1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DP Directory Owner Members where are they now !

Discussion in 'Directories' started by britishguy, Oct 22, 2007.

?

Which would you Prefer in the DP Directory Category

1. That the category is beneficial to all POSTERS

69.9%
  2. That the category IS TAKEN OVER BY TROLLS

30.1%
  1. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Those whom where affected are trying to get back thier rankings needless to say..
    PR comes and goes no love loss their, as they should be chasing the most relevant
    category or niche orientated directories for best results.

Trolls are very useful pets to its masters...

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  2. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you are under the illusion that most established directories are not making money then you are misinformed. I had a directory that was making over $600 a month with around 3% of it's traffic coming from Google. It is possible that the 'bad press' has hurt revenue a bit but all you have to do it check the 'recent links' section of some directories and you will see they are not hurting too badly. Not everyone buys into the doomsday hype, actually very few do.

jg123, Oct 23, 2007 IP
    mikey1090 likes this.
  3. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    Then apology is in order from me and speculating on whether PHX was being truthful...
    thx for clarifying that and i hope that he recovers very soon and is back in the game.
    I believe you to be a credible source so .... no more rumors and lets all hope for kevs speedy recovery

thx
    malcolm

4. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Lol. Should that be the same as in the post communist era ?

Everything is fine. The walls are there and the peeps are in their happy shape. :D

Anyone who does not follow the rules will be exterminated. :D

popotalk, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  5. LakeCountry

LakeCountry Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This may be but why don't you also admit that you don't really know what's going on any more than the rest. Come on now be honest. Everything you espouse is only YOUR opinion with no factual information to back it up.Just like those that say things will return to normal soon is just an opinion nothing more.:rolleyes:

LakeCountry, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  6. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Much use of intellectual snobbery to try and put people in their place, but no one can or will be able to give an answer other than google, because only the search engine company knows what their doing and nobody outside of it will speak of that.

Most of the employees of google wont know half of the time as theres no reason for them to.

Currently you have a number of people, educated to be conditioned to only accept a particular way of thinking and who attack and destroy in a verbal way when really they know not an ounce more than the rest of you.

Every single person telling you that your directories are junk and that owns one themselves is being embarrasingly self righteous as its painting a picture of them being outside of what may/may not be happening.

Anyone who has attacked you as a directory owner so far cannot give an ounce of useful information as their most likely feeding for information themselves, some are just getting kicks from seeing other people suffer (never been able to digest that myself) see after this you will probably see the story move onto paid blog posts and other things, the same people will pop up to attack and destroy verbally.

Ask the self proclaimed experts for an answer, they can never provide one.

To say that you know what the problem is or even more hilariously, the answer, is delusional.

pipes, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  7. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    np malcolm ... i'm sure kevin will recover but please do keep him in mind in your prayers.
    :eek:

LaCabra, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  8. britishguy

britishguy Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Common sense is right Jay and before you know it you have a useful resource, how should I know I guess because I have done business with jg123 since 2005 not long but around 2 years to establish respect and trust :cool:

And not only that jg123 runs a great bunch of directories:cool:

britishguy, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  9. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the kind words brithishguy, yes we have done business quite a few times and it has always worked out for both of us.

I don't say I am better than anyone else but I have worked hard and made many mistakes along the way and am still working on getting better. Directories have been a great learning experience and it has been hard to watch the many attempts to discredit my friends and colleagues. Hopefully the trolls will find somewhere else to hang-out. I personally like a good debate but most of the naysayer’s don't even own a directory and many profess to not submitting to them, so why do they even waste their time here?

jg123, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  10. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Not quite. I have, in several threads, provided evidence to back up my opinions. I think you're suffereing from a case of "selective input" - what you don't want to hear doesn't exist.

Some of the evidence I've cited comes directly or indirectly from Google. It's there for anyone to read. Why haven't you read it?

Exactly. Like all those directory owners with their heads in the sand.

I own three albeit small niche directories. I haven't been hurt by recent Google actions because I wasn't doing any of the things that Google has been punishing: I wasn't selling PR, I wasn't giving top billing to the highest bidder, I wasn't interlinking with every other directory owner I could find, I wasn't buying and selling forum signature links - and I was rejecting about 80-90% of submissions and finding site on my own to populate the directories, using the principle of "if I wouldn't endorse this site myself, it's not going to get a listing in my directory".

Scamming and manipulation is still scamming and manipulation whether it's a directory, a bidding directory, a blog, or a word cloud site. They may be different kinds of crap but it still smells pretty much the same.

Answers to what questions exactly? I think it's far more likely that you've been provided with answers you don't want to hear and therefore ignore.

minstrel, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  11. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I read a lot and often, if you feel i need to read any particular documents elsewhere please point me in the direction, thats a genuine and polite suggestion by the way.

With respect to the many directory owners out there, i dont think that you can place them all into one category, these are all individual people who you cant claim to know properly, its really not polite to try and bunch a whole lot of people together because they happen to bein the same type of business.

Minstrel, one of my 4 directories is mildly affected, i wasn't selling pr either, theres no bidding feature on any of mine, i wasn't interlinking, mine are fairly new so i dont get that many submissions yet to be even rejecting large amounts.

