1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Don't we have right to warn people in sales threads?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by leet, Aug 5, 2007.

1. samantha pia

samantha pia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    the people that are looking at the itrader of the OP would notice when he has hit 2/3 negs and just need to report it, that way the mods dont really have anything to do.

samantha pia, Aug 7, 2007 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    But that doesn't verify that the itraders were given legitimately - as per the "rep gangs" of old.

It's still really important to view the threads people have itraders for, whether positive or negative. It's also important, if you give value to the post count, to review their posts to ensure that they are of high quality.

Here's an example of due diligence
    I was checking out a guy yesterday flogging a WordPress setup, theme and seo service who also had threads asking which WP file to make changes in and for css help. His sales thread looked good but based on his other current threads I'd be dubious about his ability to deliver.

Now, that might lead me to post a question asking how long he's been working with WP and how many themes he's coded from scratch and for some examples of his SEO successes. That will either be a "spoiler" warning others or information I need - depending on my actual reason for checking.

sarahk, Aug 7, 2007 IP
    login likes this.
  3. samantha pia

Best Answers:
    i dont think it would take to long to see a rep gang at work with itrader, itrader is open to view by everyone, who gave what and why. were as rep is not linked to a person that gave it, so thats easy for a rep gang to abuse.

sawz likes this.
  4. Skinny

Skinny Peon

Best Answers:
    That's a great point Sarah. Every member should always try to be as diligent as possible when buying something.

However, your example is probably not the most fitting. Let's say that I did buy his service I probably wouldn't get the results as I probably wanted.

But the seller here isn't doing anything illegal. He isn't selling a script that he doesn't have rights to etc.

In those situations wouldn't it require more than subtle questions to ensure that gullible members aren't duped?

Skinny

Skinny, Aug 7, 2007 IP
  5. samantha pia

Best Answers:
    the guy ripped off ViciousSummer thats Shawn's sister, you saying she is gullible? if they can rip off VS they can rip off anyone. i still think the bets way to deal with it is the 2/3 neg reps in a thread, gets them banned or removes their posting rights in the BST for a month. if they try to bypass that then they get banned.

6. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You did the right thing.

Have some green.

Thanks brian

Brian1970, Aug 7, 2007 IP
    MaryMary and bentong like this.
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    We all have our moments! the care we take may differ depending on the $ value of the transaction.

That, incidentally, is why the best scammers ask for modest amounts so people think it's a fair price. Too little or too much and they start asking questions.

sarahk, Aug 7, 2007 IP
  8. hugodiaz

hugodiaz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm a n00b, and I'm thankful for some other DP members who helped me to avoid scams by asking the right questions or posting warnings. I really think DP should do something about illegal scripts or whatever else being sold here. Reputation is very important, and if you don't safeguard that you will eventually have nothing.

All I can say is that all the members who have taken flak just to help people like me is: THANK YOU! :) You have helped me avoid getting ripped off at least 7 times already.

hugodiaz, Aug 7, 2007 IP
    MaryMary likes this.
  9. Skinny

Skinny Peon

Best Answers:
    I never stated or implied that people scammed in that thread to which you are referring were gullible.

If you reread my post you will see that I state that those buying illegal scripts who aren't aware of things such as resell rights and don't know that they are illegal, etc. are gullible (and through no fault of their own).

Sarah didn't point to the thread so I'm not aware of the specifics. It seemed to me that this person she was referring to was a newbie coder/designer who couldn't deliver on his promises to work as well as people thought he could.

A case of misrepresentation.

I think I've tracked down the thread to this one to which you are referring to Samantha:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=230577

Repeatedly promising to do work in a specific time frame. . .getting money and running is clearly a scam.

But I might add that this situation actually gives credence to the argument that people need to report such things.

For example:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?p=2438258
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=426011

In the end this member was banned (and I'm not sure how much but I'm sure part of it was thanks to the member bringing it up and making other members aware).

Skinny

Skinny, Aug 8, 2007 IP
  10. samantha pia

Best Answers:
    i think it was more to do with me pointing out that he had ripped off VS,

samantha pia, Aug 8, 2007 IP
  11. siteman

siteman Guest

Best Answers:
    If what DP wants is to have a lot of new threads in BST, I think it's heading to the right direction in the short term.

It's basically encouraging anyone to sell anything here, even if you don't own it. The OP 'owns' the thread with no cost, can invites friends to say good things about him in the thread, and can threaten to cause ban to anyone who say bad things to 'ruin' his sales thread.

In sitepoint at least you have to pay $20 in order to own a thread, and OP/mod just remove the thread instead of threatening ban the 'good guys'.

In the long term, personally I'm feeling less and less comfortable buying things in here, esp if more & more 'good guys' are banned, and quality of traffic will go down I think.

As a typical case, I have seen a sales thread here a month ago. The OP posts some traffic stats for a site, which he got from other sales forums. The real owner found out, registered an id in DP and called scam with good proofs. The scammer just shut up in that thread, nothing happen to him, and he continues to do his other biz on DP till now.
    Somehow the real owner got himself banned after a couple of weeks which I couldn't find out the reason by researching his threads.

So now if I see the scammer sells the site again, I can only keep my mouth shut... just like when I'm in a communist country.. anyway my post will be removed and I just risk myself banned.
    All these happen perfectly within current DP's guidelines if I understand it correctly.

I still have hope, but my conscience may make me migrate to some freer space someday.

siteman, Aug 9, 2007 IP
  12. DevilHellz

DevilHellz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This isn't Nazi Germany, man. You can speak out what's on your mind. You won't get banned for giving an opinion on a matter. There are alot of reasons many get banned, and giving an opinion that others might not agree with, is not one of those reasons.

DevilHellz, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  13. Robert Allen

Robert Allen Peon

Best Answers:
    But that is one of the reasons it can cause you have to have negative reputation. At least agree with a few people, or you will look unpopular.

Rob

Robert Allen, Aug 10, 2007 IP
  14. DevilHellz

DevilHellz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Are you in a forum to look popular ? Are you in DP for the reputation ?
    It may come as a shock, but some people here actually speak their mind about certain subjects without thinking if someone will agree with them or not. What's the purpose of an individual who is a member in this forum, who posts just for the heck of being "popular and cool" ?

DevilHellz, Aug 11, 2007 IP
  15. samantha pia

Best Answers:
    i speak my mind a lot, just ask Crazy_Rob :D

samantha pia, Aug 11, 2007 IP
    minstrel and MaryMary like this.
  16. funkymario

funkymario Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i second that, "Popular" ? whats the hell is that ? are we in a high school or what? who cares? I always speak my mind, i have my own vision and ideas i am not a follower but a free soul, however great minds thinks alike so i often "naturally" agree or have people agree with me in discussions.

anyway with the number of young members and kids here, am not surprised to see this stupid "cool" and "popular" attitude, one day they will grow up and start expressing themself.

funkymario, Aug 11, 2007 IP
    Kaediem likes this.