1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Domain not working without WWW prefix

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by JohnS0N, Sep 17, 2007.

1. JMRJustin

JMRJustin Peon

Best Answers:
    Couldn't access solution link above, so tried this:

"Un-Redirect" the domain through Godaddy.com console (assuming you already selected redirect to an active domain name)

Choose instead Set up free starter page

Using GoDaddy's Starter Web Page Wizard choose a template and keep going until you find a space where you can add text

Add code <meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="0; url=http://www.YourDomain.com">

Seems to have fixed for with & without the www

JMRJustin, Dec 1, 2010 IP
  2. HiTMAN69

HiTMAN69 Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks cbrende, i had that problem a while back and gave up!

HiTMAN69, Dec 5, 2010 IP
  3. @DarrellWolfe

@DarrellWolfe Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I realize this question was posted in 2007 and it's not 2014. But I had the same issue and I just figured it out. To recap the issue.

The user uses Blogger, but buys a domain name from a separate host. The user can get the domain name to work with the "www" but not without it. So:

www.darrellwolfe.com works.
    darrellwolfe.com goes to a google 401 Error

There is a SIMPLE fix and it's way easier than anything else mentioned here on this line back in 2007.

It may have been different in 2007. But I now find that under "Settings>Basic>Publishing>Blog Address..." area; (the same place you tell Blogger to redirect your blogger ID darrellwolfe.blogspot.com to your hosted domain www.darrellwolfe.com); there is a check mark box that you can just click on "Redirect darrellwolfe.com to www.darrellwolfe.com". Then hit save. It actually worked for me in 45 seconds.

I put this fix into my article on how to put your domain name on your blogger account and put a picture of the box you are looking for on my article if you want to see it.

PS: It's always a good idea to do your website and domain name through different services!

If you want to know why read my post on setting up a domain name on Blogger (http://www.darrellwolfe.com/2014/01/how-to-use-bloggercom-to-host-custom-domain-names.html)

@DarrellWolfe, Apr 9, 2014 IP
  4. Snehal Masne

Snehal Masne Member

Best Answers:
    The best way to get the naked domain (the one without the 'www') working, is to set up a '301 redirect' in your GoDaddy account to push visitors from 'yourdomain .com' to 'www .yourdomain .com'.

I tracked down GoDaddy's redirect set up instructions for you at and have also included them below:

To create a redirect in GoDaddy:

1) Log in to your Account Manager.
    2) From the My Products section, click Web Hosting.
    3) Next to the hosting account you want to use, click Launch.
    4) From the Content menu, select URL Redirects.
    5) Click the New Redirect button. The New Redirect window displays.
    6) Enter the domain you want to redirect. (yourdomain .com)
    7) Select to have all instances of your site without .www to be redirected. When you're finished, click Next. The To window displays.
    8) Select 'http' as the destination site. Enter domain name, e.g. www.TechProceed.com as the domain name you want to redirect to. You can leave the path box blank. Click Next. The Type window appears.
    9) Select a '301 redirect'
    10) Select your content redirect option. You will probably want to select 'match path' though you can visit GoDaddy's article at the above URL for more information on the three options.

This should help you get set up. Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
    Snehal Masne, Apr 26, 2014 IP
  5. Snehal Masne

Snehal Masne Member

Best Answers:
    Alternatively, you could follow below steps which solves this problem, for sure, if you're using GoDaddy and google apps :

1. Go to Google Apps and sign in to domain management.

2. Then click on domain settings.

3. Then click on domain Names.

4. Then Click on words highlighted to set a redirect via google apps and you should see it done within 3 hours or MAX 2 DAYS (though it usually does not take more than a day in the rarest case).Just follow the simple english instructions there and you should see it done.

More details and reference :

http://www.techproceed.com/2014/05/custom-domain-setup-on-blogger-with.html

Snehal Masne, Jul 9, 2014 IP
  6. Mithchen

Mithchen Member

Best Answers:
    Seems you got some issues while pointing your IP

Mithchen, Dec 30, 2016 IP