Mirage suggested, whether the teacher really meant it or not! But at least he would have looked like he knew what he was doing!

Back in HS art class, before computers, we had a project where where we had to copy a drawing, but do it left-handed (assuming you were right-handed), simply to teach us to think differenly. But at least we were told this up front! I'm thinkin that your teacher is just ill-informed.

My new t-shirt:

"Friends Don't Let Friends Design In MS Word"

mac_crazy, Jun 1, 2007 IP
    jmul7 likes this.
  9. diarmuid

diarmuid Peon

Best Answers:
    Funny as it may seem, I'm sure that we had to draw in word as well, at some point. I think it might even be a specification, that you have to be able to fluently use the line drawing tool, in order to pass ECDL (European Computer Driving License) Though, that whole thing is rather ridiculous in my opinion.

diarmuid, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  10. jmul7

jmul7 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't remember that... Although I did it 6 years ago...

jmul7, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  11. Mirage

Mirage Active Member

Best Answers:
    That was my take on it as well....

Oh...and I like the T-Shirt idea.....

Mirage, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  12. odin93

odin93 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes never really thought about it in that way, but still he seemed preatty stupid when he said it.

odin93, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  13. FOX LORE

FOX LORE Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So True. My math teacher would let anybody use a calculator during a test. He wanted us to do the thinking and calculating with our minds. :mad:

FOX LORE, Jun 1, 2007 IP
  14. Mirage

Mirage Active Member

Best Answers:
    Of course there is another important item to consider here as well...

One of the basics of any good class is to have clearly defined goals and objectives.

Let's assume for just a moment that the instructor is a genius (just for sake of argument)...

If the goal of the class is to give people an immediately usable skill (such as in an Adobe product), then his approach is all wrong.

If the goal of the class is to turn out the best graphic artist possible, then the tool should matter far less than the base level skills acquired, and that does not require the use of an Adobe (or other leading) product.

So even if the guy is a "master teacher," if he has not made it clear what he is trying to teach the students then there is a problem. Someone who just wants to get a job that has as its requirement "know adobe products" just needs to spend time with the products.

Yes, from the discussion thus far I think the guy was probably just not that good (though one never knows for sure...we all make dumb comments at certain points during any given day), but I just wanted to point out that dissatisfaction in the course could come from a gross mismatch of objectives between the course developer/Instructor and the student. That is usually (in my opinion) a problem on the course designer/instructor's part rather than the student's part.

Just more ramblings on my part...

Mirage, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  15. odin93

odin93 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, i tottaly agre with your opinion mirage, but another factor is that our school is too poor to even buy adobe.

odin93, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  16. raredev

raredev Peon

Best Answers:
    the teacher didn't know adobe? doesn't mean that he/she's stupid/insane.
    you know? doesn't mean that you're genius either.
    everybody learn through their life. so, are you better? still doesn't give a right to look others down.
    well, just my 2c.

raredev, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  17. diarmuid

diarmuid Peon

Best Answers:
    If your school is too poor to buy adobe, then why doesn't it just download Gimp? Its open source, which means that it is free and there shouldn't be any problem using it at school. Its as good as if not even better than any adobe product.;)

Might be something worth looking into.

diarmuid, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  18. Turpentine

Turpentine Guest

Best Answers:
    schools are filled with people who don't want to do any work they don't have to. This isn't because they are lazy as much as they have to do so much work just to have that job. Doing stupid and pointless assessments, grading papers, etc. The Gimp is cool, but most schools can get good software through grants. My school got 30 or so licenses for macromedia studio from a grant last year. It's a school with 50 kids per class, so 30 licenses was enough.

Turpentine, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  19. J0ker

J0ker Peon

Best Answers:
    I have had teachers pull this same move on me. The funny part of it being, they were "Computer Art" teachers. How pathetic is that?

J0ker, Jun 2, 2007 IP
  20. mac_crazy

mac_crazy Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with the notion that good graphic design does not come from the tools you use... BUT, I still can't find a good reason (aside from financial, I suppose) that a design instructor would teach students to use MS Word to create design work, when the industry worldwide uses numerous other design-based software.

I'd no sooner accept his reasoning than I would accept an Accounting professor telling me I should use Photoshop to create spreadsheets and databases. Why not teach the students to use the software that they will (should) use in the real world?

mac_crazy, Jun 3, 2007 IP