1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dotster stole my domain name

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by sem-profiteer, Jul 24, 2014.

I bought a xxx.review website from Dotster.com and had my credit card charged.

When I went to change the DNS settings, Dotster had removed this URL from my account and now has it placed as a premium domain name selling the domain I bought for $26 is now selling for $3500. What are my options in getting the domain back that I purchased?

sem-profiteer, Jul 24, 2014 IP
  2. sem-profiteer

sem-profiteer Active Member

Best Answers:
    Update from Dotster is that they will only give the domain if I pay the $3500 fee even though they already charged my credit card when I bought it the first time. The domain should be mine regardless if they want to bill me more later, right? I own it if I paid for it!?

sem-profiteer, Jul 24, 2014 IP
  3. ceebee

ceebee Active Member

Best Answers:
    are you sure you bought it? or simply paid for the right to buy it?

unless you were purchasing a currently unregistered domain name (and the price you paid seems too high for that) you were probably paying for a back-ordering service - which is like paying for air. Back-ordering does not guarantee you get the domain name.

Best thing you can do is tell them you misunderstood what you were buying and want your money back.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    ceebee, Jul 27, 2014 IP
  4. gilescoley

gilescoley Active Member

Best Answers:
    Did you actually see the domain in your account?

This often happens at registrars as the domain databases are not always "live" so it looks like its available and once you checkout and pay, the registrar sees the name is not actually available and they refund your money

gilescoley, Jul 27, 2014 IP