1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Domain Too Long?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by livenomadic, Feb 19, 2006.

Introduction

I have a brand new site with only 1 inbound link, 0 traffic and in the Sandbox, so I do not care if I remake the site.

Currently the site is called "Technology and Widget" and is at the domain: TechnologyandWidget.com. The problem I am facing is that the domain is just too long. At one site I tried entering my email in a text field and couldn't because emodo@technologyandWidget.com was too many characters. Furthermore the urls for the site are all very long because the domain is 19 characters.

I have searched long and hard for alternative domain, but since "Technology" and "Widget" are both incredibly popular keywords I have had no luck. Everything is already registered.

The Choice

Last night, inspired by Ubuntu I took out an swahili dictionary and looked up "Widget" and found a great Swahili word for it: Wondui (fake example). Now I am having trouble deciding:

TechnologyandWidget.com (19 Characters)
    Wondui.com (6 Characters)

The Question

What would you do? Stick with a 19 character descriptive domain or go for a 6 character fake word?

livenomadic, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  2. clasione

clasione Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think I would cut technology to "tech" since it is probably saturated to hell anyway....

clasione, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  3. 59ideas

59ideas Peon

Best Answers:
    I registered KenandTheArtofMotorcycleMaintenance.com just for the hack of it.

In general short name is more handy if you type it all over the place.

Tell you what, keep the long name, register the short name, alias the long name to the short name.

59ideas, Feb 21, 2006 IP
  4. Skinny

Skinny Peon

Best Answers:
    Go with Wondui,

Branding is in right now. Besides Google gives very little weight to keywords in the domain.

Skinny

Skinny, Feb 21, 2006 IP