1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DP not a Writers Heaven!!!!!

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Gheat, Mar 12, 2008.

1. SeattleCPA

SeattleCPA Peon

Best Answers:
    Boy, that really surprises me. As a publisher, you're looking to sell, maybe, 15,000 copies. Oh, sure, it'd be great if as publisher you can sell 50,000 copies... and that'll probably put your book onto the NY Times bestseller list at the right time of the year... but selling 15,000 copies means the book makes the publisher money.

So here you've got an author who can every day pitch his book to 50,000 people? Potential readers in his niche? Yikes. Those editors should be crawling all over that guy. (Note: Book publishers see book reviews in niche-y 50,000 circulation periodicals as really valuable... such a review can sell 1000 copies all on its own..)

Semi-on-topic point: The only reason that Julie Andrews (aka Mary Poppins), Jerry Seinfeld's wife, Jame Lee Curtis, etc., can successfully sell book deals to publishers isn't great writing skills. It's the ability to promote the book. This guy should have the same firepower.

But now I'm rambling. Sorry.

SeattleCPA, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  2. chant

chant Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No problem, I was just sharing a story that I had been told. I know breaking into the print market can be rough. Another thing that I remember from the story was that the editors wanted to know if the person had ideas for book number two and three, which always surprised me that they would be thinking that far ahead when they don't even know if book one will find a market or not.

chant, Mar 20, 2008 IP
  3. LadyHoldem

LadyHoldem Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If book number one flops, no biggie, don't buy book number two... but if book number one is a hit, then you know in advance that your guy isn't a one 'book' wonder? I'm just guessing here, I've never written a book :p

LadyHoldem, Mar 21, 2008 IP
  4. SeattleCPA

SeattleCPA Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey, you know what? I absolutely believe you that some book publishing company's acquisition editor said this... I just find it so darn ignorant for the publisher/acquisition editor to not see that somebody with a built in audience brings a heck of a lot to the party.

Also, BTW, you're absolutely right about follow-on books... Dan Gookin's DOS for Dummies was a monster best-seller... but it was the follow-up titles (both for Dan and other writers) that made the publisher an "overnight success"...

SeattleCPA, Mar 21, 2008 IP