1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DrawGameScreen function not executing

Discussion in 'JavaScript' started by mandyq, Dec 8, 2020.

Hello,
    I made my first javascript game and I'm hopping to get some help here to fix some problems in the program please.

This is my code: https://codepen.io/mandyq/project/editor/XYndRv

When I load the page, the DrawGameScreen funtion is not executing and I have to refresh the page once so the DrawGameScreen funtion to execute. Much appreciated for some help to fix this. Thank you.

mandyq, Dec 8, 2020 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    What are we supposed to see? I saw a countdown and then the number 1000 on the first load. Same on the second load.

qwikad.com, Dec 8, 2020 IP
  3. mandyq

mandyq Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for getting back to me!
    The number 1000 is supposed to go down as the monkey overlaps with the rocks. But the number 1000 goes down only on second load. My question is that how I could have the number 1000 to go down on first load.
    Thank you so much!

mandyq, Dec 14, 2020 IP
  4. mandyq

mandyq Peon

Best Answers:
    I put the game on the school server : http://mylinux.langara.bc.ca/~qlai02/js-project/survival/spaceMonkey.html

mandyq, Dec 14, 2020 IP
  5. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    1000 doesn't go down on the 2d, 3d, etc. loads. I am viewing it on Chrome. What browser are you using?

qwikad.com, Dec 14, 2020 IP
  6. mandyq

mandyq Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm using Chrome as well. Were you opening the program through this URL? http://mylinux.langara.bc.ca/~qlai02/js-project/survival/spaceMonkey.html
    Mine does down after 2nd load. So strange.

mandyq, Dec 14, 2020 IP
  7. mandyq

mandyq Peon

Best Answers:
    So strange. Don't know how to fix this... =(

mandyq, Dec 14, 2020 IP
  8. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    It's working on the second load. Sorry, I didn't wait long enough. So, yes, it does start the countdown on the second load.

qwikad.com, Dec 14, 2020 IP
  9. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You've got a lot of silly/pointless code in there... like the id="body" and getElementById of it when you could just say "document.body" and skip that extra junk. Or the "variables for nothing" that waste memory allocations when you could just return the values. The use of "if" where if a case is true you should exit via return or use SWITCH/CASE.

Much less all the process wasting "let"

The real problem though is I quite literally see no entry vector in the scripting for this to actually do... anything other than the keyboard handler. Where does this actually hook any of these functions to actually do... whatever it is you're trying to do?!?

Oh, well there's your problem. You're doing the onload in the markup where the canvas and other things might not even exist yet. Big tip, 99.99% of the time you see "onEvent" style attributes in the markup, it's wrong. Utter and total junk.

Put window.addEventListener('load') in the JS instead of the markup. Hell, you probably don't even need the setTimeout that's in your onLoad function.

That said, seriously:

// not a class, don't start with UC letter!
    function getRandomInteger(a, b) {
    	return Math.floor((Math.abs(a - b) + Math.min(a, b)) * Math.random());
    }  // getRandomInteger

Code (markup):

var mKeys = {
    	'ArrowUp' : false,
    	'ArrowDown' : false,
    	'ArrowLeft' : false,
    	'ArrowRight' : false
    };

document.body.addEventListener("keydown", function (event) {
    	if (event.key in mKeys) mKeys[event.key] = true;
    });

document.body.addEventListener("keyup", function (event) {
    	if (event.key in mKeys) mKeys[event.key] = false;
    });

Code (markup):
    And seriously, do NOT use innerHTML. It will drag performance into the ninth ring of hell... and stop making "variables for nothing".

function OutputCounter() {
      document.getElementById("counter").textContent = counter;
    }

Code (markup):
    that could probably be even more performant if you stopped doing "getElementBy" each and every blasted time and just grabbed said element from the start.

That said, and as much as I dislike the derpy pointless let/const garbage and people putting "let" on every joe-blasted line instead of comma delimiting, it's really nice and refrhesing to see some code that's well formatted and not riddled to death with cryptic hard to decipher variables names. Those are some good formatting and naming conventions above/beyond the schlock most people vomit up.

You just need to tune out some redundancies and pointless and/or outdated bits of code. Kind of funny to see such a mix of bleeding edge nothingness with outdated techniques.

deathshadow, Dec 15, 2020 IP