1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Double 'O' Syndrome

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by jkomp, Dec 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Double 'o' Syndrome
    By: Thomas Jenkins

Have you noticed how many of the Internet's most successful companies contain two 'o's in their name. These include: Google, Yahoo, Wanadoo and even Microsoft, to name but a few. And those that don't have 2 O's contain at least one, hotmail, Nintendo and yes, even JKomp. This article aims to answer the question why? And how much of the double 'o' companies' success can be attributed to this odd choice of vowel content.

I believe one reason for using 2 O's is for the sake of spelling when someone says yahoo it is immediately obvious how it is spelt. Repeated letters in a name also help with typing ease. Making sure your customer gets your name right is very important, especially on the Internet, a typo can aid your competitors.

So Why 2 O's? Why not three or even four? The double o is easy to pronounce and is perhaps the most memorable and distinct vowel sound possible. It is distinct but soft, helping to soften the sound of the business name, reducing the hard 'g' sounds in Google and complementing the soft consonants of yahoo. A long ooooooo sound is soft and relaxing, while a long eeee sound creates anxiety and clearly a long iii or uu would not flow. So onto the question of why 2 O's not 3 or 4.

It is also partly due to balance, in marketing it is important to achieve balance, the name Google is balance. Each g is attached to three other letters. The name Yahoo is also balanced about the h, with two letters either side, the first creating an ascending sound and then a descending sound. To have Gooogle or Yahooo would be excessive and would destroy the balance, it would also serve to create ambiguity about the spelling, 'is it 2o's or 3?' Furthermore, 3 or more O's together become blurred and instantly reduced the brand recognition factor. It is, however, important to note that both Google and Yahoo register the excess 'o' versions of their domains, in case people put in tooooo many.

So double o syndrome helps marketability, creating: ease of spelling and typing input, a more friendly company name, better brand recognition and balance. Little wonder O's are taking over the world! NOTE: When you are lOOking for a marketable name always consider the double 'o' but remember it will not automatically provide a quality product or service, which will ultimately determine the success of your business.

jkomp, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  2. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamerâ„¢

Best Answers:
    Hmmm, my domain name has 6 'O' I'm gonna be rich!

Roman, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  3. jkomp

jkomp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    haha yeah lol - thats why i added:
    NOTE: When you are lOOking for a marketable name always consider the double 'o' but remember it will not automatically provide a quality product or service, which will ultimately determine the success of your business.

jkomp, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  4. naw

naw Peon

Best Answers:
    Very opportune this article, I like! :)

naw, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  5. SumitBahl

SumitBahl Reign of Chaos

Best Answers:
    Quite an intersting find you have made here. Nice article.
    Will try my luck in the new domain i register. :)

SumitBahl, Dec 6, 2005 IP
  6. jkomp

jkomp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Glad you like it.

jkomp, Dec 8, 2005 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.