And i have a similar principle, i reject if im uncomfortable with what a site is related to, promoting, linking to etc.

Sure there are scammers in this business, i think anyone reasonable will agree with you, but theres so much trashing that it bundles everyone into the same category, innocent or not, it has the domino effect, perfectly ok people here suffer from all this trashing of our businesses.

While it can be suggested that people are trying to clean the world of directories up, do you really think that its ok to be treating all directories and their owners the same.

Everything said has a consequence.

Regarding questions and answers, well a number of people are quick on telling people to get their act together so people ask how? and the so called experts always go quiet at that point, like their outside the whole situation completely.

Regarding myself, i dont know what it is im meant to be hearing, ive already read and taken on board much useful information from many here who have suggested how to improve things.

pipes, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  12. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Im very open to what you have to say Minstrel, id rather learn and talk with you, not argue and entertain others.

Why not hang around the directory section for other posting too, not just the "i told you so" types of posts and threads.

Im always willing to step back and read and learn, i can always repect and appreciate new and useful information.

If the same information is being regurgitated then its not so useful for myself or anyone else.

pipes, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  13. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    o·pin·ion (ə-pĭn'yən) pronunciation
    n.

1. A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof: “The world is not run by thought, nor by imagination, but by opinion” (Elizabeth Drew).

Response:

con·tra·dic·tion (kŏn'trə-dĭk'shən) pronunciation
    n.

a. The act of contradicting.
    b. The state of being contradicted.
    2. A denial.
    3. Inconsistency; discrepancy.
    4. Something that contains contradictory elements.

I think you are suffering from your own prognosis.

an0n, Oct 23, 2007 IP
    1 person likes this.
  14. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Pipes, i asked him the same yesterday. It seems minstrel only enjoys the "bullshit. you are wrong"/ "everyone is a scammer type posts"

I shall look forward to the posts where minstrel advises newbies, makes threads to discuss good topical issues like quality control in a web directory for example.

mikey1090, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  15. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    mikey, i would actually appreciate having Mistrel around this section more often, i dont underestimate him, nor anyone actually, and i recognise him as clearly educated and of rational thinking, with strong opinions, which is always good.

Its just disheartening to see someone only appear in a particular section as if to rub salt into the wounds and take pleasure from something that i could never justify enjoying.

I will step back any day to learn new and fresh information.

pipes, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  16. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I think perhaps you mean "diagnosis" not "prognosis".

That's a rather narrow definition of an opinion. Lawyers give opinions backed by evidence all the time. So do judges. So do scientific researchers.

An opinion backed by evidence is more useful than an opinion with no evidence to back it up.

You just aren't looking for them or you are ignoring them when you find them. I have posted several links to Google web pages, statements by Matt Cutts, statements by others like randfish backed by interviews with Google employees or data, etc. One of those was posted in another DP thread this morning.

Do a search for "posts made by minstrel". They shouldn't be difficult to find, assuming you really want to find them.

As for advice on what directory owners should be doing, I think I gave you some in this thread, above:

Add to that "Don't start new bidding directories and if you have an existing bidding directory get rid of it". I gave you that advice and more on another forum, mikey, and of course you chose to ignore it.

minstrel, Oct 23, 2007 IP
  17. abhishekdaaga

abhishekdaaga Guest

Best Answers:
    Many people are using the word "trolls" again and again. I was just curious to know whom do you refer to as trolls ? All those who speak negative or bad against directories are called trolls right ? So why not make a rule here that posting against directories is not allowed. All you can post is xxx directory is great... yyy member owning zzz directory which has xK backlinks in yahoo is so great..

abhishekdaaga, Oct 23, 2007 IP
    enQuira likes this.
  18. syted

syted Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would consider you as a fine example, you are one of the many that weren't around 3 months ago but since the Google changes you have come here and joined in threads such as this to stir up bad feeling.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

syted, Oct 23, 2007 IP
    pipes likes this.
  19. malcolm1

Best Answers:
    *TROLL*

someone who intentionally posts controversial or contrary messages in an online community
    such as an online discussion forum or USENET, with the intention of baiting users into
    an argumentative response.

Authors Quote: Troll is he that setteth naught by no man, nor no man by him.
    This is he that would bear rule in a place and hath no authority nor thanks nor Web Directory :p ,
    and at last is thrust out of the door like a knave.

*TROLL-ET*

Is someone whom follows the troll in an attempt to gain notarity or popularity
    by self indulgence or within a group in an attempt to manipulate or sway the
    truth or facts and create utter havoc in a discussions forum and assist in
    argumentative responses helping the troll just for a main purpose of argument.

Now to have a "conversation" and "debate" upon some related topic in a "polite way" without
    becoming abusive is the proper way off conducting a forum conversation.

thx
    malcolm

20. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That's the damn word I was looking for. thx.

But it is just that; an 'opinion' and not a fact.

Also they do not play the judge, jury and prosecution like you try and do here.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it will always be just that, of course, unless you are google.

So what you may think and what is the truth you could never comment on with certainty and/or try and pass it off as he end all be all see all absolute.
    It will always be just an allegation.

an0n, Oct 23, 2007 IP