1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

domain vs sub-domain

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by ajnin, Sep 1, 2005.

ok i may have been wrongbut i was under the impression that a subdomain is treated by google as a regular domain. i see a flaw in this concept as i have been crawled and indexed in a matter of a week or two.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=dir.ajnin&btnG=Search

the only links on the net i know of are from these forums and another webmaster forums.

so my question is, whats going on? should i waste money purchasing hundreds of domain names just to get stuck playign with everyone else in the dirty sandbox, or should i just stick everything on a subdomain of a already indexed site?

ajnin, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  2. heapseo

heapseo Peon

Best Answers:
    I was just thinking the same thing, would be very interested to hear peoples thoughts

heapseo, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  3. Willy

Willy Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, obviously, a subdomain doesn't have any "registration date" (aside from the parent domain's) that Google could determine, but they can still record the date when they saw the first links to the subdomain (when it first "picked up" your site).

For keywords, subdomans do seem to rank about the same as domains, as both are components that make up the actual host name and that is probably what Google concerns itself with, not as much the individual parts of the host name.

In your case, keep in mind though that getting crawled and indexed doesn't mean you aren't in the so-called sandbox or "probationary period". (I can get Google to index my sites, that are on a new TLD, in a week or two as well, no problem.) As far as I've understood it, the sandbox is more about being able to rank in SERPs, not about getting indexed in the first place.

Recommend you search the forum, there's lots of previous info on this. See also the recent discussion about domain.uk.com-style domains, which are essentially just subdomains.

Willy, Sep 1, 2005 IP
    Nitin M likes this.
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, I think that's one advantage of a subdomain to an established site over a new domain -- it allows you to avoid the sandbox.

minstrel, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  5. ajnin

ajnin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    well its definatly not sandboxed, theres 4 more pages today when i do a site:dir.ajnin.com

ajnin, Sep 1, 2005 IP
  6. Nitin M

Nitin M White/Gray/Black Hat

Best Answers:
    Sandboxed doesn't refer to how many pages get indexed. It refers to indexed sites/pages not being returned in serps.

I agree that subdomains seem to inherit the sandbox status of the base; If the base isn't sandbox'ed it doesn't appear the subs are either.

Nitin M, Sep 1, 2005 IP
    Willy likes this.
  7. wiarus

wiarus Peon

Best Answers:
    hi,
    why does the sub allows to avoid the sandbox? can you please explain it.

wiarus, Sep 2, 2005 IP
  8. SaN-DeeP

SaN-DeeP Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I doubt this, should confirm, why will a subdomain avoid sandbox ?
    but i have found domains with multiple subdomains getting more advantages (content indexing) comparatively (by experience)

SaN-DeeP, Sep 2, 2005 IP
  9. simplexity

simplexity Peon

Best Answers:
    I also doubt it. just imagine you could have a good quality site and then create hundreds of sub sites with unnatural links increasing your chances of getting sandboxed but then never getting sandboxed just because the site is a subdomain. It seems this would be a whole in the system?

simplexity, Sep 2, 2005 IP
  10. SaN-DeeP

SaN-DeeP Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Very much agree to this point, nicely put up simplexity.

SaN-DeeP, Sep 2, 2005 IP
  11. Nitin M

Best Answers:
    I didn't say the subdomain is immune to getting sandboxed. I'm saying it starts out not sandboxed (if the base isn't). I've experienced this many times. Subdomain or domain - if you go overboard you can get knocked out of serps.

Nitin M, Sep 2, 2005 IP
  12. ajnin

ajnin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    what in your opinion is overboard? 10 subs, 50?

ajnin, Sep 2, 2005 IP
  13. Nitin M

Best Answers:
    I've never had more than about 50 subs but usually it is 2 or 3 and can't say I've ever noticed a problem. I wasn't refering to number of subs when I said don't go overboard.

What I meant to say is if you go overboard with link building for a subdomain it probably is no diff from going overboard on the main domain and you could get it thrown into the sandbox even though in the beginning (and from my experience with gradual building) it isn't sandbox'ed.

Nitin M, Sep 2, 2005 IP
  14. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Most days, I have trouble getting through even 1 sub... assuming you mean the footlongs and not the 6-inch snack subs. Well, maybe I could make it through 2 meatball subs... they don't seem as filling.

minstrel, Sep 2, 2005 IP
    Nitin M likes this.
  15. ajnin

ajnin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    right, those meatballs are kinda full of air and fluffy...

ajnin, Sep 2, 2005 IP