1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

download.com - biggest virus spreader (conduit.com)

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by stats, Mar 7, 2014.

it is very sad that download.com has now become the biggest virus spreader by forcing their "download tool" which sneak-installs the conduit.com adware virus .

conduit.com is a browser search hijack which takes an advanced user some extra efforts and tools to uninstall, and leaves almost no chance for ordinary users.

my open question to all search engines is that why do they allow those criminals to 1. hijack their search results, 2. to appear on their search listings at all.

shame on CNET and download.com for deliberately spreading this virus, and i believe CNET should be sued a HUGE amount of money for damaging millions of computers.

I wonder if there is any lawyer who will start a collective act against CNET and against especially those conduit.com criminals to shut them down and get a HUGE penalty

p.s. DO NOT download anything from download.com (download.cnet.com) - you will get infected !!!!

stats, Mar 7, 2014 IP
  2. Python1.com Hosting

Python1.com Hosting Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree, i stopped using that site 5-6 years ago. Most of everything i downloaded always came with a virus.

Python1.com Hosting, Mar 7, 2014 IP
  3. ProSEO Show

ProSEO Show Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yeah, download.com used to be that spot, but it went downhill quick. Conduit has certainly covered their a** with legal disclaimers / fine print throughout the installers I'm sure...highly doubt they'll feel any repercussions of their intentionally malicious practices.

On the topic of SE's allowing it, download.com is the least of their problems and they allow things that are much worse to appear in their SERPs. Google has a strong agenda for and against certain morale things and others they just completely disregard - i guess one of the disregarded ones would be borderline malicious installers on hugely popular websites.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    ProSEO Show, Mar 7, 2014 IP
  4. e-S

e-S Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I had to learn this by the hard way i downloaded once something from download.com and was forced to reinstall my windows in those times i was a windows user but now i am more relaxed with a linux distro.

e-S, Mar 7, 2014 IP
  5. stats

stats Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    just found this on wikipedia ..

now it's clear whom it belongs and who lobbies for that crap ..

i wonder how many police will arrive during first day if an ordinary guy were to create such a criminal malware-spreading project .. but since it is based in .. and backed by .. and it's valuation ranges widely by above 1 billion dollars (meaning they don't even report it .. a nice way to play with taxes and stocks) .. yes sure Mr. "world-owners" .. of course you have the right to %$!@#$ us all and we just have to eat it.

my personal verdict is .. download.com no more exists for me, along with the whole CNET ..

also if you happen to be infected with this crap, try clicking every add they show before you uninstall it, so that their advertisers hopefully go away from them due to low-quality traffic.

stats, Mar 9, 2014 IP